Off Topic Archive

Locked: Total cost of your wedding?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2010 1:23 am
Tags:
None

Poll: What was the total cost of your wedding festivities?

• Total votes: 412. You have voted on this poll.
less than $1000

12%
$1001 to $5000

11%
$5001 to $10000

10%
$10001 to $20000

18%
$20001 to $30000

16%
$30001 to $50000

12%
over $50000

21%
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
In answer to the hummer question,,,,,, our hall has its own black hummer they rent out for weddings that book through them for $125 and up depending how much you want to use it for.

Regarding photography. Our $600 price from a professional photographer was a special deal for a fri night. It includes up to 12hrs of time, 300-500 proofs (4x6) with album, cd, and 100 thankyou cards and his assistant working with him.

He has a special for 06 of 25% off his regular rates

www.thomhamiltonphotography.com
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3617 posts
92 upvotes
Freak wrote:Spent close to $10,000...

We went away to the Dominican Republic and got married...costs included...

Converting marriage license to spanish (roughly $200US)
Wedding package from resort we stayed at ($500US)
Limo 2 and from airport for ourselves and all our guests ($400CAN)
Photographer and pictures from the wedding ($300US)
Cost of flight, resort etc ($1800 X 2 = $3600)
Gifts for maid of honor and best man (approx. $200CAN)
Escursions and other unplanned things (approx. $500US)
Wedding Dress and Tuxes (approx. $1500CAN)
Converting marriage license to English (roughly $200US)

Only mistake we made was that we only went away for 1 week...so everyone that came spent the whole week with us and we didn't get much alone time. If I could do it over I would have went for 2 weeks...the second week would have been for myself and my wife only.

Seriously though...best way to get married...so many headaches with planning a big wedding here...I am not religious at all so it was easy to go away and get married...was originally going to do the marriage thing here...but it made so much more sense and was much more enjoyable going away.

Only negative was that not everyone could come...a good number of family and friends came...but it would have been nicer if more could have been there. It was also the easiest way to avoid having people there that only my parents wanted to invite!! LOL :D

Freak

I WISH we had done that - married to a lovely lady in 97, and I think we probably spent around $30k. If we were to do it over again, we'd go away. You pay all that money, all that work and then, boom, its over. Then do the cleanup with alot less money in your pocket... :cool:
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
my cousin spent over 70k, but thats cause 500ppl were attending

gotta rent banquet hall and pay the staff there, catering and the staff, church, place for taking pics, the media guys, etc
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24519 posts
1731 upvotes
Markham, ON
D-Sisive wrote:my cousin spent over 70k, but thats cause 500ppl were attending

gotta rent banquet hall and pay the staff there, catering and the staff, church, place for taking pics, the media guys, etc

wow...that must have hurt...but really i'd say 80% was for the reception for 500ppl and extra cost of a larger bride and groom party to host an event that large :)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:wow...that must have hurt...but really i'd say 80% was for the reception for 500ppl and extra cost of a larger bride and groom party to host an event that large :)

true if u have a small guest list it wont hurt

its renting a nice hall big enough to fit the guest that was 2nd most expensive on the list, #1 of course being food

the wedding party was 2 bestman + 3 groomsmen, 2 maid of honors + 3 bridesmaid

it was pretty hectic

i think they recovered a bit from the reception as most gifts were monetary..but it cost them 100 per plate and some people gave 50 or 75 (ie 100 for 2ppl, 150 for 2ppl)

they then went back to one of their coworkers wedding and paid 200 for both of them...only to find out the reception there cost them 15bux per plate cause it was indian buffet
Dec 16, 2003
743 posts
144 upvotes
Ajax
fireguy9 wrote:I am getting married in about 6 wks! I can tell you that the average photographer is not $2000. The average is more like $800-1000 for a full day package of good quality. If you book a fri or sun wedding you can do better then this with the discounts offered. We are a fri wedding and negotiated $600 for a excellent professional photographer.

If you negotiate, shop around, spend some time on wedding specialty sites, like weddingbells.ca, shop in the U.S and especially [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]EBAY[/rfdlink] you will save a lot of $$$$ We purchased, the wedding dress, garter, shoes,signing book, voitive candles, favor tags, wedding rings and more off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. The wedding dress alone was $1500 but from a special store on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] you can buy them from $100 and up.

Here is a breakdown roughly so far

Wedding Ceremony and reception at same hall:

Minister fee: $100
Flowers: $300
Gown: $200 with alterations,,(ebay)
Tux: $150
Car: $125 Hummer limo
Photographer: $600
Invitations: free (gift)
Rings : Groom $140 14k white gold band (ebay) $300 here
Brides ring $1200 (happened to come across a wedding been off and women wanted to sell her ring) Would of cost $4500 to buy otherwise.
wedding band $100 on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] ($350 in store here)

Banquet:
(for 150 ppl / more or less / $50 per person for meal plater style with unlimited refills on food and 7.5hr full open bar
Also includes the tax and gratuity,hall use, all decorations, seat covers, centre pieces included, and midnight buffet, negotiated a free custom designed cake.
dj, lighting : $450
favors: $200
Total: ~ $11000 approx

Honeymoon later next yr to Europe.
What hall did you use? That sounds like an awesome deal! What type of food did you have? I'm just planning now and looking at all costs. PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
The hall is Piazza in Hamilton www.310hall.com
Oct 15, 2003
739 posts
I do wedding photography on the side. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that too many couples go broke on their wedding and have no business doing so. I've witnessed this firsthand and have friends who went through this.

