Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6813 posts
1071 upvotes
Ottawa

Tracing an EMT as the receiver

Hi all, I *think* my EMT just vanished into thin air. My bro sent me some $ and apparently it got deposited a week later. I have numerous chequing accounts(yay churning!), but I looked through all of them and don’t see the deposit. I’m sure I deposited in one of my primary 3 accounts but it isn’t there. Is it possible to trace down which account it landed in? I’ve heard of this stuff happening before but I think I need to know which account it went to before I reach out to the bank?
6 replies
Nov 23, 2014
497 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeeva86 wrote: Hi all, I *think* my EMT just vanished into thin air. My bro sent me some $ and apparently it got deposited a week later. I have numerous chequing accounts(yay churning!), but I looked through all of them and don’t see the deposit. I’m sure I deposited in one of my primary 3 accounts but it isn’t there. Is it possible to trace down which account it landed in? I’ve heard of this stuff happening before but I think I need to know which account it went to before I reach out to the bank?
It is possible to trace
But the sender should contact the bank and they can tell the exact date and receiving bank info
Mar 31, 2013
227 posts
942 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
Did you delete the email you received? If not, I would try to redeposit the money. I had that happen once, I think I may not have completed the second step at the bank web site, where you confirm the transaction
Jul 1, 2015
125 posts
47 upvotes
Its possible your email is hacked, or otherwise someone you know accessed your email and intercepted it. Once they collected the info, they could have hard deleted it from your mailbox. I would change your passwords, update your reset question and set up 2FA if available.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4378 posts
2533 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: Hi all, I *think* my EMT just vanished into thin air. My bro sent me some $ and apparently it got deposited a week later. I have numerous chequing accounts(yay churning!), but I looked through all of them and don’t see the deposit. I’m sure I deposited in one of my primary 3 accounts but it isn’t there. Is it possible to trace down which account it landed in? I’ve heard of this stuff happening before but I think I need to know which account it went to before I reach out to the bank?
Did the sender receive an email telling him the transfer was deposited?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6813 posts
1071 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes sender received an email that it got deposited. I’m pretty sure I did deposit it, but I just can’t recall which account I put it in. However, I’ve checked all my accounts and the money isn’t there. I’ve asked the sender to get the details of the target account and hopefully I can follow up with my bank then.

I’ve heard of this happening before. I think it was eq and I could’ve used them so not sure.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6813 posts
1071 upvotes
Ottawa
Update: my sender contacted the bank and they suspect fraud, but I'm skeptical. But they also said they can't trace any info unless there's a police report. That doesn't seem to make sense..I still have the original email to deposit the funds and when I hit the link I get, sorry already deposited etc.
This INTERAC e-Transfer has been deposited. (0002)
What to do now?

Are the funds not in your bank account?

If you are sure you deposited this transfer, please contact your financial institution to investigate.

If you did not deposit this transfer, please ask the sender to contact his/her financial institution and request an investigation to trace the funds.