Shopping Discussion

Toys R Us Won't Price Match WM Rollbacks?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 5:56 pm
[OP]
May 24, 2014
201 posts
106 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS

Toys R Us Won't Price Match WM Rollbacks?

Walmart has a Rollback on Evenflo Titan 65 car seats, for $89.97. My daughter is too light for a booster, and too tall for her current car seat. They aren't in stock in any Walmart near me, so I would have to drive 32 km (one way) to the one Walmart that still has them. Canadian Tire all around me also doesn't have them in stock, but Babies R Us does, which is a 20 km drive for me instead. I checked Toys R Us price match policy before I headed out. Key points I noted for my situation were:
  • Price Match applies to items offered at regular price or on sale.
  • The other retailer must have the advertised item in-stock and be available for immediate sale in the same local market area.
  • Special Sale prices including: Online only offers, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Friends and Family or Boxing Day/Week
  • Clearance items/Closeout/Liquidation sale/Clearance centres
When Babies R Us staff finally got the item from the back, I told them I would like to price match. So I showed the employee the Flipp ad on my phone of the car seat, and the employee responded saying that she is pretty sure they don't price match Rollbacks. So she went to ask a supervisor of some kind. The supervisor confirmed that they don't price match Rollbacks. I asked why, as I always understood Walmart Rollbacks to be their version of a "sale," and it's in Toys R Us Price Match policy that it applies to sale items as well as regular price. The supervisor wasn't sure as to why, so they brought out the manager.

The manager then stated that Walmart Rollback is clearance, and they don't honour price match for clearance items. I told her that I have never heard of that, and that I came to Toys R Us because I didn't want to have to drive all the way to Bedford (I was in Dartmouth, NS; the Bedford Walmart is another 15 km one way from Toys R Us). Then she tried to tell me that they will only price match the items from the Walmart down the road because that is "same local market area" (apparently 15 km away is not the "same local market area").

After some back and forth, she checked the item in their system, and said that because the $89.97 is not below cost, that she would make an exception and sell it to me for that price. Then she checked again, and told me that she made a mistake and that it is below cost, but since she told me she would sell it to me for $89.97, that she would honour that. So I ended up getting it for the Rollback price.

However, that still leaves me confused. I'm looking at the Walmart website, and I see that they have 3 different kinds of labels: "Reduced Price," "Rollback," and "Clearance." I'm not sure what the difference between Reduced Price and Rollback is, but from my understanding, Clearance is a form of liquidation... as in, they're trying to get rid of stock and aren't going to carry it again. I don't think that Rollback falls under this category.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Is Rollback really a form of "clearance," or was the manager misinformed?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15413 posts
16505 upvotes
Oakville
Managers seem to be able to make up whatever they want. I get the same problem at home depot. Sometimes they match, if they don't want to, they'll say the store is too far, or whatever. Take your business elsewhere is all you can do.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1538 posts
2235 upvotes
For all that hassle you shouldve asked for the 15$ off any 75$ purchases code applied as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4271 posts
2490 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
That's scummy, I'd just order it online from walmart.

Worse case, buy it at TRU and return the online ordered one at TRU when it arrives.

I'm not a big fan of that TRU location, but I use my $5 birthday coupons from R club there. :-)
😱
[OP]
May 24, 2014
201 posts
106 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
KravenHead wrote: For all that hassle you shouldve asked for the 15$ off any 75$ purchases code applied as well.
What, what?! I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything about this. Do you have a link?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4271 posts
2490 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
threehappypenguins wrote:
What, what?! I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything about this. Do you have a link?
It’s only valid on regular price stuff. There is a thread on here. I’ll find it in a minute. They also send out birthday coupons for $15 off $75 too if you join the R Club. My "kids" have a birthday every month. ;-) When you use the coupon in store, they're less likely to read the fine print. It has a bar code and they just scan it.

EDIT: Here -> toys-r-us-15-off-75-purchase-2408242/

R Club -> https://toyrusca.force.com/s/?language=en_US (link is on the bottom of toyrsus.ca)
😱
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15195 posts
12351 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
b0ne wrote: It’s only valid on regular price stuff. There is a thread on here. I’ll find it in a minute. They also send out birthday coupons for $15 off $75 too if you join the R Club. My "kids" have a birthday every month. ;-) When you use the coupon in store, they're less likely to read the fine print. It has a bar code and they just scan it.

EDIT: Here -> toys-r-us-15-off-75-purchase-2408242/

R Club -> https://toyrusca.force.com/s/?language=en_US (link is on the bottom of toyrsus.ca)
Seriously ... you have TWELVE KIDS

Have you no shame ? :facepalm:

Lol, me thinks you should change your user name to b0neR
[OP]
May 24, 2014
201 posts
106 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I finally got a response from Walmart Canada:
We're sincerely sorry for the delay in response. Clearance is a reduction in price to rid of an item that we are no longer going to sell in our store. Rollback is a temporary price reduction. Rollback does not mean clearance as the manager at Toys R Us had informed you.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4205 posts
3138 upvotes
Markham
I believe (but not sure) Rollback is usually a sale that the manufacturer or distributor of an item takes the hit on.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18585 posts
6623 upvotes
Toronto
If it's not in the flyer they don't match I believe. Maybe online but YMMV. But from Walmart since as that.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2978 posts
954 upvotes
Ottawa
From my observations, rollback at Walmart means it's a sale for an indeterminate time that will last longer than a weekly sale.