Torque wrench and impact gun question

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2018 5:38 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
544 posts
78 upvotes

Torque wrench and impact gun question

So I had costco swap the tires for new winter tires.

The specs say my wheel nuts should be torqued to 76

I noticed they did use a torque wrench but before that they blasted it with an air powered impact gun.

Do they just use the impact gun to get it below 76 and then torque the rest manually or are they being lazy and only using the torque wrench to make sure the nuts are not loose ?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4204 posts
1837 upvotes
Toronto
Did you see coloured stick on their impact gun? Even so, how do they know the torque spec on your car? Did you tell them?

Generally, tire shops use 100lb torque stick and hammer it few times and call it a day. Some would switch to hand torque wrench set 90 to 100 depending on the shop and make sure wheel is on.

Regardless, I think the responses some shop give that they do use either torque stick or torque wrench set at 100lbs is too much for most car.

Either tell them your spec and watch them do it or buy torque wrench and do it yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2387 posts
2441 upvotes
GTA
THS wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 6:27 pm
Do they just use the impact gun to get it below 76 and then torque the rest manually...
Yes.
Jun 10, 2008
361 posts
230 upvotes
Halton Hills
Costco uses torque limited airguns to put the lug nuts on. Then torque with a torque wrench. They are one of few shops that torque wheels properly.
Last edited by thisischris on Nov 28th, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3257 posts
2572 upvotes
The NORTH
thisischris wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 6:33 am
Costco uses torque limited airguns to put the lug nuts on. The torque with a torque wrench. They are one of few shops that torque wheels properly.
This. Is suprising how many people think a torque gun is an unlimited torque device. The gun itself can be set to a pre determined torque. It won't be perfect but 'blasting' it won't over torque it more than a pound of two from where the gun is set.

Of all the garages to be worried about... Costco? :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2387 posts
2441 upvotes
GTA
Exactly. I set my impact wrench at home to about half-power when putting wheels on. That gets the lug nuts to about 50 lb-ft. Then set the car down, and torque to spec.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2050 posts
1127 upvotes
They put the tire on how most shops put it on. They “blast” it for a split second then torque the tires afterwards. At Costco they have a torque book and use it accordingly