Home & Garden

Townhouse Roof - Neighbour Not Wanting to do - Potential Issues?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 11:46 am
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1041 posts
479 upvotes
Maplesugar25 wrote: By the time there is a leak, there may be extensive damage to the roof, attic and trusses.

OP - a visual inspection can be done to determine if it is ready to be replaced. It does not matter the time frame and roofs can fail early or can last. Depends on the shingles and the installation. This is the best way to confirm. Usually you can see curling/warping etc when it needs replacing. It sounds like yours may be ready based on the time frame.

Ask the roofer what can be done to prevent their “leaks” from affecting your roof as water can run and cause issues for you if not properly done.
On that note....some townhouses are very tall...mine is 3 storeys so its hard to see the top completely. What's the best way to inspect the roof?
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6998 posts
4170 upvotes
Victoria, BC
It is a freehold property. If your neighbour doesn't want to do it they don't have to. Nothing much you can do. We did the same thing when we owned a freehold townhouse here in Ottawa (replaced roof, but neighbours beside us don't want to). I think the roofers do go over a few inches. Hopefully it is enough to prevent any problems migrating over from the neighbours roof if it leaks.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13963 posts
8372 upvotes
Toronto
LyGuy wrote: On that note....some townhouses are very tall...mine is 3 storeys so its hard to see the top completely. What's the best way to inspect the roof?
Without spending money? Requesting a quote and the dude using a drone.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1076 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: we went through this exact same scenario when we lived in Mississauga , in a freehold townhouse..had 1 unit in a row of 8 that was a constant rental, and flip..when it came time to do the roof, that owner didnt want to spend the money. we had a decent price for replacement ($1800) each..finally , after severe pressure from the rest of us, they caved in. We explained aesthetics and resale value of the house, not to mention the potential for water damage and such.
Coincidentally, this was the same type of neighbor that never cut their lawn, had about 5 different renters at 1 time, and even cut a separate entrance through the garage , for access to the basement..we as group, banded together and pressured the city to put a stop to this type of rooming house rental. We moved away from this problem, but driving by now and then, it seems like the same still exists in this house and you can clearly see how it diminishes the other units around them.
This pretty much is exactly my renter neighbour at the moment, theres like a rotation of people coming and going. My estimate places about 8 guys in a 3 bedroom townhouse mid unit right now, 4 cars on a single car driveway + parking pad.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1076 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
will7342 wrote: The line going down the roof is ridge cap and is not meant for the purpose of the photo.
A divider flashing is needed, it goes under the old shingles and the new shingles with a 1 inch bend..
This is used on townhouses when redoing only sections.
This is good to know

Is "divider flashing" the exact terminology?

Sorry for the stupid question, this is my first time doing a roof and I just wanted to make sure its properly done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1076 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
xxxray wrote: Check to see if the roof is common element. Even if you are freehold, the roof and road (if any) may me common.

You say " Doesn't seem vey interested. interested? I would make sure, Present the costs and go from there.

I would get a quote for all 8 and a quote for just 7.....you may just do his for free since it would not be much more. It would be more of a hassle to not do one...maybe even more cost.

Also get a quote to present to him if he wants to do only his in the near future. For them to come back to do one would be much more expensive than to do his now.
Sorry for the stupid question, but Im not sure what you mean by check to see if the roof is common?

My units are freehold, so there is no shared cost, condo board or anything at all shared.
Maplesugar25 wrote: By the time there is a leak, there may be extensive damage to the roof, attic and trusses.

OP - a visual inspection can be done to determine if it is ready to be replaced. It does not matter the time frame and roofs can fail early or can last. Depends on the shingles and the installation. This is the best way to confirm. Usually you can see curling/warping etc when it needs replacing. It sounds like yours may be ready based on the time frame.

Ask the roofer what can be done to prevent their “leaks” from affecting your roof as water can run and cause issues for you if not properly done.
Theres plenty of curling happening all over the place, more so on my neighbours units thankfully but pretty sure its about time visually speaking.
PointsHubby wrote: This

And OP, I get the whole Builder Installed Shingles ... those indeed could be lower quality 20 year warranty shingles (vs 25s or 30s) .. in which case 14 to 15 years later for a roof reshingle ... is not out of line

Most folks don’t understand Shingle Warranties ... the warranty isn’t on the shingle per se, or the work ... it’s about Manufacturers Defects.

