Automotive

Toyota Gold/Platinum Extra Care Plan (ECP) no longer includes free service for vehicles with 6-month service intervals?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2024 4:55 pm
Sep 5, 2014
91 posts
48 upvotes

Toyota Gold/Platinum Extra Care Plan (ECP) no longer includes free service for vehicles with 6-month service intervals?

Just curious if this just got accidentally dropped from the website, or if the terms have changed?

A year ago, as confirmed by the WayBackMachine, the Toyota GOLD ECP included the following:
• For vehicles with 6 months/8,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy 4 oil and filter services and 1 tire rotation† at absolutely no extra cost
• For vehicles with 12 months/16,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy the first 2 years Maintenance Service Program†

And a year ago, the PLATINUM ECP included the following:
• For vehicles with 6 months/8,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy 8 oil and filter services and 1 tire rotation† at absolutely no extra cost
• For vehicles with 12 months/16,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy the first 3 years Maintenance Service Program†

Now, GOLD ECP just lists the following:
• For vehicles with 12 months/16,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy the first 2 years Maintenance Service Program†

Now, PLATINUM ECP just lists the following:
• For vehicles with 12 months/16,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy the first 3 years Maintenance Service Program†

Just curious, as the free service could be used in the past to offset the cost of the ECP and my dealer was making it seem like it's still the same. However, the car I'm looking at (Corolla LE) has 6 month/8,000km intervals and it looks like it currently gets no complimentary service?

Thought I'd double check before making a decision on the ECP.
12 replies
May 28, 2013
367 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be interested to know this too as I had purchased the same package and still haven't received my vehicle. If they dropped certain elements, I'll have to reconsider if it's still worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
BarbaraJeanE834 wrote: Just curious if this just got accidentally dropped from the website, or if the terms have changed?

A year ago, as confirmed by the WayBackMachine, the Toyota GOLD ECP included the following:
• For vehicles with 6 months/8,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy 4 oil and filter services and 1 tire rotation† at absolutely no extra cost
• For vehicles with 12 months/16,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy the first 2 years Maintenance Service Program†

And a year ago, the PLATINUM ECP included the following:
• For vehicles with 6 months/8,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy 8 oil and filter services and 1 tire rotation† at absolutely no extra cost

Now, GOLD ECP just lists the following:
• For vehicles with 12 months/16,000 kilometer oil change intervals, you’ll enjoy the first 2 years Maintenance Service Program†

Now, PLATINUM ECP just lists the following:

Just curious, as the free service could be used in the past to offset the cost of the ECP and my dealer was making it seem like it's still the same. However, the car I'm looking at (Corolla LE) has 6 month/8,000km intervals and it looks like it currently gets no complimentary service?

Thought I'd double check before making a decision on the ECP.

I think it's the same thing.
The latest Corolla has a 12 month/16,000 km oil change interval.
It still has a 6 month/8000 service that does not include an oil change.
The Gold and Platinum ECPs cover 2 years and 3 years of maintenance, respectively.

That's how I'm interpreting the above, anyway.
Sep 5, 2014
91 posts
48 upvotes
Ah. Okay, I just checked and it's just Service #2 and #3 that have replace oil and filter; those are a year apart.

So I should be good for complimentary service every six months for three years if I have platinum, right?

The ECP was kind of sneaked into my bill of sale; I was told that since the car had been ordered with a ECP but not picked up, that I need to take it. Not sure that's entirely true and I believe I can cancel it within 60 days? Just trying to weigh whether or not to keep it or not by calculating the benefit of the complimentary service.
May 28, 2013
367 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
BarbaraJeanE834 wrote: Ah. Okay, I just checked and it's just Service #2 and #3 that have replace oil and filter; those are a year apart.

So I should be good for complimentary service every six months for three years if I have platinum, right?

The ECP was kind of sneaked into my bill of sale; I was told that since the car had been ordered with a ECP but not picked up, that I need to take it. Not sure that's entirely true and I believe I can cancel it within 60 days? Just trying to weigh whether or not to keep it or not by calculating the benefit of the complimentary service.
I would think you can cancel it before pickup if you wanted. That being said, I definitely would not be bringing my vehicle to that dealership to be serviced just for the fact that they snuck that in. I am not going to give them any additional profits from servicing vehicle under warranty.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
You can cancel before/during pickup, as least that was the option that was provided to me.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1959 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
Toyotas are so reliable their ECP plan is a waste of money. Surprised any RFD person would buy it.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1959 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
BarbaraJeanE834 wrote: Ah. Okay, I just checked and it's just Service #2 and #3 that have replace oil and filter; those are a year apart.

