Home & Garden

Townhouse is fully framed. Realistically when will it be finished?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 9:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19086 posts
17424 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…

Townhouse is fully framed. Realistically when will it be finished?

I’m talking occupancy. The house is framed, the roof is framed and the sheet hung is up.

House is 3 storeys plus basement and 2300 sqft. Luxury town with hardwood throughout, built in appliances. 4 bathrooms.

My original closing date is Oct 30th. Builder said a couple months ago that they’re on schedule....maybe for completing the other blocks but not mine. I haven’t picked my finishes yet. I feel there’s no way they’re hitting that deadline. Thoughts?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1156 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
There is no problems with finishing a home on time as long as they have all the information needed, materials on hand in time, they allocated enough manpower to complete and are we getting a second wave (and when) and will it be worse?

Since we don't have that information, none of us can answer your question without making too many assumptions.

Congrats on your new home.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19086 posts
17424 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
MyDream1 wrote: There is no problems with finishing a home on time as long as they have all the information needed, materials on hand in time, they allocated enough manpower to complete and are we getting a second wave (and when) and will it be worse?

Since we don't have that information, none of us can answer your question without making too many assumptions.

Congrats on your new home.
I mean in general.... I've purchased more than enough condos and can tell when a building will be complete or if it is on schedule or not. Lets say they have the typical amount of manpower and there is no wave. Is 3.5 months enough time? I haven't picked any finishes and have not sorted electical yet.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36184 posts
9442 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
JayLove06 wrote: Is 3.5 months enough time?
I’ve seen a house go from a field to complete in 6 weeks.

A condo can take 5 years or more to complete. A house it is a lot easier to build. The reason for your delay is that the builder has trades come in waves. First week of July maybe framing, second week, would be drywall, third week etc. As they complete your house, they move to the next and your house sits idle waiting for the next phase.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1156 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
As stated as long as they have all the information they need in order to purchase the material and nothing is backordered and they allocate enough manpower 3.5 months is more than enough time. I've seen 3000 sq. ft homes build from ground up, move in ready in 4 months.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19086 posts
17424 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Gee wrote: I’ve seen a house go from a field to complete in 6 weeks.

A condo can take 5 years or more to complete. A house it is a lot easier to build. The reason for your delay is that the builder has trades come in waves. First week of July maybe framing, second week, would be drywall, third week etc. As they complete your house, they move to the next and your house sits idle waiting for the next phase.
I get that but there is still an average that it takes to build a home (condo or house). For example, typical building once they get past the podium and focus on the tower, it takes typically 1 week per floor to build. Usually when the building is topped out...occoupancy is in another 6 months...typically. That is what I'm looking for...I know houses can be built in 3 months, but typically that doesn't seem to happen if I go by the projects I've seen.

I will have to wait then and see how long it actually takes.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1357 posts
1343 upvotes
As others have mentioned, unfortunately it is very difficult to tell with townhouses/houses. It could be built in less than 4 months or take much longer. It could look like it's proceeding very well, then suddenly stall at one step of the construction process while the builder works on other houses.

I've bought a few precon townhouses and in my personal experience, it ranged anywhere from 7 months (from breaking ground) to over a year (and counting...this one has been delayed due to the pandemic so it could very well take even longer). So, if it is framed already it is certainly possible to finish by Oct, but by no means guaranteed.

It may be an obvious question but have you reached out to your builder lately? I've found in my experience that they are very happy to give you updates on your house if you ask. You mentioned it was "on schedule" a few months ago but obviously a lot has changed since then so probably a good idea to ask them again if things are progressing on time.
JayLove06 wrote: I haven't picked any finishes and have not sorted electical yet.
This part puzzles me. Perhaps things are different in GTA, but in Ottawa with all of my precon experiences I had to finalize all upgrades/finishes before the house even broke ground. I am surprised that you didn't even choose electrical but they have already framed? (Meaning electrical work should be proceeding shortly.) If anything, this is a sign to me that perhaps you will be delayed...again, I usually had to pick out my finishes many months before closing. I'd suggest contacting the builder and asking them when they are planning to schedule your design centre appointments.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16939 posts
14527 upvotes
GTA, ON
They can totally finish in 3.5 months.

The only concern I would have is the fact that you haven't chosen your finishes yet. It's kind of odd that the decor rep has not contacted you yet. Most of the time you don't want to rush that appointment. Do you have the ability to visit the decor centre now so that you can get an idea of the quality, upgrade levels, and cost of each? I know I wouldn't want to sign any paperwork for choices on the fly without seeing things ahead of time and being able to contemplate colour & pattern matching, cost & comparison, want vs. need, etc...

As above says... that too. Odd that they haven't even consulted you in regards to electrical. What if you want extra outlets, or light fixtures (including electrical switches for those fixtures), or internet cabling, etc...
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19086 posts
17424 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
jk9088 wrote: As others have mentioned, unfortunately it is very difficult to tell with townhouses/houses. It could be built in less than 4 months or take much longer. It could look like it's proceeding very well, then suddenly stall at one step of the construction process while the builder works on other houses.

I've bought a few precon townhouses and in my personal experience, it ranged anywhere from 7 months (from breaking ground) to over a year (and counting...this one has been delayed due to the pandemic so it could very well take even longer). So, if it is framed already it is certainly possible to finish by Oct, but by no means guaranteed.

It may be an obvious question but have you reached out to your builder lately? I've found in my experience that they are very happy to give you updates on your house if you ask. You mentioned it was "on schedule" a few months ago but obviously a lot has changed since then so probably a good idea to ask them again if things are progressing on time.

This part puzzles me. Perhaps things are different in GTA, but in Ottawa with all of my precon experiences I had to finalize all upgrades/finishes before the house even broke ground. I am surprised that you didn't even choose electrical but they have already framed? (Meaning electrical work should be proceeding shortly.) If anything, this is a sign to me that perhaps you will be delayed...again, I usually had to pick out my finishes many months before closing. I'd suggest contacting the builder and asking them when they are planning to schedule your design centre appointments.
I'm late in OK-ing the electrical so that may have something to do with it. Yea, I talked to the builder few months ago and asked when I would be picking finishes because it didn't select anything yet. Said everything was on time but I've purchased enough to know this can't be right.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19086 posts
17424 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
chimaican wrote: They can totally finish in 3.5 months.

The only concern I would have is the fact that you haven't chosen your finishes yet. It's kind of odd that the decor rep has not contacted you yet. Most of the time you don't want to rush that appointment. Do you have the ability to visit the decor centre now so that you can get an idea of the quality, upgrade levels, and cost of each? I know I wouldn't want to sign any paperwork for choices on the fly without seeing things ahead of time and being able to contemplate colour & pattern matching, cost & comparison, want vs. need, etc...

As above says... that too. Odd that they haven't even consulted you in regards to electrical. What if you want extra outlets, or light fixtures (including electrical switches for those fixtures), or internet cabling, etc...
I'm expecting a delay notice by the end of the month.
Jun 6, 2018
100 posts
47 upvotes
I use to work in residential many years ago.
Depends on the builder really.
The production ones could move people in 6 weeks after electrical was inspected. Yes. That was hell if the houses had defects.
Typically though pre delivery inspection was 2 months after electrical. With closing 1-2 weeks after that.

So 3.5 months is very doable as it is.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
My house was delayed by a month and they had a year to build it, although that was related to the massive strike by contractor workers a few years ago.

Even with that a month delay was not that bad.