• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2019 12:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1209 posts
1336 upvotes

Tpms sensors not compatible with rims

So I bought rims and tires from Costco for my tlx but they don't have tpms for the 2019 tlx. So I had to buy them from Acura. Well the Costco tech called me while installing and apparently the tpms sensors are not compatible with my rims and it leaks air. I didn't even know this was a thing. And apparently if I want it to work I would need to install Acura rims. What a pain.
I think there's a restocking fee for the tpms sensors too if they even refund it sigh.
34 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11164 posts
5562 upvotes
Brampton
It happens.
Rims designed for TPMS usually have a flat collar area on the face so a "nut" can be screwed to the stem to create the seal. Ones that aren't usually have a rounded area
Or just skip the TPMS sensors and live with the light. Or see if there are compatible aftermarket sensors.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32028 posts
17916 upvotes
Ottawa
Did the Acura sales department specifically tell you that the sensors were only compatible with OEM rims?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3260 posts
3357 upvotes
GTA
You just need a TPMS sensors with a snap-in rubber valve stem. Not a thread-in metal one like OEM. Snap-in should work with aftermarket wheels. They're exactly like a standard rubber valve stem just with a transmitter stuck on the end.

Looks like Costco doesn't carry this type. So get them to install the tires without TPMS sensors, then take the car to a different tire shop to install snap-in TPMS sensors.

Obviously discuss the situation with the new shop beforehand to make sure they can do it. But It's really just a matter of whether or not they have snap-in sensors in their inventory, or can get them. It seems that Costco cannot. The installation and programming is no different than any other TPMS sensor.

https://www.schradersensors.com/en/our- ... -ez-sensor
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/produc ... ms-sensors
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1152 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting to know this could happen. I just opted to not have TPMS on my winters
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1209 posts
1336 upvotes
Ya I just opted to not have the sensor at this point but Acura never told me about the fact that you need oem rims for the sensors but I guess they wouldn't have to technically. At this point I'm just going to see if I can return them and see what I can get. Thanks for the info guys.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4151 posts
1875 upvotes
Toronto
Electrah wrote: Interesting to know this could happen. I just opted to not have TPMS on my winters
Omitting the TPMS sensors may affect the electronic drive train and vehicle stability systems in some vehicles.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Mar 9, 2014
850 posts
435 upvotes
Ottawa
ROYinTO wrote: Omitting the TPMS sensors may affect the electronic drive train and vehicle stability systems in some vehicles.
And always do all your oil changes at the dealer or it will void the warranty /s
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32028 posts
17916 upvotes
Ottawa
ROYinTO wrote: Omitting the TPMS sensors may affect the electronic drive train and vehicle stability systems in some vehicles.
On some vehicles it may not allow you to disable traction control, but it's not going to affect the drivetrain whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4051 posts
2998 upvotes
Markham
Such as which vehicles? I’m curious to see a reference for this claim.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4151 posts
1875 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote: Such as which vehicles? I’m curious to see a reference for this claim.
Honda Ridgeline
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/thr ... pms.24703/

Essentially without sensors, the TPMS warning light comes on indicating the error. With the light on VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) is automatically engaged & cannot be disabled by pushing the button in the cabin.

If I understand it right, turning the VSA off allows one to "spin" the wheels. Something one might want to do if they are stuck in the snow/ice.

Info on the VSA system: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pub ... 00296A.pdf#[4,{%22name%22:%22Fit%22}]
Oct 1, 2015
519 posts
580 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Yeah no.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4151 posts
1875 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: On some vehicles it may not allow you to disable traction control, but it's not going to affect the drivetrain whatsoever.
It might be a bad choice of words. Would you consider modifying engine output part of the drivetrain?
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
Why do they even put this stupid feature in vehicles?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32028 posts
17916 upvotes
Ottawa
ROYinTO wrote: It might be a bad choice of words. Would you consider modifying engine output part of the drivetrain?
Now you're just making shit up.lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)