Automotive

Toyota's hatchback-SUV Corolla Cross Hybrid reportedly headed for Canada...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2022 9:23 pm
103 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
I expect it to be dreadful because all Toyota CUVs are horrid to drive, but it probably will sell very well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19285 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'll admit looks great.

I just wish Toyota would fix their Triptronic.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 23, 2006
576 posts
188 upvotes
reefer123 wrote: So back to Matrix ? Good the Corolla hatchback they have it now is a small/useless car (space vise)
+1
I hate the current Corolla hatchback as soon as I got inside. It is so cramped compare to my 10 year old hatchback. The outside looks sleek tho that's what got me to sit inside in the first place.
The Cross hits most (if not all) of my checklist just curious about the price. It is very likely to be my next car. Give it the 2.0L engine and Android Auto. AWD options would be nice too.
PM $10 50 min 50 txt - friend code MLZKRQ
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2275 posts
1849 upvotes
Toronto
Prices listed for Thailand are insanely expensive - starting at 44,255 CAD (1,019,000 THB) for the hybrid and 41,650 CAD (959,000 THB) for the gasoline engine. I'm not sure how that's going to translate when they bring in to NA.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1183 upvotes
yawn, another underpowered CUV hitting the streets. Exterior looks decent and looks to be helluva lot more practical than the CHR. It'll sell well.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
Bull Dog wrote: Prices listed for Thailand are insanely expensive - starting at 44,255 CAD (1,019,000 THB) for the hybrid and 41,650 CAD (959,000 THB) for the gasoline engine. I'm not sure how that's going to translate when they bring in to NA.
It doesn't. Never use the conversion rates to determine pricing of any car and how much it will cost in Canada. Far too many look at European car pricing if that figure is released earlier than North America and then go "OMG its so expensive, it'll cost a fortune" only for them to not take into account that European pricing includes taxes, etc. and even then it doesn't truly convert either. My car if I used the pricing in £ to determine Canadian pricing then I got a steal because I paid half of what the UK's price was converted back to CAD. Asian countries might even over inflate the price to discourage the poor from owning a car.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2275 posts
1849 upvotes
Toronto
JeganV wrote: It doesn't. Never use the conversion rates to determine pricing of any car and how much it will cost in Canada. Far too many look at European car pricing if that figure is released earlier than North America and then go "OMG its so expensive, it'll cost a fortune" only for them to not take into account that European pricing includes taxes, etc. and even then it doesn't truly convert either. My car if I used the pricing in £ to determine Canadian pricing then I got a steal because I paid half of what the UK's price was converted back to CAD. Asian countries might even over inflate the price to discourage the poor from owning a car.
Unless Trudeau puts on a 20% VAT like they do in Europe , to pay for his throwing cash around like a rapper "making it rain" at a strip bar. LOL
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22284 posts
2941 upvotes
Good job Toyota, milk the CUVs for all they are worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7791 posts
6219 upvotes
Ottawa
george__ wrote: Good job Toyota, milk the CUVs for all they are worth
Pretty much like everybody else. If you're a fan of tall wagons or tall hatchbacks, there's plenty of choice these days. Putting more of the car's weight up higher was once considered a bad thing.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31871 posts
18853 upvotes
Toronto
If Mazda CX30 can do it, why not the Corolla ?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
beauty of a single shared modular platform, makes it cheaper to churn out products that fill every possible size / niche... this is bigger than C-HR but smaller than RAV4, so similar to what the Qashqai does in Nissan's lineup.. will be a hit with the urban crowd who doesn't care much about driving
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9310 posts
10901 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Seems like their competitor for Honda’s HRV. I guess it sells well enough and had its best year of sales in the US in 2019.

Also seems like there is decent demand for what the original smaller CRV and RAV4 were 20 years ago.

This will probably sell decent also if reasonably priced.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12902 posts
7645 upvotes
Brampton
I'd actually like to see a Matrix again.
Give it the newer 2.0L, CVT/6MT & give it the same basic viscous coupler AWD drivetrain.
Give it that magical cabin that could fit a washing machine with the rear seats folded, but updated so it doesn't have hard plastics in the passenger area.

Keep that go kart like handling of the 1st Gen/Corolla Hatch. It ain't fast but it wasn't boring either to toss around.

I'd buy it as my Daily where I would give 0 F's about it for my Kijiji pickups and HD runs.
Man I missed tossing my 05 around and doing donuts in the winter. It Couldn't get out of it's own way when it was fully loaded and sounded like a bunch of angry bees under the hood when merging on the highway.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11076 posts
4331 upvotes
That actually looks nice.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37751 posts
23837 upvotes
Center of Universe
What's with the weak ass powerplant in the non-hybrid trim?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2015 posts
1062 upvotes
Alberta
Depending on when this comes out, might pick one up for my dad for his retirement present.