Home & Garden

Townhouse Roof - Neighbour Not Wanting to do - Potential Issues?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 11:46 am
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2922 posts
1744 upvotes
chillychin wrote: Actually asking both

I saw the landlord/owner last summer and had a brief discussion, but I havent had contact with them as of this year so not sure if they are still interested if at all. The other homes have been approaching me asking if I was interested in doing the roof which I said yes.

This year, one of the renters came to talk to me and mentioned that the landlord and him had chatted and the renter believed he could patch the roof. After further clarification that most of us wanted to do our entire roofs and it was not just a single patch, the renter then said "ohhhh, let me contact the landlord then".

I really dont see or like talking to the landlord vs the renter I see more often. I was hoping the renter would clarify and possibly help push the landlord to also fix the roof (another voice), though I do totally understand the renter wouldnt care so much
If I were in your position, I wouldn't be talking to the tenant - it's not for the tenant to decide plus there's a possibiity of him/her providing you with mis-information which could you more of a headache. If it were me, I would approach the owner and tell him/her that 7 of 8 of the owners are interested in redoing the roof and provide a few quotes (hopefully you already have this info) and ask if he would be interested in joining in as it may cheaper than him/her doing it on their own down the road. If they say no, just move on.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4043 posts
3226 upvotes
Toronto
LyGuy wrote: On that note....some townhouses are very tall...mine is 3 storeys so its hard to see the top completely. What's the best way to inspect the roof?
If you get much, much farther back and use binoculars, you should be at an angle to get a good view. I use my zoom lens on my SLR (about a 10X zoom) so I can get photos as well. I make sure I'm highly visible while doing this (on the sidewalk, standing on the street, etc.) as opposed to behind a tree or fence, so I won't look like a peeping tom.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1151 posts
848 upvotes
HAMILTON
If the owner does not want to participate in the group buy, there is absolutely nothing at all that you can do about it. He/she is not interested in being part of your village.

Just get on with whatever it is you are going to do and forget about them.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1733 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh I hate deadbeat neighbours.. we all know the type. Makes me really glad I sold my semi-detached a few years back and made the jump to detached.. though I still ran into deadbeat neighbours not wanting to do mutual reno's like patterned concrete.. can't win!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6513 upvotes
GTA, ON
dassub wrote: Ugh I hate deadbeat neighbours.. we all know the type. Makes me really glad I sold my semi-detached a few years back and made the jump to detached.. though I still ran into deadbeat neighbours not wanting to do mutual reno's like patterned concrete.. can't win!
You had me up until the patterned concrete. If you live in a fully detached home why is the neighbour a deadbeat because they don't want to do a matching driveway? You both have separate individual driveways, do you not? Your desire is no concern to them.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 23, 2011
521 posts
507 upvotes
West GTA
dassub wrote: Ugh I hate deadbeat neighbours.. we all know the type. Makes me really glad I sold my semi-detached a few years back and made the jump to detached.. though I still ran into deadbeat neighbours not wanting to do mutual reno's like patterned concrete.. can't win!
Wow.. calling your neighbor a deadbeat because they don't want in on a group buy to help save YOU money for something as expensive as patterned concrete?

You sound like the deadbeat to me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4093 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Patterned concrete is far from a necessity (and not everybody wants or likes it). I would not consider that in the territory of deadbeat neighbour.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32027 posts
17915 upvotes
Ottawa
If I was your neighbor, I would also reject your suggestion, as I prefer interlock!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2186 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You are the one who's deadbeat here. Why should your neighbours spend his money to fulfill your desires?

You sound like one of those terrible neighbours on the "fear thy neighbour" show.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1733 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
I should have clarified since I'm getting piled on here. Patterned concrete at the sides of the house (was gravel/sand before). I paid 90% of it, one of the side neighbours didn't want to do their side, and was happy with the gravel instead. It wouldn't have cost them very much.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6513 upvotes
GTA, ON
dassub wrote: I should have clarified since I'm getting piled on here. Patterned concrete at the sides of the house (was gravel/sand before). I paid 90% of it, one of the side neighbours didn't want to do their side, and was happy with the gravel instead. It wouldn't have cost them very much.
Still doesn't mean they have to pay for it. It was you that desired to change over the gravel to stamped concrete. If it was stamped concrete that ran along the property line before and you were repairing it then okay, then one would expect them to cover 50%. This isn't a joint element like a roof, or fence, or even a common driveway (town-house/semi-detached), but adding something that really isn't required. You could have easily went with preformed cement paving stones, and then asked for 50% of that. Is that the 10% that they paid?

As an aside, did you do the entire thing as stamped concrete? Where does the runoff rain water drain?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1733 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Still doesn't mean they have to pay for it. It was you that desired to change over the gravel to stamped concrete. If it was stamped concrete that ran along the property line before and you were repairing it then okay, then one would expect them to cover 50%. This isn't a joint element like a roof, or fence, or even a common driveway (town-house/semi-detached), but adding something that really isn't required. You could have easily went with preformed cement paving stones, and then asked for 50% of that. Is that the 10% that they paid?

As an aside, did you do the entire thing as stamped concrete? Where does the runoff rain water drain?
I did both sides of the house, a shed foundation, and a nice patio area in the backyard.
As for the runoff, I don't know, I'm a software guy. I leave that stuff to the professionals. They buried drain pipes and did slopes and such the way it should be done to code etc. The neighbours were okay with the drainage results.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2186 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dassub wrote: I should have clarified since I'm getting piled on here. Patterned concrete at the sides of the house (was gravel/sand before). I paid 90% of it, one of the side neighbours didn't want to do their side, and was happy with the gravel instead. It wouldn't have cost them very much.
You're getting piled on because you called someone a deadbeat, when you yourself are one.

He/she had no obligation to do it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32027 posts
17915 upvotes
Ottawa
I still would have rejected your suggestion, as I would rather leave the gravel/sand there or even better the original grass!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43549 posts
4128 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vkizzle wrote: I still would have rejected your suggestion, as I would rather leave the gravel/sand there or even better the original grass!
With the narrow spacing between houses nowadays, it's almost impossible to grow grass between houses. If you try, it will just get infested with weeds.
Artisan woodworker crafting cutting boards, custom wood furniture, tables, home decor, and more!
Instagram @studiocanopy

***For Sale*** Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Freud 10" 80T Ultimate Cut Off Blade | Heatware