• Feb 2nd, 2018 11:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2085 posts
507 upvotes
In Hiding

Trade-in Car Appraisal

Hi, APA recommends Autolinks Brampton for my trade-in car appraisal. Has anyone used them? If yes, did you get a fair value from them or did they lowball you? You can PM me if you don't want to comment here. Planning to use this as base price for dealer negotiations.

And no, don't need hassle of selling this on Kijiji as I'm not a haggler.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11560 posts
3821 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on what you have, there are cars that dealership doesn't want to trade in and will give you a tiny amount just to make you sell your car and buy a new car from them.
For example, any manual transmission car is a turn off. Anything that's been modified and not original is a nono. Basically a car that is easier to sell is a good trade in for them. For example, a Camry, accord, corolla, those cars are much easier to sell and get rid of.

But for sure you won't get anywhere close to the market price of your car, it will be at least 25-40% less (depending on what you have)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2085 posts
507 upvotes
In Hiding
Thanks MP3_SKY. So I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla CE with aircon, only driver, good condition. 72,400kms. Black book says between $3800 and $5200. Same model with much higher mileage being sold on Autotrader for $7500. What can I expect? Followed maintenance schedule and services done at dealer. Would I get more trading it in at Toyota or elsewhere? And where can I get the transfer forms to sell privately? I think I'll ask a friend to sell it for me and pay them $1000 if they get over $5000 for it. But will see what Autolinks says as APA recommends them ...
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Thanks MP3_SKY. So I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla CE with aircon, only driver, good condition. 72,400kms. Black book says between $3800 and $5200. Same model with much higher mileage being sold on Autotrader for $7500. What can I expect? Followed maintenance schedule and services done at dealer. Would I get more trading it in at Toyota or elsewhere? And where can I get the transfer forms to sell privately? I think I'll ask a friend to sell it for me and pay them $1000 if they get over $5000 for it. But will see what Autolinks says as APA recommends them ...
Auto trader prices are not actual transaction price and the prices they do get are retail

Trade in you get wholesale , with such an old car, it'll just be sent to auction and you won't get much for it
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
148 upvotes
GTA
Just a reminder on how car dealer games work. They will up the trade in value to make you feel good if they sense that is what you are looking for. But they won’t reduce the price of the new car very much. If they sense you are looking for a bigger discount on a new car they will offer you that but they will not give you a high trade in value. Someone who gets the highest trade in value may not get the best deal.

When negotiating try to get the lowest ‘out the door’ price. Don’t get too hung up on trade in value, new car sale price, or the bull crap fees added on. The only thing that matters is how much do you write a cheque for.
The Duke
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11560 posts
3821 upvotes
Toronto
$1000 is too steep for a $5000 car. I ll give him $500 for it, corolla is not a difficult car to sell.

If you are in ON, just search how to sell a car privately on MTO web site, it will tell you everything you need in detail, I m too lazy to type them all here. Lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1679 posts
1548 upvotes
Toronto
From a trade in perspective, you should be OK at $3500 + HST = $3950

Maybe you could push for a few hundred more assuming it’s in great shape.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15062 posts
2645 upvotes
You should be able to get at least $5500-6000.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22083 posts
2756 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Thanks MP3_SKY. So I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla CE with aircon, only driver, good condition. 72,400kms. Black book says between $3800 and $5200. Same model with much higher mileage being sold on Autotrader for $7500. What can I expect? Followed maintenance schedule and services done at dealer. Would I get more trading it in at Toyota or elsewhere? And where can I get the transfer forms to sell privately? I think I'll ask a friend to sell it for me and pay them $1000 if they get over $5000 for it. But will see what Autolinks says as APA recommends them ...
You don't need a appraiser for something so common and popular :).

Selling that yourself wouldn't be hard at all ........ Wait until the spring and summer then get the exterior and engine bay cleaned up and start your selling at $6500 on AutoTrader, Kijiji and Craigslist.

If you MUST MUST MUST do a appraisal you are looking at ~$500.00 but don't forget the dealership wants a profit too so they will counter and it will be low.

2007... It is likely going to get sent to auction because it's too old to get approved for used car financing