Toyota bZ4X Concept | Subaru Solterra BEV- Available Mid 2022

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 3:19 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes

Toyota bZ4X Concept | Subaru Solterra BEV- Available Mid 2022

Update: I have included information about Subaru Solterra in the Thread Summary below.

For anyone who doesn't know, when Toyota labels something as a concept it essentially means it is very close to the production version. We know this will be coming to Canada as Motormouth has done a video below, sadly no exclusive details related to Canada. North American-specific product details will be out later.

This is indeed the BEV that Toyota collaborated with Subaru. It is on the new e-TNGA BEV dedicated platform with a new AWD system developed with Subaru. This is a RAV 4 size vehicle. Expect Subaru to possibly have the name plate be Evoltis and announced at a later date.
It has a long wheelbase and short overhang to help create a distinctive design. To be built in Japan and China and available in mid-2022.

This announcement was also in line with Toyota's electrified future. We know that by 2025 there will be 70 models of electrified vehicles. To Toyota electrified means hybrid, PHEV, BEV, and hydrogen fuel cell. In those 70 models, it includes 15 BEVs with 7 having the bZ designation.
It also mentions that a hybrid and BEV pickup truck line will be coming as well.

On the side profile, it reminds me of the UX, apparently the light models seems to be from Lexus and the back is similar to the NX but more Toyota style lights.

On Toyota Global News Room, images shows a yoke not a steering wheel. Seen below.

Last edited by VanillaDonut on May 11th, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Subaru has announced their first EV SUV called the Solterra.
Given the rumours, some have thought this may have been the Evoltis but that is not the case. Maybe the name will be used on another vehicle, who knows.

The Solterra is BEV developed jointly with Toyota. Subaru is calling it the e-Subaru Global Platform. They plan to have it on sale in mid-2022.

25 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54685 posts
19492 upvotes
Should have been called BZ4U instead haha.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4578 posts
2099 upvotes
This one looks ready for production (the Lexus EV concept looked like an artsy prototype).

Not a fan of the interior, but they can easily fix it....
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes
motomondo wrote: This one looks ready for production (the Lexus EV concept looked like an artsy prototype).

Not a fan of the interior, but they can easily fix it....
Yeah, Toyota's interior since the new Rav4 hasn't really been doing it for me either. Not really sure what they are doing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5953 posts
2594 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
What are the chances they'll be able to manufacture more than a few thousand of these a year in 2022?

Toyota can barely make enough RAV4 Primes and those are really just standard RAV4 Hybrids with a larger battery, and different suspension (it supposedly has identical electric motors to the standard hybrid).
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6916 upvotes
Brampton
dealseaker101 wrote: What are the chances they'll be able to manufacture more than a few thousand of these a year in 2022?

Toyota can barely make enough RAV4 Primes and those are really just standard RAV4 Hybrids with a larger battery, and different suspension (it supposedly has identical electric motors to the standard hybrid).
^^^ This.
They got the tech. The problem here is Toyota bet on NiMH tech thus logistics longer than they should have then went Hydrogen and missed securing logistics.suppliers for Li-Ion for the EV boom.

Also Toyota has developed a reputation among suppliers that was once similar to GM's.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes
The Subaru Solterra really does look a lot like the Toyota bZ4x Concept. If someone knows Photoshop, they can probably increase the brightness on the darkened area to reveal what Subaru has done to the front and rims.
May 3, 2018
18 posts
3 upvotes
Markham, ON
Evoltis was used as the international model name for the Subaru Ascent.

Hopefully comes with more knobs and less screens. I'm not a fan of the huge slablet they have in the Legacy/Outback/Levorg.
At least more competition is always good.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes
aznblade42 wrote: Evoltis was used as the international model name for the Subaru Ascent.

Hopefully comes with more knobs and less screens. I'm not a fan of the huge slablet they have in the Legacy/Outback/Levorg.
At least more competition is always good.
oh, I never knew they used it for the Ascent in other countries. Unlikely to see the name used then.

Looking forward to seeing what Subaru does with the interior. I personally hope it is not a tablet infotainment screen that we see many auto manufacturers do. I prefer it to be integrated as we see with current Subaru models.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5953 posts
2594 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
VanillaDonut wrote:
Looking forward to seeing what Subaru does with the interior. I personally hope it is not a tablet infotainment screen that we see many auto manufacturers do. I prefer it to be integrated as we see with current Subaru models.
If this is anything like the BRZ/86 pair, the interior will be identical to the Toyota bZ4X concept.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8878 posts
6923 upvotes
Kitchener
SoroSuub1 wrote: Great that Subaru's not going to get left behind on EVs, but hope that they release some boxier and more practical EVs lol.
Boxy and extra ground clearance comes at a cost of significant loss of range (or significantly increased prices to pay for extra batteries).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7811 posts
3955 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Boxy and extra ground clearance comes at a cost of significant loss of range (or significantly increased prices to pay for extra batteries).
I don't disagree, but at the same time streamlining the shape of the rear hatch means you have less cargo capacity than a boxy car with a shorter wheelbase, so aesthetics aside I'd rather just get the shorter wheelbase.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes
iamskyhigh wrote: Price??
Unknown at the moment. More details shall be revealed likely next year as we near mid-2022.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5953 posts
2594 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Toyota is expecting that EVs will only make up 15% of their American sales by the year 2030 (a decade from now). That doesn't sound good for production numbers....will likely be a low volume compliance vehicle. I hope I'm wrong but good luck getting your hands on this unicorn, much like the RAV4 Prime.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/toyot ... 2021-05-12
Toyota Motor Corp. said Wednesday it expects battery electric vehicles (BEV) and fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEV) to make up 15% of total U.S. sales by 2030.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: Toyota is expecting that EVs will only make up 15% of their American sales by the year 2030 (a decade from now). That doesn't sound good for production numbers....will likely be a low volume compliance vehicle. I hope I'm wrong but good luck getting your hands on this unicorn, much like the RAV4 Prime.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/toyot ... 2021-05-12
That's disappointing. I am wondering why that is the case. Is it because of battery production/supply issues in North America or Toyota unwilling to invest too much in lithium-ion battery tech as such waiting for solid-state? Not exactly sure why.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6753 posts
5515 upvotes
VanillaDonut wrote: That's disappointing. I am wondering why that is the case. Is it because of battery production/supply issues in North America or Toyota unwilling to invest too much in lithium-ion battery tech as such waiting for solid-state? Not exactly sure why.
Pragmatic approach. Other than California, there is no law to push EV in US.

Heck, that EV rebate that GM and Tesla want Biden to extend for manufacturer who ran out isn't even on the table.

Only California has EV mandate. Quebec and BC combined for another 13M people on top of Cali's 40M. So only 14% of population of US and Canada lives under an EV mandate.

They know they are protected from Chinese brands in North America thanks to current relation and tariffs (Even Buick Envision require 25% tariff in US) and could be extended for many more terms. And US rare earth industry is pummeled since they can't compete with China whatever they can built up has products cost 20-30% more than Chinese (And that's with Chinese machinery and processes). But for Europe and rest of the world, especially in Chinese market, they'll need EVs and expect all these announced products, whatever volumes they can squeeze out will be handed towards those markets first.

That said, Hyundai/Kia is a lot less pessimistic on EVs.
https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3318

They are throwing $7.5B in the next 5 years for alternative fuel vehicle production in US. That's EV and Hydrogen.