Home & Garden

Townhouse Roof - Neighbour Not Wanting to do - Potential Issues?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 11:46 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
983 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto

Townhouse Roof - Neighbour Not Wanting to do - Potential Issues?

I live in a townhouse unit, where there is a total of 8 of us.

Right now 7 out of 8 of us are interested in re-roofing as the roof was done in 2006 or so

My direct neighbour that is attached to me doesnt seem very interested in doing their roof - Since they rent the unit out, and they are not experiencing issues I can some what understand.

This same neighbour also lets their grass/weeds/backyard get as high as the top of our 6 feet tall fence, so Im not holding my breath that they will do their roofing along with the rest of us.

I had a few questions and any insight would be greatly appreciated

1) What potential issues should I be concerned with if this one neighbour does not do their roof? For example, could there be potential leaks between their old roof and my new roof?

2) Is there anything I should tell the roofers to do to ensure that my roof is properly protected? Is there any sort of under layment that can be put down?

I often see roofers adding a "line" of extra shingles going straight up the roof between two neighbours that dont do the roofing at the same time - Are there any potential issues with this?

For example

Any insight much appreciated
Images
  • roof.jpg
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7348 posts
1668 upvotes
Mississauga
chillychin wrote:
May 26th, 2019 9:46 pm
I live in a townhouse unit, where there is a total of 8 of us.

Right now 7 out of 8 of us are interested in re-roofing as the roof was done in 2006 or so

My direct neighbour that is attached to me doesnt seem very interested in doing their roof - Since they rent the unit out, and they are not experiencing issues I can some what understand.

This same neighbour also lets their grass/weeds/backyard get as high as the top of our 6 feet tall fence, so Im not holding my breath that they will do their roofing along with the rest of us.

I had a few questions and any insight would be greatly appreciated

1) What potential issues should I be concerned with if this one neighbour does not do their roof? For example, could there be potential leaks between their old roof and my new roof?

2) Is there anything I should tell the roofers to do to ensure that my roof is properly protected? Is there any sort of under layment that can be put down?

I often see roofers adding a "line" of extra shingles going straight up the roof between two neighbours that dont do the roofing at the same time - Are there any potential issues with this?

For example

Any insight much appreciated
If nobody is experiencing any leaks why are you wasting money changing the roof?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1123 posts
628 upvotes
Etobicoke
Check to see if the roof is common element. Even if you are freehold, the roof and road (if any) may me common.

You say " Doesn't seem vey interested. interested? I would make sure, Present the costs and go from there.

I would get a quote for all 8 and a quote for just 7.....you may just do his for free since it would not be much more. It would be more of a hassle to not do one...maybe even more cost.

Also get a quote to present to him if he wants to do only his in the near future. For them to come back to do one would be much more expensive than to do his now.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1086 posts
252 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:04 pm
If nobody is experiencing any leaks why are you wasting money changing the roof?
Roofing is not something you wait for to fail and then replace. A leak can easily run thousands of dollars in repairs. As such, it is wise to proactively to replace your roof before any leaks.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
983 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote:
Not sure where about your located, but my neighbourhood has been hit with a lot of wind storms, most of us have had to do "spot repairs" on the shingles for the last two years.

Shingles curling, shingles breaking off needing to patch, chunks of shingles flying off

Bit tired of dealing with it, mind as well just replace it before it becomes a bigger problem with leaks.

By the time it leaks and you notice it, your attic insulation would be soaked through and possibly ruined, interior ceiling needs to be repaired etc etc
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7348 posts
1668 upvotes
Mississauga
bizzyseller wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:33 pm
Roofing is not something you wait for to fail and then replace. A leak can easily run thousands of dollars in repairs. As such, it is wise to proactively to replace your roof before any leaks.
Op stated the roof was replaced in 2006 or so. Even with 20 year warranty shingles they would still have 7 years of life left.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7348 posts
1668 upvotes
Mississauga
chillychin wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:35 pm
Not sure where about your located, but my neighbourhood has been hit with a lot of wind storms, most of us have had to do "spot repairs" on the shingles for the last two years.

Shingles curling, shingles breaking off needing to patch, chunks of shingles flying off

Bit tired of dealing with it, mind as well just replace it before it becomes a bigger problem with leaks.

By the time it leaks and you notice it, your attic insulation would be soaked through and possibly ruined, interior ceiling needs to be repaired etc etc
I live in Mississauga as my profile states. I have been hit with the same storms you have. By your own admission the roof is only 13 years old. Its your money but if you are changing the roof every 13 years its going to get very expensive. my 2 cents
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
983 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:54 pm
I live in Mississauga as my profile states. I have been hit with the same storms you have. By your own admission the roof is only 13 years old. Its your money but if you are changing the roof every 13 years its going to get very expensive. my 2 cents
Sorry I didn't bother to click into your profile to see your location, since on mobile web it only shows your name, thanks for stating that.

To clarify the house was BUILT in 2005-06, with builder grade shingles or what ever they use at that time. The shingles were never re-done. These are the original shingles the house came with.

A car is supposed to last 300,000+ km, when was the last time you heard of a car that lasted that long?

Wear and tear is different.....

Also, if your fortunate enough to live in a fully detached, sure wait until there is a leak or when your ready to replace the roof, it's totally up to you.

But when you "share" a roof with 8 other house holds, the best deal is to have everyone do it at once for cost savings. Since 6 of the other neighbours approached me to ask if I am interested I don't see a reason to wait until there's a leak?