Total BS. If it is even true the car was "not picked up" by a previous purchaser, that has nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing to do with your purchase.
Jan 26, 2011
624 posts
1717 upvotes
Anyone able to confirm this?

I read that you can get a full refund of ECP if unused and within 30 days of purchase.

If we assume a preorder car that is not arriving until next year or the year after, is this 30 days of signing (deposit), or day of receiving a VIN, or day of delivery?

I also read that you can ask for this refund directly from Toyota's customer service number instead of dealing with the dealership that sold you it in the first place.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
In many situations, people look at Extended Warranties if they owned a vehicle that had frequent Repairs. Also, the Finance Office and the Service Department LOVE Extended warranties as they make money selling it, and it compels customers to bring the vehicle to the Dealership for service.

Based on my 20 years of ownership of Toyota's (2002 Camry LE V6, 2012 Camry LE, 2014 Camry) I don't see the need to purchase extended warranties for the reasons listed below:

- Toyota vehicles are generally better built than other vehicles and the reason why people go towards them. Do your homework BEFORE buying a vehicle to see what models of a manufacture are good. Toyota has some models that have had lots of issues and others that are pretty solid. Consumer Reports does provide reliability info about new and older vehicles to give you an idea. Access is free from your local Library. Also, purchase the model of Toyota that has been out for a few years and not the first year of a new generation. Those tend to have most issues that are resolved by the next refresh cycle.

- Toyota historically has good customer support and components that have failed tend to have special campaigns to resolve them. For example, on my 2002 Camry LE V6, there was an issue where the throttle body could freeze up in cold weather and cause an acceleration issue. Toyota replaced this for all impacted VIN's for no charge. My 2012 Camry had a torque convertor shudder and and Toyota extended the transmission warranty and replaced the torque convertor for no charge.

- Most extended warranty items cover components that don't typically fail within the time period and can be fixed for a reasonable price. Wear items are rarely covered.

- Most vehicles these days have very little maintenance needed. For example, Coolant gets changed every 160K, Spark Plugs every 192K and it is suggested to change the Transmission fluid every 100K. Aside from that, you get routine maintenance done which is oil change, tire rotation, a brake cleaning every couple of years or 40K, differential fluid change for AWD vehicles at specified intervals.

- The Money you would spend on extended warranties will offset any repairs that might come up that is covered within it. It is rare (for Toyota's at least) where you would come out $1000's ahead on an extended warranty vs. paying out of pocket.

- Having a ECP warranty will require you to prove that you have done your all of the suggested maintenance. This is not an issue if you follow the Toyota service schedule but most people will opt to take their vehicle to their private mechanic to have things looked at. If a warranty issue comes up, you will have to prove the maintenance was done with Toyota knowledge and this can cause pushback from Dealerships or Toyota Canada.

Using my 2002 Camry LE V6, I did get an ECP Warranty as I owned a Ford Taurus before and that was really a Fix Or Repair Daily vehicle. The money I spent on the ECP I broke even on. On my 2012 Camry, I purchased no warranty and in the 11 years and 218K so far, only 1 repair that would be covered under ECP warranty needed to be done (window switches on driver side stopped working and cost me $500). Still, I saved over $1200 by not getting the ECP.

My suggestion that I did for my 2012 Camry, is take the ECP money and put it in your TFSA and buy stocks. When you need the money, you can cash out and make money.

Again, this has been my experience and others might be different.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Is it worthwhile to get "Toyota ECP Tire and Rim Road Hazard Protection" for tire replacement?
Jan 29, 2024
1 posts
1 upvote
You can buy the ECP from any dealer in Canada and most likely the US as well even if you bought the car from another Toyota dealer. You have 30 days to buy this insurance after buying the vehicle.

A different Toyota dealer reduced my ECP by $450.00 on a 100,000/4-year platinum plan on a 2024 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro.
Your Toyota service department just bills Toyota for ECP services does not know who you purchased it from, and does not care. Most people add the ECP onto the cost of the Vehicle adding $30.00 a month to their payment paying the full retail price
The only true winner is the Financial person who up-charged you on the ECP and pocketed the extra.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I don't believe in ECP for Gas vehicles. Put this money into a TFSA account and buy a GIC or stocks for income.

The 2 Camry vehicles I have with 246K on one and 155K on the other had minimal issues. Had I bought the ECP, I would have lost money on it.

For Hybrids, I would consider it as the parts can be expensive if something major breaks.