• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 12:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 26, 2019
7 posts

Trade in car at dealership

I will be trading in my car for another used car later this week.

Any tips/advice on what to say or not to say in order to get the most trade in value for my car ?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2306 posts
1882 upvotes
Markham
Basically tell them that the purchase of a new car is dependent on what you can get for your trade-in. A 1988 Ford Tempo is worth nothing, but using that as leverage to get a new car won’t make it suddenly worth $3000. But, if you got a decent trade-in, maybe you can get a small boost depending how bad they want the sale, but I’m taking maybe a couple hundred bucks at most.

The dealer is going to do an inspection and lookup the VIN. If accidented, I suppose if you’ve done work under the table and never reported anything, don’t say that.

End of the day, your car is going to have a “value” and it starts getting lower with stuff they find. So, just be honest.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28485 posts
13817 upvotes
Toronto
depends on how diligent the used car dealer is in appraising your car. In the older days, they will actually have the mechanic do a complete inspection first, just like what it would be for PPI by the potential buyer. If the said dealer does not do this inspection, then he would call around his buddies (wholesaler, auction dealers) to get a value and will probably lower it a bit more to safeguard any contingent issues. It will always be a low ball offer from your perspective point of view but at least you save the hassle and getting the tax credit back for this type of transaction.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
I would wait until negotiations are done on the new car, then bring up the old car trade in so you can keep the transactions separate. Generally speaking you will not win trading in a car, so it's either a bit painful or a lot painful. Selling yourself nets the best money but understandable why some people don't want to be bothered.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
Dannythegreat1 wrote: I will be trading in my car for another used car later this week.

Any tips/advice on what to say or not to say in order to get the most trade in value for my car ?
Look on autotrader for the value of your car in the market place. You wont get that on a trade in but it gives you an idea on what they offer you. If its close accept if not keep negotiating.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1323 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Look on autotrader for the value of your car in the market place. You wont get that on a trade in but it gives you an idea on what they offer you. If its close accept if not keep negotiating.
This but I would also look at what problems your car may have (if any). That obv would bring the value lower.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1829 posts
1827 upvotes
GTA
Do not negotiate on the trade in price. Negotiate on the out the door price of the new car less your trade in. The amount you will write a cheque for. Then compare that amount with different dealers. The highest trade in does mean the best car deal. Dealers play games with fees and no discount off the new car when they sense a higher trade in value will close the deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1627 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
DaveTheDude wrote: Do not negotiate on the trade in price. Negotiate on the out the door price of the new car less your trade in. The amount you will write a cheque for. Then compare that amount with different dealers. The highest trade in does mean the best car deal. Dealers play games with fees and no discount off the new car when they sense a higher trade in value will close the deal.
This exactly.

Focus on the cash price out the door and shop it at different dealers.

Once you're satisfied about the total price of the vehicle + fees and minus your trade, switch it over to finance or lease as you prefer (obviously you will lost any cash rebates).
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13120 posts
1940 upvotes
Toronto
We traded in our 2016 Mercedes CLA45 with about 44,000 kms. We were getting 28k at a used car dealer and 27k at a new car dealer. We ended up trading it in for 27.5k at the new car dealer. They both used VMR Canada to calculate the value. It doesnt really matter what you say about the vehicle. They check the caefax/carproof report and that says everything.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1103 posts
576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
trixstar wrote: We traded in our 2016 Mercedes CLA45 with about 44,000 kms. We were getting 28k at a used car dealer and 27k at a new car dealer. We ended up trading it in for 27.5k at the new car dealer. They both used VMR Canada to calculate the value. It doesnt really matter what you say about the vehicle. They check the caefax/carproof report and that says everything.
Which dealers? interested because I'm looking to trade in one of my cars for another one but want to see around what value I will get back first.I know a few dealers from the past has given my value close to the low end on black book, but just checked VMR Canada and the value seems quite high compared to black book / offer from the dealer I asked.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2113 posts
653 upvotes
What on earth happened there? How did it go from 40400 wholesale value to only a trade in of 27.5k?
Images
  • Screenshot_20190504-213452_Chrome.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13120 posts
1940 upvotes
Toronto
malecoke wrote: What on earth happened there? How did it go from 40400 wholesale value to only a trade in of 27.5k?
Not sure but on Autotrader it's around 36-40k for accident free ones with extra options like agility suspension and sport seats. There was an accident on ours for 2.8k. Rear bumper and light.
Dec 21, 2015
632 posts
287 upvotes
Canada
I'd sell it myself honestly, if you have time and resources to do so.

I sold mine at 2k but dealer suggested to sell it to em for 300 for parts. It was a 05 cr-v with engine light on.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13120 posts
1940 upvotes
Toronto
I was seriously considering selling it myself, but then it's a headache. I tried once in the past with another vehicle and people kept coming to test drive it hard around the corners and gunning it at every light. There are people that just do this for fun. It's not worth the headache. Trading in will give you tax savings so keep that in mind as well.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
287 upvotes
trixstar wrote: ...people kept coming to test drive it hard around the corners and gunning it at every light.
What kind of car were you selling?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12037 posts
6916 upvotes
Markham
trixstar wrote: I was seriously considering selling it myself, but then it's a headache. I tried once in the past with another vehicle and people kept coming to test drive it hard around the corners and gunning it at every light. There are people that just do this for fun. It's not worth the headache. Trading in will give you tax savings so keep that in mind as well.
You could consider getting a value and then canvas family, friends, and co-workers to see if anyone or their friends/family are looking. Best to consider selling for same $ to a student. Make it known that the price is firm and give a deadline to sell.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 10, 2006
594 posts
150 upvotes
Look on AutoTrader and Kijiji what your car is selling for across the country. How does it compare?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13120 posts
1940 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: You could consider getting a value and then canvas family, friends, and co-workers to see if anyone or their friends/family are looking. Best to consider selling for same $ to a student. Make it known that the price is firm and give a deadline to sell.

I did ask around at work, family and friends. Nobody wants to touch an AMG haha. I can understand.
Jan 30, 2013
819 posts
139 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
gr8dlr wrote: You could consider getting a value and then canvas family, friends, and co-workers to see if anyone or their friends/family are looking. Best to consider selling for same $ to a student. Make it known that the price is firm and give a deadline to sell.
if you value family never sell to a family member,when anything goes wrong with the sold car,they will say you purposedly sell them a lemon
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1103 posts
576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
trixstar wrote: people kept coming to test drive it hard around the corners and gunning it at every light.
This is the only worry I have if I want to put my car for sale privately. Either deal with this and possibly sell my car for a more "market value" or trade it in for around $10k under market value.