On average most people have to get their roof redone around the 12 to 18 year mark (and depending on conditions / wear & tear ... as well as the quality of the shingles / work ... some sooner / some later) ... no matter which type of asphalt shingle they have ... and weather conditions, and even house situation can play a key on how they stand up over time (trees, West / South facing etc)

https://www.constructioncanada.net/roof ... nceptions/
Well said, exactly what I was thinking and I appreciate the input.
cartfan123 wrote: Please reference this point if ever listing for car for sale on here. K thanks!

Builders grade typically don’t last 20 years and if not installed correctly or proper timing it can start failing much earlier. You’ve even referenced the weather. Makes a big difference. But doesn’t seem like you care.

Why it’s always better to go for detached if at all possible to stretch. Sure you can still have lowlife neighbours but at least your house structure is fully under your control.

From a roofing perspective getting the higher quality architectural style shingles is literally a buck or two more a bundle more expensive....so even if they agree they still want to use the junk 3 tab...when for a few hundred more they can get the better ones.
When I first purchased my home, I wasnt married yet so was single income so stretched as much as I could to avoid getting a condo first. Now that Im married, my biggest gripe is having situations like this with neighbours and absolutely 100% agree with your point about stretching and getting your own stand alone place. It would be a dream to move into a stand alone after dealing with my renter neighbours.

I mentioned doing the roof last year to the landlord neighbour, and they "seemed" ok with it at the time but not sure if they were just trying to quickly fluff me off in agreement or were they serious. One of the renters actually mentioned that the landlord and him had a conversation and the renter thinks he can fix the shingles. I then asked "you can do all the roofs?" his eyes went wide, and I had to explain to him its not just a spot patch. All our roofs pretty much need various degrees of repair he then took a step back.

So I am expecting resistance to even doing the shingles since the landlord seems to be asking his renters to help out with the roof, and exactly to your point even if i can get agreement to do the roof its going to be another uphill battle to make them spend a few bucks more for the better quality shingles.....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19847 upvotes
Ottawa
This is not the first case nor will it be the last.
A competent roofing company will be able to re-do one section perfectly fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8951 posts
4568 upvotes
Paris
chillychin wrote: Theres plenty of curling happening all over the place, more so on my neighbours units thankfully but pretty sure its about time visually speaking.
Our kitchen window looks onto the part of our neighbours roof which is south facing. One spring/summer I watched his roof go from visually fine to shingles curling all over the place. In a wicked July rain storm I went up and inspected my own attic and the roofing plywood was wet all over the place on the south side. Next nice day I went up and it was like sand had been thrown all over my roof. We had it done that fall. I was honestly shocked how fast the neighbours went from looking ok to looking toast. It was only a few months.

Ours is a hip roof (so has four sides) the north side was in great shape still. South was completely shot, East was ok, West was getting there.

My first house was a semi and my roof faced south. It was done a full 6 years before the guy with the north facing house.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1041 posts
479 upvotes
koffey wrote: Without spending money? Requesting a quote and the dude using a drone.
A drone is not a bad idea...I have a friend who I could ask...
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3676 posts
2469 upvotes
chillychin wrote: I live in a townhouse unit, where there is a total of 8 of us.

Right now 7 out of 8 of us are interested in re-roofing as the roof was done in 2006 or so

My direct neighbour that is attached to me doesnt seem very interested in doing their roof - Since they rent the unit out, and they are not experiencing issues I can some what understand.

This same neighbour also lets their grass/weeds/backyard get as high as the top of our 6 feet tall fence, so Im not holding my breath that they will do their roofing along with the rest of us.

I had a few questions and any insight would be greatly appreciated

1) What potential issues should I be concerned with if this one neighbour does not do their roof? For example, could there be potential leaks between their old roof and my new roof?

2) Is there anything I should tell the roofers to do to ensure that my roof is properly protected? Is there any sort of under layment that can be put down?

I often see roofers adding a "line" of extra shingles going straight up the roof between two neighbours that dont do the roofing at the same time - Are there any potential issues with this?

For example

Any insight much appreciated
To clarify, as you asking the tenant or the owner? Hopefully, you're asking the owner because if I was the tenant I wouldn't be interested either.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8516 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
chillychin wrote: Sorry I didn't bother to click into your profile to see your location, since on mobile web it only shows your name, thanks for stating that.

