Automotive

Toyota Camry Hybrid vs Honda Accord Hybrid vs Toyota Corolla?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 12:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4203 posts
2257 upvotes

Toyota Camry Hybrid vs Honda Accord Hybrid vs Toyota Corolla?

I’m in the market of buying a new car, I’d prefer a hybrid to save on gas as I’m not that rich for a fully electric car yet.

I’ve so far driven a Toyota Camry Hybrid 2018 and live it. The only problem I have heard so far is that the navigation/Entune multimedia is garbage which has ruined a lot of people’s opinion on this car. I’m not sure if the 2019 model has fixed these issues?

I also just saw that Honda has their own version of a Accord Hybrid and I don’t know much about it, anyone have one or know about it?

I have also taken a peak at the Corolla SE 2019 and it was a nicely loaded car, but I don’t know how good the mpg is and what people think of the car so far.

I’d love people’s input of the cars I mentioned and I’m not sure what route to go yet.
60 replies
May 12, 2011
263 posts
171 upvotes
TO
Buy a Corolla, you may save more in the long run.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4203 posts
2257 upvotes
simon416 wrote: Buy a Corolla, you may save more in the long run.
How so?

Getting a hybrid will save me on gas alone.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Sejad on Nov 12th, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2011
263 posts
171 upvotes
TO
With hybrid you pay more upfront, also battery replacement, mechanical repair and maintenance costs are higher.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13360 posts
13718 upvotes
Oakville
Sejad wrote: How so?

Getting a hybrid will same me on gas alone.
How many KM a year do you drive? You're unlikely to save enough to cover the price difference between a Corolla and any hybrid/electric.
Penalty Box
Jun 15, 2012
2338 posts
716 upvotes
Saskatoon
I doubt that you will save enough with hybrids to justify the price difference.
new Corolla hatchback with larger 2.0 engine can get better mpg
Fuel Consumption - City/Highway/Combined mpg manual 34/45/38 automatic 38/49/42
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6411 posts
1913 upvotes
The price of a hybrid is much higher than the Corolla. You only see significant fuel economy savings in a hybrid in city driving. On highway, not as much.
Feb 2, 2018
413 posts
378 upvotes
Montreal
ukrainiandude wrote: I doubt that you will save enough with hybrids to justify the price difference.
new Corolla hatchback with larger 2.0 engine can get better mpg
Fuel Consumption - City/Highway/Combined mpg manual 34/45/38 automatic 38/49/42
Are those figures for real!? 49 mpg highway!?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51973 posts
16572 upvotes
I would go with a Toyota hybrid. Easiest starts and London (where I lived for two year and spun our Civic on all seasons 180 twice) is consider a snow belt. I think the Honda Accord hybrid looks nice too but the exterior hasn't really grown on me.
https://www.markjacobsontoyota.com/toyo ... d-faqs.htm

2019 Camry has CarPlay now but still no heated steering wheel (less of an issue on a hybrid or ICEV since heat is just a by-product of the combustion process).

2020 Corolla coming out, probably going to much more fun to drive relative to pre-TNGA Toyota vehicles.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51973 posts
16572 upvotes
CloudReader wrote: Are those figures for real!? 49 mpg highway!?
Maybe on Canadian testing, which is a bit overstated.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/40334.shtml

32city
Highway :42

but it's going to be cramp in the backseat. I just sat in one while having our Toyota serviced Saturday. I definitely wouldn't consider the hatchback unless my kids are still kinda young and I put a backrest cover so as their kicking will not wear the fabric down.
Feb 2, 2018
413 posts
378 upvotes
Montreal
alanbrenton wrote: Maybe on Canadian testing, which is a bit overstated.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/40334.shtml

32city
Highway :42

but it's going to be cramp in the backseat. I just sat in one while having our Toyota serviced Saturday. I definitely wouldn't consider the hatchback unless my kids are still kinda young and I put a backrest cover so as their kicking will not wear the fabric down.
His figures fit quite well to your linked numbers if he posted in Imperial MPGs as opposed to US MPGs. I'm guessing he got his figures from a non-USA website.
Last edited by CloudReader on Nov 12th, 2018 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 15, 2017
348 posts
230 upvotes
Canada
Camry hybrid is $31,550
Corolla SE (automatic) $22,000

Saving on gas would have to make up the difference in price before you begin to see any savings. Then there are the financing costs, and long term costs of the battery/hybrid system.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51973 posts
16572 upvotes
CloudReader wrote: His figures fit quite well to your linked numbers if he posted in Imperial MPGs as opposed to US MPGs. I'm guessing he got his figures from a non-USA website.
Makes sense. I thought he got it from Canadian testing. :)

No way will the current hatchback do 49 MPG highway driving with the ottoman cycle engine. I think even the 2019 Honda Insight doesn't get that good a mileage on the highway.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25736 posts
10781 upvotes
Toronto
I really don't get people paying like $5000+ extra for having hybrid (for the same trim). If you drive like 50,000km a year, then yes, I can see you will recover the initial higher cost from gas savings in the 4th year down the road