[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Toyota RAV4 Mechanical Review

Here's a mechanical review on the 5th generation RAV4:

Lets take a peak under the hood. On top there's a plastic valve cover, easy to access ignition coils, port fuel injectors and the high pressure pump driven off the exhaust camshaft for the direct injectors.
On the side you can see emissions stuff, namely EVAP and EGR.

This engine has VVT on both the intake and exhaust. The intake VVT actuator is an electric motor with a planetary gear set to speed up or slow down the camshaft to advance or retard timing:

Here's a look at the milimeter radar sensor behind the emblem:

A look at the AWD transfer case. The fill and drain ports are easily access for fluid exchanges:

Once the underbelly plastic has been removed, there's clear access to the oil pan and drain plug:

And the filter is a typical spin on style - no more cartridge:

Looking forward of the engine, you can see where the coolant hose goes into the plastic thermostat housing and the electrically driven water pump. The starter motor is accessed from underneath the vehicle:

The transmission is actually serviceable! Although it doesn't have a dipstick, it does have a fill port on the side:

The front suspension is a typical TNGA McPherson Strut suspension setup:

The brakes are just single piston up front:

The rear suspension is now multi-link. Better handling, but more parts to replace when they wear out.

That electric parking brake actuator....sits on the back of the caliper:

One cool thing I found is the airbag pressure sensor in the door. It senses the amount of deformation of the door skin against the inner door frame to classify the severity of a side impact to deploy restraints accordingly.

Enjoy!

Suggestions for feedback always welcome.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
1 reply
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19442 upvotes
If I don't go with a BEV (too pricey, lots of compromise), I will mostly likely pick up a used 2020 in a few years' time. :)

Good job Speedkar!