Nov 16, 2015
95 posts
21 upvotes
Port Moody, BC

Toyota RAV4 Hybrid vs Tesla 3 Standard+

Hello,
want to ask everyone's opinion.
I live with my wife (no kids yet).
We are expecting a get a new car this winter.
My wife's work is 15 minutes by drive and i am planning to take transit when it's back to normal from covid.
For now, Tesla 3 might work for us as a couple but we are also planning to have a kid maybe in 2-3 years.
I was thinking about few options here for my family's situation.

1. Get tesla 3 for next few years and get a bigger (but cheaper or/and used) car for family use when it's in need.

2. Get Rav4 Hybrid for now and use it as a family car, and get a smaller car (tesla3 or something cheaper) if it's in need.

What do you guys think??
Thanks
82 replies
[OP]
Nov 16, 2015
95 posts
21 upvotes
Port Moody, BC
Tesla3
Pros
-> 8k incentive
-> electric car
-> cool car
-> have parking lot with charging at home (not a fast charger)

Cons
-> small (when we have a kid)

Rav4 Hybrid
Pros
-> Big
-> Hybrid
-> useful

Cons
-> big for a couple at this moment...??
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9196 posts
8442 upvotes
Tesla Model 3. Resale should remain strong for 2-3 years. Worry about your next car when kid comes. By then, you may be a 2 car household anyway if not, just sell Tesla for another car in 2-3 years.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25994 posts
10705 upvotes
Socially Distanced
If you can get the Tesla go for it.
That said a car vs SUV, many people like the seating height of the SUV.

But since you are asking you apparently are not an SUV purist. The Model 3 is sized well and has a trunk and a frunk. For a family of three it will serve you well.

The biggest con of the Model 3 is that the wait list might be a while. Check on that so you are making an informed decision.
The wait time for the RAV4 hybrid might also be a while if buying new.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2390 posts
1974 upvotes
Montreal
I had a Golf Alltrack for 3 years my daugther is now 2.5 years and son of 10 months. You can manage with 1 kid.

Since May we ride in my gf golf. We don't have any problems with size.

Put a roof box if space is a problem.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17801 posts
10338 upvotes
Ottawa
One kid is no problem for a sedan like Tesla. Even 2 kids is very fine. My friend does fine with a Honda Civic sedan 2 kids and felt no need to upsize.

really, it's more about going pure EV vs Hybrid. I would prefer a Plug-in Hybrid over a regular Hybrid.
Last edited by warpdrive on Aug 10th, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1094 posts
1046 upvotes
Funny enough I mentioned in another post yesterday this is the exact dilemma I faced for weeks. We ended up ordering a model 3.

My justification was that we each commute and realistically won't be able to do any major road trips until our kids are around 3 years old. By that time we'll replace our other ICE vehicle with a used Rav4 Hybrid or Rav4 Prime. Otherwise, we'd be driving a larger than necessary vehicle.

The model 3 actually has a lot of usable space. Our make or break was making sure we could fit a rear facing car seat in the back row which we could.

TLDR: RAV4 is tempting because of its size but unnecessary IMO until kids are older since it will be primarily a commuting vehicle. By that time we'll get a used Rav4 as a second vehicle. Conditional on having a backup ICE vehicle which we do have.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1094 posts
1046 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: If you can get the Tesla go for it.
That said a car vs SUV, many people like the seating height of the SUV.

But since you are asking you apparently are not an SUV purist. The Model 3 is sized well and has a trunk and a frunk. For a family of three it will serve you well.

The biggest con of the Model 3 is that the wait list might be a while. Check on that so you are making an informed decision.
The wait time for the RAV4 hybrid might also be a while if buying new.
Ordered the Model 3 early July, estimated delivery is early Sept. If I had placed an order on a rav4 hybrid I was told I was lucky by the end of the year - no guarantees. Rav4 prime 2022.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25994 posts
10705 upvotes
Socially Distanced
kronos288 wrote: Ordered the Model 3 early July, estimated delivery is early Sept. If I had placed an order on a rav4 hybrid I was told I was lucky by the end of the year - no guarantees. Rav4 prime 2022.
Wow, thanks for posting this, save OP the leg work.

Back when the Model 3 was coming out Elon had said that the speed of the slowest arriving component would determine the rate of Model 3 production, it seems in the age of chip shortages that statement has held true. They wanted to bring production of all components in house, they probably didn't accomplish it with these chips since they are dealing with the shortage but they seem to have not cut orders like other automakers and are reaping the rewards (to the degree they can).
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1094 posts
1046 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Wow, thanks for posting this, save OP the leg work.

