• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 1:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes

towing company refusing to give car to insurance

Hello,

I was recently in my first accident in Toronto and knew nothing about not trusting towing companies. I just assumed these guys were somewhat regulated as they are given licenses by the city. Add the shock of a car crash, and I just let them take my car to their yard. After a few days I went to pick up my stuff from the car and told them to release it to my insurance company. Then my insurance is told that the towing yard will be closed for Christmas (during the most accident-prone period of the year? yeah right) and they would reopen after the holidays.
Now that they "reopened" they are playing around with the insurance company and won't grant them access to the yard.
I do not want to involve the police as tow companies do not have the best reputation and they have all my information.

Any suggestions or past experience?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 14th, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: requested edit/privacy reasons
Share:
86 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19931 posts
5314 upvotes
Off the 404
Lyon's?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes
OP, the garage is playing games. The longer they keep your car, the more $$$ they can ask from your insurance company. It's a stupid, unethical and shitty situation. You need to move fast. Don't let it linger, as the more you wait, the more expensive it will get. Worst situation is one where there's a stalemate b/w your insurance and the garage.

I wish the government safe-guarded people from these vultures. Talk with a paralegal, about your options. Google Law Society of Ontario, referral service, for more details on getting some advice from a paralegal or lawyer.

Good luck.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1236 upvotes
Milton, ON
As long as you didn't sign a blank work order (or anything from them really), you should be okay. They can play games and hold your car but pester them enough and they'll get tired of dealing with you. Cops won't do anything, trust me, as long as your vehicle is in their tow yard, it's on their property and the only thing they're legally bound to do is keep your car and its contents safe. Call them, visit them when you can, pester your insurance company. It sucks and agree with the above poster that something should be done. It's places like this that cause all our insurance rates to be so high. Just out of curiosity, was it Lyon's or Seneca?

Good luck OP, I know it's a stressful situation and I hope you have a rental that's being covered..
Aug 22, 2016
180 posts
119 upvotes
Montreal
Ontario is plagued with those towing company scamming .

CBC made a video back in the days:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8726 posts
9542 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Suggestions? Get CAA and only use them for towing services.

+1 to govt Regs to protect the consumer from these vultures....similarly to ones sorely needed for water heater rentals
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes
Thank you everyone for your responses.
JoelK22976 wrote: As long as you didn't sign a blank work order (or anything from them really), you should be okay.
****, now that I think of it I might have signed something at the scene of the accident, I was so confused and thought it was just the norm just to get my car towed out of the way. What can they do now?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 14th, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't bypass swear filter
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Suggestions? Get CAA and only use them for towing services.
A bit too late for that, but definitely lesson learned for the future.
Dec 24, 2009
785 posts
433 upvotes
Go in at night with bolt cutters and get your car outta there.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14066 posts
8487 upvotes
Toronto
How do people not know their rights and are confused when it comes to tow trucks these days?

I can't even count on 1 hand that someone joins up on rfd to complain about tow trucks and how their vehicle is held hostage.

Sad.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes
I didn't post here to be judged. I do not visit these forum frequently, so I am not updated on towing scams.

You do not need to respond if you don't have anything useful to say.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3811 posts
1442 upvotes
OP, could you please post the name of the company? Or some details?

For our own protection.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5676 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Yea it's typical of them to play games and hold your car. They're just trying to get the most money they can for storing your car. Tow truck drivers get kickbacks from taking it to these places so they're out for themselves. Best thing to do if you don't know where to take it is just to have your car towed to your home.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3811 posts
1442 upvotes
What is the conclusion?

If your vehicle is drivable, just go home (or original destination). Then call your insurance and your body shop.

If your vehicle is not drivable, call CAA.

If you do not have CAA, call a tow truck to take your car directly to your house. Then make plans to take it to a garage or body shop that you choose.

Is the above correct?
Could anyone add anything else?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14066 posts
8487 upvotes
Toronto
lasagne wrote: I didn't post here to be judged. I do not visit these forum frequently, so I am not updated on towing scams.

You do not need to respond if you don't have anything useful to say.
Boohoo. Didn't realise that you needed to visit these forums frequently to know about towing scams. Don't listen to the news? If anything post the name of the towing company and where you car is located, otherwise your post isn't useful. You're just another towing victim. You can simply search these forums to see the situation you are in, there's many threads on it. GL, you are going to need it because no one here can help you. If anything, educate yourself.
motomondo wrote: What is the conclusion?

If your vehicle is drivable, just go home (or original destination). Then call your insurance and your body shop.

If your vehicle is not drivable, call CAA.

If you do not have CAA, call a tow truck to take your car directly to your house. Then make plans to take it to a garage or body shop that you choose.

Is the above correct?
Could anyone add anything else?
Pretty well much.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