If -- and that's a BIG IF -- you can afford it (meaning nothing will be paid for by debt), then by all means, splurge away.

But if you're going to use debt to finance your wedding, that's a really stupid way to start of your marriage (for those who don't know, financial problems are among the top 3 reasons for divorces and in most cases, numero uno).

It's disturbing how many couples want to go all out to impress friends and family on one day even though they cannot afford it.

Ask yourself this: How many of your guests can you realistically say will come to your rescue when you're in debt trouble or trying to make a downpayment on your fist home?

Maybe it's me but I would NEVER want to see my friend's marriage ruined over financial problems because they tried to outdo someone's wedding day.

Here's an example I know of:

One of my best friends married years ago by signing papers, having a small but affordable dinner and then properly saving up for the wedding ceremony. They made an agreement to do it within 10 years and a few years ago, they made good on their promise to each other by having their 10-year renewal of vows as a "wedding ceremony" all paid in cash.

When they got married, they were students in love with each other. They waited 4 or 5 years before having their first child. Now they have their third on the way. The mother doesn't work. The father works from home. They only have a house to pay for and are not lacking at all.

This is what I consider to be successful marriage out of making good decisions to not go broke over the wedding day.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18481 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
tkl wrote:City Hall = $ 100 bucks ? around there.

Banquet for 10 tables, families only, strictly enforced. = got "red pockets" so
we didn't actually pay anything.

No wedding gowns, official pics, tux. She wore a nice white dress and I wore an old suit to our dinners.

Still very happily married, it's not about the useless frills, it's about the person and I've been truly blessed in that sense.

Only real cost was the honeymoon about $ 2700.00

Done in true RFD fashion. :)
|

hey you gotta send me the receipt for that so that I can PM!
Jun 25, 2005
376 posts
Nemodigital wrote:I think it really depends on your wife... if she wants a proper Cinderella style wedding its hard to talk her out of it without appearing cheap. Sometimes its better to bite the bullet.
I couldn't agree more. From all the weddings I've been to - its all up to the girl. I never know who actually pays but if the girl wants fancy, its fancy.

I hope my bf knows I want fancy... :lol: ...its ok though, I'll pay for it...it'll be a few years away anyway.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
5 upvotes
D-Sisive wrote:my cousin spent over 70k, but thats cause 500ppl were attending. gotta rent banquet hall and pay the staff there, catering and the staff, church, place for taking pics, the media guys, etc
70K for your cousin's wedding? Is he/she still married? Reason I ask is because the more $$$ spend usually means a higher probability for divorce.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1318 posts
28 upvotes
Didn't read the entire thread but it doesn't really matter how much you spend. Its a matter of how much you receive back. The worst case in my case would be breaking even but in most cases you make money. I spent some good money on the banquet and all the extras and I was fortunate I had a bit of a surplus.
Dec 21, 2004
711 posts
1 upvote
Freak wrote:Spent close to $10,000...

We went away to the Dominican Republic and got married...costs included...

Converting marriage license to spanish (roughly $200US)
Wedding package from resort we stayed at ($500US)
Limo 2 and from airport for ourselves and all our guests ($400CAN)
Photographer and pictures from the wedding ($300US)
Cost of flight, resort etc ($1800 X 2 = $3600)
Gifts for maid of honor and best man (approx. $200CAN)
Escursions and other unplanned things (approx. $500US)
Wedding Dress and Tuxes (approx. $1500CAN)
Converting marriage license to English (roughly $200US)

Only mistake we made was that we only went away for 1 week...so everyone that came spent the whole week with us and we didn't get much alone time. If I could do it over I would have went for 2 weeks...the second week would have been for myself and my wife only.

Seriously though...best way to get married...so many headaches with planning a big wedding here...I am not religious at all so it was easy to go away and get married...was originally going to do the marriage thing here...but it made so much more sense and was much more enjoyable going away.

Only negative was that not everyone could come...a good number of family and friends came...but it would have been nicer if more could have been there. It was also the easiest way to avoid having people there that only my parents wanted to invite!! LOL :D

Freak
This is almost exactly to a tee what we spent on our wedding at the Riu Yucatan in Mexico. The only thing I didn't like about going this way was that anyone who wanted to come to the wedding but wasn't staying at the Riu resorts there had to pay like $60 each I think to get in. We had about 40 people come down with us, 30 of which stayed at our resort, not to mention the few (half naked) "guests" at our wedding ceremony!

Really is the way to go. The people that want to be there will go, much is taken care of planning wise, and it is relatively cheaper to do it this way than something comparable at home (we would have had to pay about the same to have a wedding at the Calgary Zoo!)

Mind you, that doesn't include the costs of my wife being diagnosed with leukemia a week after we got back, but that's another issue in another thread...
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
All of you over paid.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8029 posts
684 upvotes
tkl wrote:City Hall = $ 100 bucks ? around there.

Banquet for 10 tables, families only, strictly enforced. = got "red pockets" so
we didn't actually pay anything.

No wedding gowns, official pics, tux. She wore a nice white dress and I wore an old suit to our dinners.

Still very happily married, it's not about the useless frills, it's about the person and I've been truly blessed in that sense.

Only real cost was the honeymoon about $ 2700.00

Done in true RFD fashion. :)
you have a good wife

if I bet that ppl who spend 20-50k on their weddings (because the wife was simply unapproachable to discuss the financials) are now being cheated on by the wife, I would be very rich

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)