Wheels and Tires

TPMS sensors compulsory for winter tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2019 7:17 pm
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
1 posts

TPMS sensors compulsory for winter tires?

I am planning to buy winter tires for 2017 Nissan Altima (TPMS sensor equipped car). Can I skip TPMS in winter tire installation? is there is any problem with that?
2nd thing of course TPMS light will come on dash if I installed winter tires without TPMS. Light will be gone once I am back to all season tires without any reconfiguration from dealership or tire stores?
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5499 posts
1083 upvotes
Montreal
Can you not press a reset button to get rid of the light?
Phils
Nov 10, 2015
224 posts
175 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
No problem at all doing that only thing you will have is your warning light on the dash
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14950 posts
4183 upvotes
London
Some tire shops will refuse to install

https://www.autoserviceworld.com/tire-d ... y-on-tpms/

“Legislation from the federal government says if a vehicle comes in the shop with working TPMS, it must leave with working TPMS. But that does not include winter wheels and winter changeovers,” says Ray Galeta, a member of Tire Dealers Association of Canada (TDAC) board of directors. “That’s where the issue lies.”

Meeting in Toronto last week for its national trade show and conference, TDAC board members agreed it’s time to get the matter resolved once and for all.

They’ve referred the issue to a working committee that will poll regional tire associations and tire shops, develop an industry policy, and then take it to the federal and provincial governments.

“Part of the challenge here is knowing who to talk to on this,” said TDAC executive director Bob Bignell. “In the past, Transport Canada has passed the buck to the provinces, and provincial authorities have sidestepped the question entirely. But we need some clarity here.”

Galeta, who is also the executive director of the Western Canada Tire Dealers Association, said the major tire chains in the west have taken a stance against letting cars leave without working TPMS.

“All the larger organizations are saying that if the vehicle comes in with working TPMS, it has to leave with working TPMS,” he said. “That’s their position and they stick to it fairly stringently. They’ll turn customers away if they have to...........

.......”The big concern, of course, is liability. Talk has swirled around the industry for years about tire shops that have been sued by consumers who refused the installation of TPMS in their winter tires but whose vehicles were subsequently damaged in accidents.

At least one such case, in which an automotive service provider was sued for $6.5 million, was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

“We just don’t know the legalities of the situation,” said Bignell. “Writing a customer’s refusal on the invoice is not really protection for tire shops. So we need real clarity on the issue.”
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3260 posts
3357 upvotes
GTA
Ideally, you should get the TPMS sensors. They make the car safer.

I wonder what "legislation from the federal government" that article is referring to. TPMS isn't required by Transport Canada, and isn't required to be working by the Ontario Vehicle Safety Standards.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4896 posts
2239 upvotes
Mississauga
So we’ve been driving cars on pneumatic tires for over 80 years and all of a sudden it’s no longer safe if you don’t have TPMS?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5499 posts
1083 upvotes
Montreal
derass wrote: Ideally, you should get the TPMS sensors. They make the car safer.

I wonder what "legislation from the federal government" that article is referring to. TPMS isn't required by Transport Canada, and isn't required to be working by the Ontario Vehicle Safety Standards.
Getting a second set of sensors is one thing but registering them to your car apparently can be a challenge. I drive a Prius C and there are all sorts of discussion threads in the Prius forum about the difficulty in registering the sensors to the vehicle. So far I haven't seen a solution about that in any of the threads. Without that, the sensors won't report properly.
Phils
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14950 posts
4183 upvotes
London
mrweather wrote: So we’ve been driving cars on pneumatic tires for over 80 years and all of a sudden it’s no longer safe if you don’t have TPMS?
They didn't have to deal with frivolous lawsuits and liability issues 80 years ago. You can get sued for any reason now and it costs $$$$ to defend.
Nov 29, 2011
882 posts
263 upvotes
Milton
l69norm wrote: They didn't have to deal with frivolous lawsuits and liability issues 80 years ago. You can get sued for any reason now and it costs $$$$ to defend.
Which is an issue entirely separate from safety. Anyone actually just checking their own tire pressure sporadically is as safe as having the sensors.

It's a feature essentially added for people that don't engage in proper maintenance (was it even added because of that SUV rollover issue due to underinflated tires?), and once added, now becomes fodder for lawyers. It was a bandaid fix for the root problem being lazy/ignorant owners.
Oct 1, 2015
519 posts
580 upvotes
Barrie, ON
FTM system in my BMW works just fine, no TPMS required.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3260 posts
3357 upvotes
GTA
mrweather wrote: So we’ve been driving cars on pneumatic tires for over 80 years and all of a sudden it’s no longer safe if you don’t have TPMS?
It's not that it's unsafe to drive without TPMS, it's just more safe.
evosero wrote: Which is an issue entirely separate from safety. Anyone actually just checking their own tire pressure sporadically is as safe as having the sensors.

It's a feature essentially added for people that don't engage in proper maintenance (was it even added because of that SUV rollover issue due to underinflated tires?), and once added, now becomes fodder for lawyers. It was a bandaid fix for the root problem being lazy/ignorant owners.
You can check your tire pressure, and then pick up a nail the second you drive off. Then you jump on the highway for a couple of hours, the tire leaks down, and have a blowout. TPMS would immediately let you know the tire has low pressure, and could prevent the blowout. There's no arguing that TPMS is an added safety feature, it just comes with a price. I would argue that the average driver needs TPMS. I'll bet some drivers have gone their entire life without checking the basics like engine oil and tire pressure. If it's not for their safety, then it's for mine having them not crash into me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5499 posts
1083 upvotes
Montreal
derass,

That's exactly what happened to me about 5 years ago. I picked up a nail from the driveway at work and by the time I got home, my tire was basically flat. Fortunately, I live about 200 meters from a Canadian Tire.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5018 posts
1480 upvotes
GTEH!
What if you purchase winter tire & rims, have them installed & balanced, and take the set home to DIY changeover?
Do you have to inform the shop you have TPMS on your car before the installation?
😎
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6076 posts
1753 upvotes
BC
No, the shop would have proof that they just mounted and balanced the tires on rims without knowledge of what vehicle the customer was going to install them on.
So no legal liability.

We are making this too complicated.
If you want the added safety and are prepared to spend the money, just do it.
If you don't care and/or don't want the added cost, make a suitable arrangement - DIY install, or absolve the tire shop of any perceived liability.
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1754 upvotes
What if I just change the tires and not the wheels? Will the tpms still work without doing anything?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)