Computers & Electronics

Toshiba Satellite L850D-00D or Samsung NP355V5C-A02CA (Links provided)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2013 11:27 pm
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
3 posts
Ottawa

Toshiba Satellite L850D-00D or Samsung NP355V5C-A02CA (Links provided)

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting so I hope I haven't posted in the wrong section or overlapped a post somehow (I did a forum search but didn't come across anything, so sorry if I missed something).

I received these two budget laptops for Christmas/New Years, and I just want to keep one: Toshiba Satellite L850D-00D or Samsung NP355V5C-A02CA

They are fairly similar:

Toshiba (15.6"):
- Processor: AMD A8-4500M
- Processor speed: 1.9 GHz
- Hard drive: 500 GB
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics chipset: AMD Radeon HD 7640G
- Battery life: up to 6 h
- Windows 8

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... e801dfen02

Samsung (15.6"):
- Processor: AMD A8-4500M
- Processor speed: 1.9 GHz
- Hard drive: 1 TB
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics chipset: AMD Radeon HD 7640G
- Battery life: unknown
- Windows 8

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... e81a8aen02

I went to Futureshop to check these out and ask the salesperson, but he just tried to sell me a more expensive computer.

For the Toshiba: I like the tile touchpad and look (it has a light-coloured, cross-pattern design on the outside lid that prevents visible fingerprint smudges), but it has a highly light-reflective screen. Unfortunately, the inside screen frame is glossy and smudges easily.

For the Samsung: I like the anti-reflective screen, but it seems quite dimmer than the glossy screens even at maximum brightness. Its much larger HD size is a bonus also. However, the darker glossy outside cover smudges really easily. The screen frame inside, however, is anti smudge and has a really nice feel to it.

I'm going to be using these mostly for school--taking notes, surfing the web--and at home and road trips--watching movies and the occasional low-demand game. Which computer would you recommend?

Thanks a lot, and so sorry for the long post!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2302 posts
363 upvotes
Edmonton
I would go with Toshiba as it is a trusted brand and you get warranty with both laptops.
Samsung is too new in laptops and their reliability and service quality is not much known albeit you get extra 500G of HDD space & BT with Samsung.

Both laptops will be fine for your needs. If Samsung had the backlit keyboard it would have been a keeper no question.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22174 posts
2831 upvotes
Just get the cheapest one but if I had to choose a brand, I would go Samsung over Toshiba
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
I got the Toshiba and It's not bad,I looked at the Samsung in the store and I didn't like it.
But keep on mind that the Samsung has Bluetooth and has NO Digital audio output .
Silence is the best answer to a fool