Toyota Camry or Chevy Malibu?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2017 10:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
18 posts
1 upvote

Toyota Camry or Chevy Malibu?

Hello all. So over the past few weeks i have been thinking of getting a car. I was leaning toward getting a brand new Toyota Corolla but now that I have some more free time on my hands to do some research I think I will just buy used. Surprisingly the 2017 Toyota Corolla's insurance comes up to 250/month. I have been doing research and a lot of used cars have better insurance rates per month. Anyways I am kind of narrowing it down but am still open to suggestions. I want to try and get the best insurance quote I can but I also want to buy something relatively new. I have narrowed it down to either 2014 or 2015 Toyota Camry LE OR 2014-2016 Chevy Malibu LT. Both sit at around 200 per month and are new cars. I wanted to get some advice on my selections. Can people speak positively (or negatively) about my choices? I am reluctant about the chevy a bit because Toyota just has a better reputation on reliability but I have not done too much research on chevy. My budget is under 20k but would prefer under 15k. Also I wanted to know if used car dealerships do 0% financing if you give them a big down payment?
22 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25228 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal
I'll say the same thing as the Corolla thread. The cars in this class have reached parity. Buy whatever is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3609 posts
722 upvotes
At this point as raider said, which ever you prefeR and cheaper, interior quality, etc
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2037 posts
1439 upvotes
Personally I would say go Camry just because it'll last forever, even if it's boring as non-polygamous Sunday morning Mormon church
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25228 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal
LoANeal wrote: Personally I would say go Camry just because it'll last forever, even if it's boring as non-polygamous Sunday morning Mormon church
Mormons foresook polygamy long ago. That being said, if you get the hybrid, the Malibu is better. If you get the upper trim engine, the Toyota V6 anyday of the week. In base 2.whatever Litre format, with a standard slushbox, they are the same. The new Malibus have Android auto, which is amazing, but the 2015 doesn't seem to offer it.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2037 posts
1439 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Mormons foresook polygamy long ago. That being said, if you get the hybrid, the Malibu is better. If you get the upper trim engine, the Toyota V6 anyday of the week. In base 2.whatever Litre format, with a standard slushbox, they are the same. The new Malibus have Android auto, which is amazing, but the 2015 doesn't seem to offer it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bountiful ... h_Columbia

Agreed with the V6, Camry V6 is one of the only selling points of that car. If you're not going for it slush box to whatever you want. Blah. Pretty sure both the models will offer Bluetooth audio but I doubt much in the way of android auto or apple car play.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25228 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal
LoANeal wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bountiful ... h_Columbia

Agreed with the V6, Camry V6 is one of the only selling points of that car. If you're not going for it slush box to whatever you want. Blah. Pretty sure both the models will offer Bluetooth audio but I doubt much in the way of android auto or apple car play.
We are way off topic, but LDS officially rejects FLDS as a member church. They split over polygamy, and LDS objects to anyone using the term Mormon.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14516 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
Owning a 2012 and 2014 Camry, I find the 4 Cyl to give me decent power. It actually is faster compared to my older 2002 Camry LE V6. Unless you really need the power (and willing to pay the penalty at the pumps and possible lower resale value), I don't see the need of the V6.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8523 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: I'll say the same thing as the Corolla thread. The cars in this class have reached parity. Buy whatever is cheaper.
Ding. This OP.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 16, 2014
857 posts
437 upvotes
Easter Island
why is insurance high on 2017 corolla?
It has safety tech & better crash test ratings than previous years. Maybe it's you OP?
Jun 13, 2016
28 posts
11 upvotes
karakoram wrote: why is insurance high on 2017 corolla?
It has safety tech & better crash test ratings than previous years. Maybe it's you OP?
Because statistically Corolla drivers have significantly more claims per capita. Dollar to dollar the Toyota Corolla is a very expensive car to insure in Ontario to my understanding.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22001 posts
2617 upvotes
ottlife91 wrote: Because statistically Corolla drivers have significantly more claims per capita. Dollar to dollar the Toyota Corolla is a very expensive car to insure in Ontario to my understanding.
that's true for entire Honda and Toyota lineup.. A unspoken "tax" you have to pay
Dec 16, 2014
857 posts
437 upvotes
Easter Island
ottlife91 wrote: Because statistically Corolla drivers have significantly more claims per capita. Dollar to dollar the Toyota Corolla is a very expensive car to insure in Ontario to my understanding.
that's true for older models especially 2009-2011 but newer corollas have low premiums. 2017 premium is very low compared to civic, elantra etc. I've checked
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11254 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Camry base on the reliability and resell value.

I would pay a bit more as brand new just for these 2 reasons.

I still see tons of Camry that was made 2 decades ago running around, however not so much for a Chevy.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)