Home & Garden

Townhouse Roof - Neighbour Not Wanting to do - Potential Issues?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 11:46 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33987 posts
19825 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote: With the narrow spacing between houses nowadays, it's almost impossible to grow grass between houses. If you try, it will just get infested with weeds.
No issues in our development here in Ottawa.
Neighbors and I have around 10ft between each home.
On one side it's almost double starting at the front of the home and narrows down to 10ft at the rear.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1707 posts
449 upvotes
koffey wrote: Without spending money? Requesting a quote and the dude using a drone.
Or tell the wife we’re buying a drone to inspect roof then have few beers checking out roof and you get new drone win win lol
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15438 posts
4604 upvotes
London
chillychin wrote: ..
To clarify the house was BUILT in 2005-06, with builder grade shingles or what ever they use at that time. The shingles were never re-done. These are the original shingles the house came with.
Likely infamous organic shingles (ie made from heavy cardboard base), produced from about 1988-2006 , last only about 1/2 the rated life and subject to several class action lawsuits.

Shingles these days use a fibreglass base. Architectural style shingles are more wind resistant than old school 3 tab shingles
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6998 posts
4169 upvotes
Victoria, BC
vkizzle wrote: No issues in our development here in Ottawa.
Neighbors and I have around 10ft between each home.
On one side it's almost double starting at the front of the home and narrows down to 10ft at the rear.
Have you seen the new developments in Ottawa? You could reach over and borrow toilet paper from your neighbour's bathroom. They are extremely closely packed in. I don't even see the point in calling them detached really - just link them and call it a day. I'd hate to be trying to do any maintenance between the houses lol. I hate new developments and their ugly cookie cutter looks and no yard space, no trees, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33987 posts
19825 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote: Have you seen the new developments in Ottawa? You could reach over and borrow toilet paper from your neighbour's bathroom. They are extremely closely packed in. I don't even see the point in calling them detached really - just link them and call it a day. I'd hate to be trying to do any maintenance between the houses lol. I hate new developments and their ugly cookie cutter looks and no yard space, no trees, etc.
Oh yes, its an eye sore.
Though we're in a new development, our homes were built in a more established part of Kanata North and we have larger than normal lots.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
374 upvotes
OTTAWA
vkizzle wrote: Oh yes, its an eye sore.
Though we're in a new development, our homes were built in a more established part of Kanata North and we have larger than normal lots.
is it just me or are they just building townhouses everywhere now in this city?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33987 posts
19825 upvotes
Ottawa
lurkknight wrote: is it just me or are they just building townhouses everywhere now in this city?
I don't have anything against townhomes, as it's a good starter for a young family, but I don't like certain builders that puts up 10 in a single row.
I also own two towns (rental properties) that were built by Urbandale and they're nicely staggered and maximum of 5 houses per block.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10809 posts
7140 upvotes
GTA, ON
I believe to prevent urban sprawl and to make homes more affordable, and to mix up the demographics, all new builds must now have a combination of towns, semis & detached homes. Towns are okay, but it's annoying to see some of the build quality. I don't like seeing towns with only drywall as the fire stop, they should be using casement blocks IMO. Also, the infill towns being built in my area right now, the builder looks like they're using metal framing over wood.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!