• Oct 17th, 2020 11:11 pm
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York

TPMS Inspection required and SCBS Inspection required

Hello all,

I have a 2014 CX5 GT with Nav and Tech and it recently threw up a few warning messages. First one is TPMS Inspection required and the other is SCBS Inspection required. It also has the TPMS, TCS and the red exclamation lit. I have attached pics of the dash with the messages. Is there a way to read the codes to find out what part to start looking at (instead of going to the dealer)? I have an ELM ODBC Bluetooth scanner and using Torque light but was unable to read any codes. Is there any recommended software I should use instead? I've see online there is also MotorData OBD and CarScanner anyone have luck reading the Mazda specific codes with either of them? 

Googling says it's either the sensor array on the windshield, wheel speed sensors or break sensor. I've checked the windshield and it's clear of all obstructions. I've also tried to reset the warnings by disconnecting the battery but that did not work. 

Short of going to the dealer, anyone have next steps? 

Thanks!
Images
  • 20200924_204704.jpg
  • 20200924_204706.jpg
11 replies
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
generic bluetooth scanners won't be able to read ABS modules, which is where your problem lies as both the parking brake light and abs light are on. SCBS I looked up, and is smart city brake support, which is clearly affected here and 100% related to whatever is wrong in the ABS system.The first thing that would come to mind is an ABS wheel speed sensor gone bad, which is relatively common and would explain all your issues, less the TPMS, that one I don't see how it's correlated, unless the sensor is incorporated in the ABS module somehow...

Anyways, you need a proper scan, don't have a choice. Either get a proper OBD2 scanner which isn't cheap or go get a scan at an indie shop that has a scanner
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York
Any recommendations on shops in the Scarborough/Markham area?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York
cb8888 wrote: generic bluetooth scanners won't be able to read ABS modules, which is where your problem lies as both the parking brake light and abs light are on. SCBS I looked up, and is smart city brake support, which is clearly affected here and 100% related to whatever is wrong in the ABS system.The first thing that would come to mind is an ABS wheel speed sensor gone bad, which is relatively common and would explain all your issues, less the TPMS, that one I don't see how it's correlated, unless the sensor is incorporated in the ABS module somehow...

Anyways, you need a proper scan, don't have a choice. Either get a proper OBD2 scanner which isn't cheap or go get a scan at an indie shop that has a scanner
Thanks for the info, I do suspect it's a wheel speed sensor. The TPMS system in this vehicle relies on the wheel rotational speed to determine low pressure tire no sensors inside the actual tires.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York
l69norm wrote: There are services on Kijiji where people with high end, shop grade, scanners come to you and read your codes for $20-$75,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-part ... 1525122726

You can also try a Partsource store, however their scanners are likely just the generic type
Thanks for the leads, I just called PartSource and they confirmed they are not doing scans right now due to COVID-19 and that their scan is a generic engine code scan that won't grab codes from the ABS system. I've reached out to the Kijiji ad to see if he can do the scan for me.
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
Riaz wrote: Thanks for the leads, I just called PartSource and they confirmed they are not doing scans right now due to COVID-19 and that their scan is a generic engine code scan that won't grab codes from the ABS system. I've reached out to the Kijiji ad to see if he can do the scan for me.
Maybe someone here has a scanner and would be nice enough to give you a scan... I'd help but mine only works on VW group cars
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4800 posts
2191 upvotes
Ottawa
My Blue Driver reads ABS codes. There are other, OBDII scanners out there and they're worth having - not just because they can pull all your codes but they can tell you if your O2 sensors are failing but still within operating margins, tell you if you're having misfires and in which cylinders, and a host of other things. If it's a wheel speed sensor, it would knock out the TPMS and the ABS systems but you'll need the codes read to tell you which sensor needs to be replaced.

BlueDriver at Amazon.ca
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York
CaptSmethwick wrote: My Blue Driver reads ABS codes. There are other, OBDII scanners out there and they're worth having - not just because they can pull all your codes but they can tell you if your O2 sensors are failing but still within operating margins, tell you if you're having misfires and in which cylinders, and a host of other things. If it's a wheel speed sensor, it would knock out the TPMS and the ABS systems but you'll need the codes read to tell you which sensor needs to be replaced.

BlueDriver at Amazon.ca
Nice! I am going to grab one and see how it goes. Thanks a bunch!
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York
Quick Update on how this played out:

I bought the BlueDriver scanner from Amazon ($120) and it was able to read the codes from the ABS computer. It came up with 6 codes. Notable this one: "C0037-15 Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor : Circuit Short To Battery or Open". I picked up a new sensor from my local dealer ($75) and installed (~30 mins of rust covered grief). Then a re-scan and clear of the codes and I was on my way! @CaptSmethwick Thank You for the suggestion of BlueDriver it saved me much grief. It's a keeper for sure!

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4800 posts
2191 upvotes
Ottawa
Riaz wrote: Quick Update on how this played out:

I bought the BlueDriver scanner from Amazon ($120) and it was able to read the codes from the ABS computer. It came up with 6 codes. Notable this one: "C0037-15 Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor : Circuit Short To Battery or Open". I picked up a new sensor from my local dealer ($75) and installed (~30 mins of rust covered grief). Then a re-scan and clear of the codes and I was on my way! @CaptSmethwick Thank You for the suggestion of BlueDriver it saved me much grief. It's a keeper for sure!

Cheers!
First of all, congratulations! You must be thrilled. I doubt that you'll ever need another scanner so that too is good. And you deserve credit for following advice and circling back to the thread you started. So many people post about issues here and then ignore good advice. You didn't. Good on you.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
567 posts
271 upvotes
North York
CaptSmethwick wrote: First of all, congratulations! You must be thrilled. I doubt that you'll ever need another scanner so that too is good. And you deserve credit for following advice and circling back to the thread you started. So many people post about issues here and then ignore good advice. You didn't. Good on you.
Thanks! I am thrilled. It's only fair that I circle back and give recognition to anyone that pointed me in the right direction. It's always nice to come full circle for the benefit of the community. I posted looking for help, suggestions were provided and acted on them and benefited. Providing the outcome will help build the community and encourage others to help out as well.

Thanks again!