Lowest price ever per CCC.

THIS KIT CONTAINS 2 SWITCHES. ONLY 1 IS REQUIRED PER 3 WAY CIRCUIT, CONFIRMED
80 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3186 posts
3255 upvotes
Vancouver
Good price. Previous thread when this kit was $49: amazon-ca-kasa-tp-link-3-way-switch-hs2 ... 9-2342689/

It is true that only one of the two switches in a 3-way circuit needs to be smart, but both have to be 3-way switches or you would lose the functionality of being able to use either switch interchangeably.

3-way smart switches are hard to find. Most of the cheap models are regular 2-way. There is a published way to modify the HS200 2-way switch to be 3-way, but it involves opening the case and modifying the switch wiring in a way that is probably not CSA compliant.

TP-Link's switches are widely supported by other home automation services, so it's a good brand to buy. I haven't had any failures of my TP-Link switches, but there are a few minor bugs: the HS200 (2-way) model tends to lose connection a lot compared to the other TP-Link devices, and the Kasa app consistently shows the wrong cumulative on-time for it, telling me things like it has been on for 28 hours of the last 24 (actually more like 10 minutes).
Last edited by Scote64 on Jun 10th, 2020 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jul 5, 2008
469 posts
189 upvotes
Last week in Costco saw a two pack of WiFi Smart dimmer switches for $39.99 made by CE Smart Home.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3146 posts
2954 upvotes
Alberta
Good price, great switches. I have 6 on them running on 6 separate 3-way circuits.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2019
127 posts
171 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: It is true that only one of the two switches in a 3-way circuit needs to be smart, but both have to be 3-way switches or you would lose the functionality of being able to use either switch interchangeably.
Not true in my experience, I have these in 3 and 4 way circuits and in any dumb switch configuration, the smart switch still works with the app, GH/alexa, smartthings and manually as well as reports the correct state to the app, GH and smartthings. These require a neutral wire which can be a pain, but also allows them to continually draw a small amount of current to power the electronics so that they don't lose state.

Edit: thought you said both have to be smart or you lose dumb the ability. You are absolutely right, all switches have to be 3/4 way or your circuit wont work as intended.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3186 posts
3255 upvotes
Vancouver
mybadreligon wrote: Not true in my experience, I have these in 3 and 4 way circuits and in any dumb switch configuration, the smart switch still works with the app, GH/alexa, smartthings and manually as well as reports the correct state to the app, GH and smartthings. These require a neutral wire which can be a pain, but also allows them to continually draw a small amount of current to power the electronics so that they don't lose state.
I think you misread my post. Both switches in a 3-way circuit have to be 3-way switches, but only one of them has to be smart. If one of them is only a 2-way switch, then the other has to remain permanently on.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2019
127 posts
171 upvotes
shadowsteve wrote: Last week in Costco saw a two pack of WiFi Smart dimmer switches for $39.99 made by CE Smart Home.
Not 3 way so wont work in the same application as these. Also from a less reputable brand with less integration opportunity (without flashing tasmota)
[OP]
Jan 13, 2019
127 posts
171 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I think you misread my post. Both switches in a 3-way circuit have to be 3-way switches, but only one of them has to be smart. If one of them is only a 2-way switch, then the other has to remain permanently on.
Yes I did and immediately realized and edited it lol. Thanks for clarifying. That said, if you had a 3 way circuit with a 2 way switch in it prior to adding in the smart switch, it wasn't working as intended before and raises some more questions!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3186 posts
3255 upvotes
Vancouver
Great price for a 3-way switch, but there's an issue that buyers should be aware of. Many of these cheaper-brand switches rely on Tuya Smart Life services, with their own app being a customized version of the Tuya app - not just those CE switches at Costco, but also others like the popular Globe devices sold at CT and The Source for example. That's fine, and you could use either app interchangeably, which also allowed you to use third party services like IFTTT via their Smart Life support. Until the beginning of this month that is, when Tuya refused to pay their fee to IFTTT and IFTTT shut off support. So no more IFTTT support for any of the devices that relied on Tuya Smart Life services.

TP-Link at least continues to pay their IFTTT support fee and has great support with other smart home services.
Apr 7, 2009
260 posts
107 upvotes
toronto
Scote64 wrote: Good price. Previous thread when this kit was $49: amazon-ca-kasa-tp-link-3-way-switch-hs2 ... 9-2342689/

It is true that only one of the two switches in a 3-way circuit needs to be smart, but both have to be 3-way switches or you would lose the functionality of being able to use either switch interchangeably.

3-way smart switches are hard to find. Most of the cheap models are regular 2-way. There is a published way to modify the HS200 2-way switch to be 3-way, but it involves opening the case and modifying the switch wiring in a way that is probably not CSA compliant.

TP-Link's switches are widely supported by other home automation services, so it's a good brand to buy. I haven't had any failures of my TP-Link switches, but there are a few minor bugs: the HS200 (2-way) model tends to lose connection a lot compared to the other TP-Link devices, and the Kasa app consistently shows the wrong cumulative on-time for it, telling me things like it has been on for 28 hours of the last 24 (actually more like 10 minutes).
So, since this has 2 switches, I can use one for my current 3-way setup downstairs and the other for a separate 3-way setup upstairs?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3146 posts
2954 upvotes
Alberta
ngleu wrote: So, since this has 2 switches, I can use one for my current 3-way setup downstairs and the other for a separate 3-way setup upstairs?
Correct. I'm using 6 of these in 6 separate circuits.
Jul 21, 2011
697 posts
309 upvotes
Azkaban
IMO, these integrate better than the costco ones.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)