• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2020 6:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
268 posts
82 upvotes

TP-Link EAP225 - no 5GHz clients?

I have installed a single EAP225 at my home, configured it and all was well for a while and then I noticed my wifi speeds getting slow and sporadic on various devices in the house.
When I looked into the Omada app, I discovered that every single client is connected to the 2.4GHz network and I have zero clients on the 5GHz.
Now, on the TP Link's website, there is a mention of band steering feature on the Omada controller.
However, I only used the app to configure the AP and I don't see any feature for me to force clients to the 5GHz band.
For example, my Amazon FireTV stick is in direct line of sight of the AP and is only maybe 12ft away, yet it does not connect to 5GHz. Strange.

Is there anything I'm missing? And how do I use the band steering with just an app?
Or do I need to install the full controller software to enable that?

Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2692 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
If applicable, update/install the current firmware before configuring your EAP225.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2346 posts
95 upvotes
You need to create the same SSID, Encryption and Password for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Then enable band steering. If everything matches devices will roam between bands accordingly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5498 posts
1083 upvotes
Montreal
Check the channels used on 5Ghz on the EAP. My Firestick 4K couldn't find the 5Ghz band until I used a different channel on my router.
Phils
Apr 29, 2018
553 posts
315 upvotes
I have mine set to two different SSID's. All the SmartHome devices connect to the 2.4GHz, others such as Laptops, phones, etc connect to the 5GHz. Routers are normally not very great at deciding which device should be on what