Food & Drink

Tortilla Jian Bing from Kenji Lopez-Alt

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2020 2:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham

Tortilla Jian Bing from Kenji Lopez-Alt

I saw this on Reddit and it's on my very soon hit list as ingredients are pretty accessible. Thought I'd bring it to RFD.

My only comment is that's it's missing "crispy" - perhaps some potato chips should be added.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
Made this more than a few times since i found this recipe hack. I actually had some fried won ton skins as well so i added that just like the street version of this snack.... You can probably use potato chips but i didn't have that.

Absolutely delicious. So good. So easy.

If you have extra or leftover tortilla wrappers on hand try it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1906 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for sharing- will try this!
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
riseagainstthemachine wrote: damn that looks good!
My pics...really tasty snack. I used one egg, Hoisin sauce and Siracha for some heat. Chop the green onion and coriander and store it in the freezer, you can pretty much make it whenever the urge hits you if you have tortillas.
IMG_20200105_123917.jpg
IMG_20200105_123903.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3060 posts
1857 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: My pics...really tasty snack. I used one egg, Hoisin sauce and Siracha for some heat. Chop the green onion and coriander and store it in the freezer, you can pretty much make it whenever the urge hits you if you have tortillas.

IMG_20200105_123917.jpg

IMG_20200105_123903.jpg
looks good. im going to do this for sure, all things that i usually have in the fridge anyway. what else would be good to add to this?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
riseagainstthemachine wrote: looks good. im going to do this for sure, all things that i usually have in the fridge anyway. what else would be good to add to this?
You could add some sliced meats or even cheese I suppose....but then we're drifting into burrito/taco area.

For those who don't know what Jian Bing is. Here's how it's made in China.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2005
573 posts
105 upvotes
Richmond
If you are in GVR, T&T Lansdowne has them (made on the spot) for $5 with a choice of beef or sausage.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4488 posts
1065 upvotes
I've done this with onion/scallion pancakes before learning about jian bing. Downside is that the onion pancakes tend to be thicker.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1638 posts
1048 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: You could add some sliced meats or even cheese I suppose....but then we're drifting into burrito/taco area.

For those who don't know what Jian Bing is. Here's how it's made in China.

Interesting, basically a Chinese version of Indian dosa, or even a French crepe.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3060 posts
1857 upvotes
did it yesterday and both my wife and i loved it. thanks op. super easy and tasty. might throw some sliced meats in next time to bulk it up for a meal but the flavour was great.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
riseagainstthemachine wrote: did it yesterday and both my wife and i loved it. thanks op. super easy and tasty. might throw some sliced meats in next time to bulk it up for a meal but the flavour was great.
Glad you liked it. Guarantee you'll make it again very soon [like me].
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
my0gr81 wrote: Interesting, basically a Chinese version of Indian dosa, or even a French crepe.
I bought some MTR Indian Dosa/Idli mix in my cupboard -> from watching Priya on BonApetit. Gonna try that soon as it means I don't have to have Tortillas on hand [which I don't all the time].
idli Capture.JPG
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3060 posts
1857 upvotes
made this last night again with 2 eggs, cilantro, green onions, hoisen, siracha, a bit of shredded cheese, thinly sliced grilled pork chop.... awesome.

Top