Automotive

Toyota requires a subscription to use key fob for a feature that doesn't use Toyota features

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2021 7:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG

Toyota requires a subscription to use key fob for a feature that doesn't use Toyota features

So, it seems like more and more companies are moving towards perpetual subscription service for features you've already paid for.
Remember when BMW wanted to charge drivers to use Apple CarPlay? How about the subscription required for the Mercedes EQS's rear-wheel steering functionality in Europe?
But Toyota's is even better...
A Toyota spokesperson confirmed to The Drive that if a 2018 or later Toyota is equipped with Toyota's Remote Connect functions, the vehicle must be enrolled in a valid subscription in order for the key fob to start the car remotely. To be clear, what we're talking about is the proximity-based RF remote start system, where you press a button on the fob to start the car while outside of it within a certain distance—say, from your front door to warm up your vehicle in the driveway on a cold morning before you get in. Your fob uses radio waves to communicate with the car, and no connection back to Toyota's servers is needed. But the function will not work without a larger Remote Connect subscription.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43329/toy ... on-service

Which features are you willing to pay a monthly fee for?
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
12 replies
Feb 28, 2021
353 posts
357 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
None. Paying for the car should be the only money that comes out of my pocket to enjoy it. Either put the features in or don’t.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
thebluegoat wrote: None. Paying for the car should be the only money that comes out of my pocket to enjoy it. Either put the features in or don’t.
Elon Musk has entered the chat…
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
Since their cars are easily stolen through some easy key fob hacks, I'm sure they subscriptions service will be easy to get around without having to pay for it.

I wonder if this is going to be the future - no more outright car purchases, just annual leases.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Elon Musk has entered the chat…
Haha this is something I thought Tesla will come up with first. Some day by being born, someone already own you. Then you just rent your own life from overlord like Bezos, Musk, or Gates. Imagine that humans become another person or companies’ property the moment they were born. Don’t say no, I can feel this is coming soon. Like Truman show.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
rf134a wrote: So, it seems like more and more companies are moving towards perpetual subscription service for features you've already paid for.

But Toyota's is even better...

I agree it's dumb, but none of those features listed require a connection back to the server. Really stupid assertion from the Drive.

I'm ok with how Tesla had done the subscription. They offer a monthly fee or you can buy it outright.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Nov 9, 2020
214 posts
150 upvotes
Methinks it’s the way of the stupid future. Microsoft does it with their MS Office suite.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Tiger131 wrote: Methinks it’s the way of the stupid future. Microsoft does it with their MS Office suite.
Good news is that there will probably hacks to enable these.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
So older cars which had the remote start built into the key still work. I assume it's only for new cars.

Kind of sucks, but as long as they don't list it as a standard feature, it's not that big of a deal, crappy since almost all competitors offer it.

I just went to try it on my 2021 Lexus and my keyfob starts the car.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6123 upvotes
Ottawa
I wouldn't pay a subscription fee for a remote start. Why? That's a feature that already worked and didn't need to be "improved" to charge a monthly fee.

Years ago I did pay for OnStar. This was before in dash navigation systems and phone based GPS became the norm. Loved calling up the agent to send me directions to the car. Enjoyed the monthly diagnostic emails. Locked the keys in the car once and took advantage of remote unlock. And, really like the accident notification system - that alone was worth it for us to pay a monthly fee as DW at the time was driving a lot at night on remote roads. OnStar provided great peace of mind.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
rf134a wrote: But Toyota's is even better...

Not willing to pay a cent for anything from that garbage company. Even with real car companies though, this is a ridiculous model which stinks of the type of thing Tesla is known for (as has already been pointed out).

You would think that people would outrage about this and refuse to subscribe, as well as "voting with their dollars", etc. However the sad part is the generation of fools that thinks a "must have" have in a car is stuff like Android Auto and the "infotainment" has to be great instead of I dunno performing well...these clowns will just pay for it anyway, I'd imagine. Which will only mean all manufacturers will start doing it, if that's the case :rolleyes:

Hopefully if it's true no internet/server connectivity is required, these features can be "hacked" in by the rest of us that refuse this kind of nonsense.
engineered wrote: I agree it's dumb, but none of those features listed require a connection back to the server. Really stupid assertion from the Drive.
True but "The Drive" is sometimes a bit hacky, depends on who is writing for them. There's basically all kinds of yahoos that call themselves "journalists" in this day and age, many of them not knowing journalism from a hole in the ground.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
spike1128 wrote:
Haha this is something I thought Tesla will come up with first. Some day by being born, someone already own you. Then you just rent your own life from overlord like Bezos, Musk, or Gates. Imagine that humans become another person or companies’ property the moment they were born. Don’t say no, I can feel this is coming soon. Like Truman show.
If we give them more tax cuts that will make this subscription problem go away :facepalm:

Frankly it comes to a point that government needs to regulate such things, otherwise we get even worse crap.
Software as a service and micro payments for everyday functionality is simply a cash grab :facepalm:
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jul 29, 2019
909 posts
788 upvotes
Other automakers are contemplating similar moves or already have. Don't be surprised either if heated seats and steering wheel only work via a paid subscription. Toyota doesn't mention it, but likely will follow as the others do the same thing.

What I am also shocked by is Toyota will disable the remote start button on the key fob if you are outside the trial period/no longer subscribed. This is just bonkers. If it was a subscription for the app, that's fine, but to also disable the function on the physical keyfob itself is crazy talk.