• Dec 24th, 2019 11:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 23, 2014
229 posts
207 upvotes
Outaouais

TPMS question

This might sounds like the stupidest question, but I have bought a car with TPMS on its all-seasons tires and now I want to buy 4 news rims to install winter tires on it.

So i'll have 2 sets of rims (one with all seasons and one with winter tires).

How does the TMPS work? Can it be transferred to the new sets of tires when i change my tires from summer to winter? Or i need to buy a new set of TMPS for the new winter tires?

Thanks

SH
16 replies
Oct 8, 2019
118 posts
64 upvotes
I believe its best to buy a seperate set for winter rims/tires. Can get pretty expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8450 posts
5192 upvotes
Kootenays
We left the TPMS on our summers. We don't use them on our winters. I cover the nag light with a small dime size piece of black electrical tape. With many cars, you would have to recalibrate the receivers at each changeover, which the dealership will charge for. Some cars can store 2 codes.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15457 posts
16568 upvotes
Oakville
SuperHanuman wrote: This might sounds like the stupidest question, but I have bought a car with TPMS on its all-seasons tires and now I want to buy 4 news rims to install winter tires on it.

How does the TMPS work? Can it be transferred to the new sets of tires when i change my tires from summer to winter? Or i need to buy a new set of TMPS for the new winter tires?

Thanks

SH
Depends on the car. Some use sensors on the wheels, some use the ABS sensors on the car. If it's on the car, then you don't have to do anything, you can put any wheels on it and it will work.
Last edited by engineered on Dec 24th, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1145 posts
534 upvotes
When posting a question in the automotive forum, it should be mandatory to provide the year, make and model of the vehicle.
Mar 11, 2019
305 posts
177 upvotes
SuperHanuman wrote: This might sounds like the stupidest question, but I have bought a car with TPMS on its all-seasons tires and now I want to buy 4 news rims to install winter tires on it.

Thanks

SH
You can transfer them but you will have to pay each time.
There may be new TPMS sensors called "clones" you can get that will emulate your existing ones for the new set of rims. That way you won't have to pay the TPMS programming fee each year.
Sep 23, 2011
267 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
There is a company called ATEQ making TPMS reset tools.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3961 posts
4072 upvotes
GTA
Depends on the car. We can't help without that basic information from you.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2014
229 posts
207 upvotes
Outaouais
derass wrote: Depends on the car. We can't help without that basic information from you.
Opps sorry! It's a tiguan 2019!

Thanks
[OP]
Jul 23, 2014
229 posts
207 upvotes
Outaouais
n0thing wrote: When posting a question in the automotive forum, it should be mandatory to provide the year, make and model of the vehicle.
I did say it was a stupid question ... :rolleyes:
Feb 13, 2012
12 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
SuperHanuman wrote: Opps sorry! It's a tiguan 2019!

Thanks
I believe the 2019 Tiguan uses the wheel speed sensors in the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). So there is nothing for you to do once you swap in the winter tires. All you have to do is reset the TPMS on your infortainment system when the light comes on.

I have a 2018 golf, and mine uses the wheel speed sensors in the ABS.
Oct 16, 2019
112 posts
56 upvotes
My winter tires don't have tpms, my mechanic disabled the light for the winter so it doesn't bother me.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2014
229 posts
207 upvotes
Outaouais
spoonspec wrote: I believe the 2019 Tiguan uses the wheel speed sensors in the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). So there is nothing for you to do once you swap in the winter tires. All you have to do is reset the TPMS on your infortainment system when the light comes on.

ah!! that's the answer I was looking for...! Thanks!

SH
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1145 posts
534 upvotes
SuperHanuman wrote: I did say it was a stupid question ... :rolleyes:
No such thing as a stupid question, we just need more info to give you the proper answer.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15457 posts
16568 upvotes
Oakville
spoonspec wrote: I believe the 2019 Tiguan uses the wheel speed sensors in the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). So there is nothing for you to do once you swap in the winter tires. All you have to do is reset the TPMS on your infortainment system when the light comes on.

Probably the same as our 2017 Audi Q5. Uses the ABS sensors so you don't have to do anything when swapping wheel. I didn't even need to do a reset. The car has no idea you swapped wheels, so no reason to need a reset.

For those wondering what the differences between the 2 type are.
- ABS type are cheaper (free), never need resetting or swapping, but they can't give you an actual reading. They sense low tire pressure when 1 wheel is rotating faster than the others. The downside is that it isn't as precise or fast acting to warn you. It also can't detect if all 4 tires are equally deflated, which is unlikely but possible.
- In wheel sensor type are more accurate, and can give you an actual reading. They cost more, require swapping or reprogramming, and are often troublesome with faulty readings. My parents' 350Z was always randomly alerting when it couldn't read a sensor, often in the cold on startup.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1198 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I've gotta reset FTM anytime the winters or summers go on my e90, although that takes all of about 5 seconds. Sure beats TPMS however for ease of use.