Off Topic

Torstar to be taken private - Is the Toronto Star toast?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2020 4:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5671 posts
596 upvotes

Torstar to be taken private - Is the Toronto Star toast?

Five families that built and grew media conglomerate Torstar Corp. have agreed to hand the newspapers they presided over for roughly 70 years to a Canadian investment firm that plans to take the company private.

The owner of the Toronto Star and other community newspapers revealed Tuesday evening that it reached a $52-million acquisition deal with NordStar Capital LP, a firm run by businessmen Paul Rivett and Jordan Bitove.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/newsa ... 24424.html

I am not saying the brand will disappear, but I am pretty sure there will be a major shift in it editorial policy.
Last edited by CheapScotch on May 28th, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
40 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19220 posts
3359 upvotes
Toronto
So now every news organization in the country with the exception of the CBC is owned by hard-right ideologues who want to control the media to spread their propaganda
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3949 posts
1917 upvotes
I like the Star investigation pieces, but understand this is costly journalism.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3949 posts
1917 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: So now every news organization in the country with the exception of the CBC is owned by hard-right ideologues who want to control the media to spread their propaganda
CBC is definitely needed even more today.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8269 posts
2877 upvotes
Mississauga
Didn't take long for political propaganda to show up.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8962 posts
2565 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Piro21 wrote: So now every news organization in the country with the exception of the CBC is owned by hard-right ideologues who want to control the media to spread their propaganda
The corporate capitalist media is the propaganda arm for the corporate capitalists. We can expect to see even more promotion of their organizations like the Fraser Institute and the misleadingly named “Canadian Taxpayers Federation”.

Whenever you see reference to the CTF remember that 99.9999% of Canadian taxpayers cannot sign up to be members of the CTF.

It is referred to as an “AstroTurf” organization. It “looks like” a grassroots organization like grass, but, like AstroTurf, it is actually artificial, not being what it pretends to be.

The CTF is a private club that has only five members. Those five members decide who will replace them as members. A spokesperson once “defended” this model saying,
“The truth is that we sometimes have four, sometimes six and currently we have five. According to our bylaws we can have as few as three and as many as 20."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba ... -1.3802441

Fortunately there are some alternative, subscriber supported media in Canada. The National Observer, Tyee, and Narwhal are examples.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/
https://thetyee.ca/
https://thenarwhal.ca/
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1113 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
Barely read the Star. Mainly scan it's headlines. Once in a while there's a decent piece published, but that's few and far between.

Really hard to survive in this digital environment. Not sure how they've managed to hold on for so long.
Nov 21, 2012
353 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
Whenever all current national newspapers go out of commission is still not soon enough. They should have all shutdown 10 years ago! Toronto Star in particular is such anti-Canadian media and their "journalists" like Shree, Rosie and Bruce are no better than blog writers. The first one on the list is a troll. Whoever run that organization is a complete moron thinking with divisive figures like those they can make money as a public business. One thing you do not want in business is someone so controversial and divisive like those. Hopefully their new owners strip them down to the bones, such a disgraceful news outlet!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5671 posts
596 upvotes
Would you consider the Globe and Mail to be "hard right"?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3595 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
CheapScotch wrote: Would you consider the Globe and Mail to be "hard right"?
What do you consider as being "hard right"?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6395 posts
3400 upvotes
Aurora
I think the Toronto Star is a decent paper and would certainly consider it having left-wing politics. I agree with some stances they take and disagree with some. The exception is Shree Paradkar (Race & Gender Columnist); I hate that gasbag. Anyway, I think categorizing the Globe as "hard right" is unfair and equivalent to labeling The Star as "Antifa-left" - it just ain't so. No mainstream printed media is "hard right" like Rebel Media, in my opinion.
Oct 14, 2017
642 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Sarcasm doesn't translate well in writing.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
1357 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Damn that liberal media! Looks like RFD can finally show its support with Toronto Star now.

Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
Jordan bitove is somewhat of a rookie in this size of business..the family has deep pockets but arent the most ethical..
it will be interesting to see the direction the paper goes as the family has always been die hard cons (dad was Mulroneys chief fundraiser)