Back when the Model 3 was coming out Elon had said that the speed of the slowest arriving component would determine the rate of Model 3 production, it seems in the age of chip shortages that statement has held true. They wanted to bring production of all components in house, they probably didn't accomplish it with these chips since they are dealing with the shortage but they seem to have not cut orders like other automakers and are reaping the rewards (to the degree they can).
I test drove about 12 vehicles and spent 3 weeks shopping...hate car shopping. Any time I can save the OP I'm happy to oblige.

The only Tesla models that haven't had production delays recently is the SR+. Even the Long Range Model 3 was delayed. Model Y I think was pushed to December for deliveries at the earliest.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2015
95 posts
21 upvotes
Port Moody, BC
Thank you for everyone's comments.

During i was posting this, i thought everyone will tell me get SUV for usability and Toyota's reliability.

I already checked with Tesla (website) that M3+ is available about 3 months and Toyota 2021 Rav4 Hybrid about 2-3months or 2022 one on late December or January.

I need a new car before mid-January so either Tesla or Rav4 Hyb was okay to me when i think about the timeline.

Last 10+ years, I have driven suv, full sedan, golf, and coupe. Each one of them had its own good and bad things.

Maybe i should order model 3 now so that i can get a car on Nov (or Dec if it delays). Astonished Face
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1770 upvotes
You don't need all that space in RAV4 for just one kid in the back. Seems wasteful to me. Pretty sure even with two kids, a sedan like Model 3 will be perfectly fine. I grew up in a family of four and we had a 4 door Golf and it was fine.
Last edited by Hindenburg1 on Aug 10th, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2015
95 posts
21 upvotes
Port Moody, BC
kronos288 wrote: I test drove about 12 vehicles and spent 3 weeks shopping...hate car shopping. Any time I can save the OP I'm happy to oblige.

The only Tesla models that haven't had production delays recently is the SR+. Even the Long Range Model 3 was delayed. Model Y I think was pushed to December for deliveries at the earliest.
Yes, when i check the rep at Tesla last weekend, every model is delayed even S and X (i just asked even though i wasnt' interested Face With Tears Of Joy)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25994 posts
10705 upvotes
Socially Distanced
kronos288 wrote: I test drove about 12 vehicles and spent 3 weeks shopping...hate car shopping. Any time I can save the OP I'm happy to oblige.
I enjoy car shopping, though i typically already know what i want but enjoy testing others to confirm my choice.
But i can understand thats not for everyone.

Interesting.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2015
95 posts
21 upvotes
Port Moody, BC
Hindenburg1 wrote: You don't need all that space in RAV4 for just one kid in the back. Seems wasteful to me. Pretty sure even with two kids, a sedan like Model 3 will be perfectly fine.
i thought so too.
My friends were like,
"what if you have a kid in the back car seat, stroller and kid's stuffs in the trunk, and you have to go to groceries? Model 3 won't be enough"

When i saw and drove Model 3, i think it was enough unless i go to costco and buy 20 milks.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1094 posts
1046 upvotes
BLENZv wrote: i thought so too.
My friends were like,
"what if you have a kid in the back car seat, stroller and kid's stuffs in the trunk, and you have to go to groceries? Model 3 won't be enough"

When i saw and drove Model 3, i think it was enough unless i go to costco and buy 20 milks.
Then you have the frunk and the back drivers side seat :). We do it all the time in our current vehicle.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25994 posts
10705 upvotes
Socially Distanced
BLENZv wrote: i thought so too.
My friends were like,

I drive a subcompact without a frunk and 20 bags of milk would fit in the trunk no problem.
In fact i moved many times with it, the only things it would not fit is the bed, dresser and couch.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Just to put a spanner in the works of those claiming the RAV4 is a waste because it’s too big... it’s actually smaller than the Model 3 in everything but height.

The Rav 4 is 4” shorter, 3” narrower but 9” taller.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
Andy34 wrote: Just to put a spanner in the works of those claiming the RAV4 is a waste because it’s too big... it’s actually smaller than the Model 3 in everything but height.

The Rav 4 is 4” shorter, 3” narrower but 9” taller.
Haha...very true. I am currently car shopping and have prepared an excel sheet for comparisons. One of the columns to compare is dimensions because I don’t trust my eyesight. 🤣
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)