I didn't have the chance to ask the other homes if their roof started leaking yet, so can't confirm or deny this. Thankfully mine isn't.

Are your shingles curling? Do you find pieces of shingles in your yard? Did you have to climb up on your roof to replace chunks of shingles, or pay someone to do spot patches? When was the last time you had your shingles done, if ever?

Just putting some food for thought out there for you.

Your 2 cents are very appreciated, and noted.

Thank you for confirming that replacing the shingles are costly
Aug 31, 2012
162 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote:
By the time there is a leak, there may be extensive damage to the roof, attic and trusses.

OP - a visual inspection can be done to determine if it is ready to be replaced. It does not matter the time frame and roofs can fail early or can last. Depends on the shingles and the installation. This is the best way to confirm. Usually you can see curling/warping etc when it needs replacing. It sounds like yours may be ready based on the time frame.

Ask the roofer what can be done to prevent their “leaks” from affecting your roof as water can run and cause issues for you if not properly done.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9359 posts
6668 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
xxxray wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:07 pm
Check to see if the roof is common element. Even if you are freehold, the roof and road (if any) may me common.

You say " Doesn't seem vey interested. interested? I would make sure, Present the costs and go from there.

I would get a quote for all 8 and a quote for just 7.....you may just do his for free since it would not be much more. It would be more of a hassle to not do one...maybe even more cost.

Also get a quote to present to him if he wants to do only his in the near future. For them to come back to do one would be much more expensive than to do his now.
This

And OP, I get the whole Builder Installed Shingles ... those indeed could be lower quality 20 year warranty shingles (vs 25s or 30s) .. in which case 14 to 15 years later for a roof reshingle ... is not out of line

Most folks don’t understand Shingle Warranties ... the warranty isn’t on the shingle per se, or the work ... it’s about Manufacturers Defects.

On average most people have to get their roof redone around the 12 to 18 year mark (and depending on conditions / wear & tear ... as well as the quality of the shingles / work ... some sooner / some later) ... no matter which type of asphalt shingle they have ... and weather conditions, and even house situation can play a key on how they stand up over time (trees, West / South facing etc)

https://www.constructioncanada.net/roof ... nceptions/
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10268 posts
4403 upvotes
Brampton
chillychin wrote:
May 26th, 2019 11:11 pm
Sorry I didn't bother to click into your profile to see your location, since on mobile web it only shows your name, thanks for stating that.

To clarify the house was BUILT in 2005-06, with builder grade shingles or what ever they use at that time. The shingles were never re-done. These are the original shingles the house came with.

A car is supposed to last 300,000+ km, when was the last time you heard of a car that lasted that long?

Wear and tear is different.....

Also, if your fortunate enough to live in a fully detached, sure wait until there is a leak or when your ready to replace the roof, it's totally up to you.

But when you "share" a roof with 8 other house holds, the best deal is to have everyone do it at once for cost savings. Since 6 of the other neighbours approached me to ask if I am interested I don't see a reason to wait until there's a leak?

I didn't have the chance to ask the other homes if their roof started leaking yet, so can't confirm or deny this. Thankfully mine isn't.

Are your shingles curling? Do you find pieces of shingles in your yard? Did you have to climb up on your roof to replace chunks of shingles, or pay someone to do spot patches? When was the last time you had your shingles done, if ever?

Just putting some food for thought out there for you.

Your 2 cents are very appreciated, and noted.

Thank you for confirming that replacing the shingles are costly
Looks like you've found your neighbor's RFD username.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6787 posts
5859 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
antigua1999 wrote:

Please reference this point if ever listing for car for sale on here. K thanks!
antigua1999 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:49 pm

Op stated the roof was replaced in 2006 or so. Even with 20 year warranty shingles they would still have 7 years of life left.
Builders grade typically don’t last 20 years and if not installed correctly or proper timing it can start failing much earlier. You’ve even referenced the weather. Makes a big difference. But doesn’t seem like you care.
tebore wrote:
May 27th, 2019 6:40 am
Looks like you've found your neighbor's RFD username.
Why it’s always better to go for detached if at all possible to stretch. Sure you can still have lowlife neighbours but at least your house structure is fully under your control.

From a roofing perspective getting the higher quality architectural style shingles is literally a buck or two more a bundle more expensive....so even if they agree they still want to use the junk 3 tab...when for a few hundred more they can get the better ones.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3788 posts
1171 upvotes
markham
we went through this exact same scenario when we lived in Mississauga , in a freehold townhouse..had 1 unit in a row of 8 that was a constant rental, and flip..when it came time to do the roof, that owner didnt want to spend the money. we had a decent price for replacement ($1800) each..finally , after severe pressure from the rest of us, they caved in. We explained aesthetics and resale value of the house, not to mention the potential for water damage and such.
Coincidentally, this was the same type of neighbor that never cut their lawn, had about 5 different renters at 1 time, and even cut a separate entrance through the garage , for access to the basement..we as group, banded together and pressured the city to put a stop to this type of rooming house rental. We moved away from this problem, but driving by now and then, it seems like the same still exists in this house and you can clearly see how it diminishes the other units around them.
May 26, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
The line going down the roof is ridge cap and is not meant for the purpose of the photo.
A divider flashing is needed, it goes under the old shingles and the new shingles with a 1 inch bend..
This is used on townhouses when redoing only sections.