To clarify the house was BUILT in 2005-06, with builder grade shingles or what ever they use at that time. The shingles were never re-done. These are the original shingles the house came with.

A car is supposed to last 300,000+ km, when was the last time you heard of a car that lasted that long?

Wear and tear is different.....

Also, if your fortunate enough to live in a fully detached, sure wait until there is a leak or when your ready to replace the roof, it's totally up to you.

But when you "share" a roof with 8 other house holds, the best deal is to have everyone do it at once for cost savings. Since 6 of the other neighbours approached me to ask if I am interested I don't see a reason to wait until there's a leak?

I didn't have the chance to ask the other homes if their roof started leaking yet, so can't confirm or deny this. Thankfully mine isn't.

Are your shingles curling? Do you find pieces of shingles in your yard? Did you have to climb up on your roof to replace chunks of shingles, or pay someone to do spot patches? When was the last time you had your shingles done, if ever?

Just putting some food for thought out there for you.

Your 2 cents are very appreciated, and noted.

Thank you for confirming that replacing the shingles are costly
My apologies. I thought this is Rfd and we are all trying to save money. That doesn't mean you dont repair/replace a leaky roof but each unit spending $$$$$ prematurely doesn't make sense in my opinion. A simple look in your attic will determine if you have any leaks.

Not my money spend away. To answer your original question try to put pressure but if he refuses do the other 7 without him. My 4 cents.

Psst. look under your chillychin and you will see your location. lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19847 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: To clarify, as you asking the tenant or the owner? Hopefully, you're asking the owner because if I was the tenant I wouldn't be interested either.
"My direct neighbour that is attached to me doesnt seem very interested in doing their roof - Since they rent the unit out..."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1076 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: To clarify, as you asking the tenant or the owner? Hopefully, you're asking the owner because if I was the tenant I wouldn't be interested either.
Actually asking both

I saw the landlord/owner last summer and had a brief discussion, but I havent had contact with them as of this year so not sure if they are still interested if at all. The other homes have been approaching me asking if I was interested in doing the roof which I said yes.

This year, one of the renters came to talk to me and mentioned that the landlord and him had chatted and the renter believed he could patch the roof. After further clarification that most of us wanted to do our entire roofs and it was not just a single patch, the renter then said "ohhhh, let me contact the landlord then".

I really dont see or like talking to the landlord vs the renter I see more often. I was hoping the renter would clarify and possibly help push the landlord to also fix the roof (another voice), though I do totally understand the renter wouldnt care so much
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1076 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: My apologies. I thought this is Rfd and we are all trying to save money. That doesn't mean you dont repair/replace a leaky roof but each unit spending $$$$$ prematurely doesn't make sense in my opinion. A simple look in your attic will determine if you have any leaks.

Not my money spend away. To answer your original question try to put pressure but if he refuses do the other 7 without him. My 4 cents.

Psst. look under your chillychin and you will see your location. lol
Right on point about saving money, Im hoping to get this done correctly in case my renter neighbour does not do their roof so Im not wasting anymore money patching or fixing issues.

I also understand everyone has different financial situations, and it is the home owners choice at the end of the day if they feel to wait for a leak or to be proactive and fix it. Hence, I was hoping to get an idea what to expect in the (likely) chance that my renter neighbour does not do their roof.

I have seen plenty of other homes in the neighbourhood do all sorts of weird roofing stuff (like the line in the picture I showed initially). Its easy to say to look for a competent roofer, but since the industry isnt regulated and with my experience with contractors it seems there are less competent roofers, then there are in total roofers - So recommendations would also be welcome and most appreciated

Please note, all the other house holds seem interested in doing the roof and to get the village on the same page takes some effort.

I totally get your point, and I would love to spend a few thousand on other fun stuff so your input is appreciated

P.S Thanks for the tip, also FYI on MOBILE web browser (Im using Dolphin), the RFD mobile web version does NOT show your location only your name :)
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10813 posts
7147 upvotes
GTA, ON
chillychin wrote: This year, one of the renters came to talk to me and mentioned that the landlord and him had chatted and the renter believed he could patch the roof. After further clarification that most of us wanted to do our entire roofs and it was not just a single patch, the renter then said "ohhhh, let me contact the landlord then".
And then the renter falls off the roof and the landlord is in a much bigger pool of poo than if a septic tank had ruptured.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!