• Aug 3rd, 2021 7:26 pm
Tags:
None
11 replies
Dec 3, 2013
517 posts
113 upvotes
Brampton, ON
any good recommendations for a just turning 3 year old?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1458 posts
1006 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
sjangss wrote: any good recommendations for a just turning 3 year old?
I went for a 12" frame which is supposed to be over 3 feet and my 3 year old girl is just under that so hopefully we'll get some use out of it.
Aug 3, 2009
734 posts
130 upvotes
sjangss wrote: any good recommendations for a just turning 3 year old?
My recommendation would be a Balance bike instead

Got this one on Amazon and my son loves it. He is whips around the house on it and we take it outside as well (gotta clean it though if you bring it back in of course). We liked this because it teaches him to balance.

TotDino Balance Bike. 12" inch No Pedal Bike with Real Tires. Lightweight, Easy to Assemble Adjustable Bike for Kids and Toddlers Ages 3- 5 1/2 Years https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08P1649LX/ref ... DEPSBQS9RW

Lots of other ones on the market of course , we liked this one design
Dec 3, 2013
517 posts
113 upvotes
Brampton, ON
cyphr wrote: My recommendation would be a Balance bike instead

Got this one on Amazon and my son loves it. He is whips around the house on it and we take it outside as well (gotta clean it though if you bring it back in of course). We liked this because it teaches him to balance.

TotDino Balance Bike. 12" inch No Pedal Bike with Real Tires. Lightweight, Easy to Assemble Adjustable Bike for Kids and Toddlers Ages 3- 5 1/2 Years https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08P1649LX/ref ... DEPSBQS9RW

Lots of other ones on the market of course , we liked this one design
I actually have a balance bike too... was looking for a pedal bike once he graduates the balance bike!
Aug 3, 2009
734 posts
130 upvotes
sjangss wrote: I actually have a balance bike too... was looking for a pedal bike once he graduates the balance bike!
Dammit, why didn’t I think of that. Lol, now actively looking at this deal. 🤣
Aug 2, 2014
539 posts
537 upvotes
Vancity
These all look like your typical cheaply made, heavy as hell steel bikes, ala Walmart specials. Still overpriced for what they are.

I bought the cheap heavy ones for my kids when they were small, because they outgrow them so quickly, but damn are they ever ridiculously heavy for little kids. I honestly felt a little sad I cheaped out, but they thrash the hell out of them at 4-5 years old.

I'm buying them higher quality aluminum ones next. I also recommend going with those balance bikes first, instead of these cheapo bikes.
Dec 23, 2012
38 posts
140 upvotes
Richmond
Second hand 16” Specialized. $40, 7kg and better than everything at Toys R Us.
Dec 25, 2017
174 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver
pozix604 wrote: Second hand 16” Specialized. $40, 7kg and better than everything at Toys R Us.
An example for the uninitiated? I was looking at something for my 4 year old but this got me thinking...
Dec 23, 2012
38 posts
140 upvotes
Richmond
soserious wrote: An example for the uninitiated? I was looking at something for my 4 year old but this got me thinking...
In general I’d just look for a second hand kid’s bike from a major bike company like Trek, Spawn, Woom, Specialized or Commencal. They will likely be aluminum, use better components and be much lighter. I buy second hand from Craigslist. My experience is that they are usually fine, no problems. Take for a test ride before taking it. Maybe pump up the tire again. There last one I bought was a Specialized 16” wheel, $40. 7kg is lighter than anything I’ve seen at a big box store, important for a kid to enjoy riding.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1458 posts
1006 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
Ended up with this one...quality paint job and she will enjoy the basket.

Doordash delivery was convenient saved a trip to the mall.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4029 posts
1102 upvotes
Brampton
I was hoping for one with a rear derailleur, so my son can get used to using gears. He wants to climb hills like daddy. :P
Looks like these are all single speed BMX style.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.