Touch up paint fixing a rock chip

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:19 pm
[OP]
Apr 1, 2017
56 posts
7 upvotes

Touch up paint fixing a rock chip

So my new car has two rock chips, both are exposing the medal within. I got a touch up paint pen from honda (two sides, one for paint, one for clear coat).

Now I've read online that I would need a primer for adhesion. Is that necessary for a tiny 2mm by 2mm hole? At home I only have a primer spray, I'm not even sure how to spray it onto this small area. Can someone give me some advises?
13 replies
Mar 17, 2006
489 posts
220 upvotes
I really don't think you need the primer, but if you want to use it you can spray some into a jar and apply it with a paint brush. Do yourself a favor and don't use the crappy brush that comes with the paint. Go to walmart or michael's or something and buy a fine tipped paint brush and apply several thin layers finishing off with clear, If you want a real professional look you can wet sand the clear (wait about a week) to blend to the surrounding area.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2017
56 posts
7 upvotes
I dont really mind the look, im just doing this so to protect from rusting. Guess I wont use primer then. Thanks
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton
Please be careful and do a good job. My e92 the previous owner covered 3 rock chips and I'd much rather just look at the chips than his bad job. If you can I recommend getting it done professionally.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2424 posts
765 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Dip toothpick in touch up paint and apply meticulously.
Aug 4, 2004
390 posts
165 upvotes
Do not use the paint pen directly on the car. Get a small amount out on a piece of plastic, I believe you just need to press the tip down and paint will come out. Then as other suggested, use a toothpick to do that. Sometimes brushes are too big for the rock chip.

Do a few layer and then a clear cost. It will be fine.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2017
56 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks guys.

So you all also agree that I don't need primer for this small rock chip right??
I actually not even sure if the metal is exposed or just the primer, it doesnt really look like metal, it's very dark.

I'll try the toothpick today,
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2424 posts
765 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Didn't use a primer to cover my chips. Used the OEM paint from the dealer and applied it.

I will see how it will hold up. I'll have many more opportunities to get better at it as I find the paint quality of my Honda is not impressive
Aug 17, 2008
993 posts
396 upvotes
I don't have much issues with chips anymore, as I have been having paint protection film applied when the car is new.

But in the days before I used PPF, I was able to get professional quality results without wet-sanding (which is not fool-proof) using Langka. Langka is an amazing effective product for professional quality DIY touch-up paint repair. it's very easy to use. You just apply your touch-up paint (no need to be careful -- just apply and leave a blob of paint and let it dry). Then using langka, you can smooth out the blob so that repair is invisible.

Here's a link, with info, videos, testimonials. http://langka.com/

Several years ago, Mothers' was selling a touch-up paint repair kit that was really a repackaging of the langka product under the Mothers' brand.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2017
56 posts
7 upvotes
Need quick advise now.

I just finish with the touch up paint, but the color doesnt quite match, http://imgur.com/3Pt9e6T

I emailed the dealership, but they wont reply until tomorrow morning. I checked my paint code it matches the pen.

My question:
I have to drive the car tomorrow morning to work.
Should I apply clearcoat before I sleep? Or should I wait til the dealership reply me and drive the car tomorrow without any clearcoat?
Aug 17, 2008
993 posts
396 upvotes
waterbottleemo wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:37 pm
Need quick advise now.

I just finish with the touch up paint, but the color doesnt quite match, http://imgur.com/3Pt9e6T

I emailed the dealership, but they wont reply until tomorrow morning. I checked my paint code it matches the pen.

My question:
I have to drive the car tomorrow morning to work.
Should I apply clearcoat before I sleep? Or should I wait til the dealership reply me and drive the car tomorrow without any clearcoat?
I would suggest you don't apply clearcoat yet.

Quick look at your picture, it looks to me like you didn't apply enough touch-up paint (as the paint in the plastic cup your are using looks like it should be a good match, but you may have applied too little and that may be while it looks different). I'd suggest you order Langka, and read the instruction on the Langka site. It's very simple to use. While Langka is normally used on paint has been applied for a few hours (up to 24 hours), in the Q&A, it will work on touch up paint that has been on for longer (i.e. a lot longer than 24 hours). They also have great suggestions on clear coat.

You can use Langka to remove what you applied and restart if you don't like how it looks, or it turns out the paint is not a match for some reason.
Last edited by multimut on May 11th, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2017
56 posts
7 upvotes
Hey multimut so I should apply more touch up paint, order langka and keep driving the car like normal until it arrive? Would dust on road be a matter?
Aug 17, 2008
993 posts
396 upvotes
waterbottleemo wrote:
May 11th, 2017 11:00 pm
Hey multimut so I should apply more touch up paint, order langka and keep driving the car like normal until it arrive? Would dust on road be a matter?
If after reading Langka site, you like what you're seeing, order it. Wait to get it. Then use it. Don't apply more paint until you get it. It is very easy to use. In their videos, they show a child using it. I've had great success with it. It's really pretty idiot proof. The first few times I used it, I took out too much touch-up paint, but just tried again and got perfect results.

You want to wait to get the product before you apply more, because it smooths out the blob more easily if it hasn't been on for more than 24 hours. So wait to get the product before applying more.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1056 posts
266 upvotes
Markham, GTA
waterbottleemo wrote:
May 10th, 2017 7:46 pm
So my new car has two rock chips, both are exposing the medal within. I got a touch up paint pen from honda (two sides, one for paint, one for clear coat).

Now I've read online that I would need a primer for adhesion. Is that necessary for a tiny 2mm by 2mm hole? At home I only have a primer spray, I'm not even sure how to spray it onto this small area. Can someone give me some advises?
I am in the exact same boat as you are --- have tiny, roughly 2x2mm rock chips on my Satin White Pearl paint showing black metal(?) underneath. Would you be able to share the outcome of your DIY fix? Did the toothpick + dealer touch-up paint work or did you end up using Langka?
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D