• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2019 11:59 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 23, 2013
5 posts
1 upvote

Trade in or fix up?

Have a 2010 Mazda 3 GT in excellent condition. It's great, but will probably only see myself driving it for another 2 years. Only thing is I need new rear brakes, probably new front struts, and new winter tires before the snow comes. When summer hits, I will need to replace the all seasons too. I'm quoted 1700 for the brakes and struts, probably 700-800 for the winter tires.

I'm struggling between putting in the $$ to keep it on the road safely for a few years, or trading in for something new. I figure I can get 4.5-5k for trade in now. I would assume way less in two years time.

Advice (ideally not of the "keep driving it for another ten years" variety)?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17319 posts
5223 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why you would need struts. Are you sure? Rear brake job with parts will be $300 with labor. Shop around struts should be cheaper as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12972 posts
13106 upvotes
Oakville
mottyl1 wrote: Have a 2010 Mazda 3 GT in excellent condition. It's great, but will probably only see myself driving it for another 2 years. Only thing is I need new rear brakes, probably new front struts, and new winter tires before the snow comes. When summer hits, I will need to replace the all seasons too. I'm quoted 1700 for the brakes and struts, probably 700-800 for the winter tires.

I'm struggling between putting in the $$ to keep it on the road safely for a few years, or trading in for something new. I figure I can get 4.5-5k for trade in now. I would assume way less in two years time.

Advice (ideally not of the "keep driving it for another ten years" variety)?
Buy from rockauto and DIY your brakes and struts. To sell your car, you'd have to fix the brakes anyways.
Pads can be had for under $60usd, same for rotors if needed.
Struts are probably $60 each. DIY isn't that hard and you can borrow the tools from Partsource.
You'd have to replace the tires as well if you sell them.
If you buy a new car, you'll still need to buy new winter tires, plus you'll take a big hit on the sale/purchase.
Penalty Box
Feb 16, 2013
1008 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Buy from rockauto and DIY your brakes and struts. To sell your car, you'd have to fix the brakes anyways.
Pads can be had for under $60usd, same for rotors if needed.
Struts are probably $60 each. DIY isn't that hard and you can borrow the tools from Partsource.
You'd have to replace the tires as well if you sell them.
If you buy a new car, you'll still need to buy new winter tires, plus you'll take a big hit on the sale/purchase.
This pretty much.
Probably just the shock absorbers are shot. If even that. Your dealer/shop might be taking you for a rinse.
Rockauto sells rear brake kit for 115 bux.

Kyb strut assemblies are 115 a piece.
Kyb cartridges are 60 bux a piece.
Front struts are easy to do.

Personally I would just change the cartridge.
Your not gonna die from using a spring compressor.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4543 posts
2149 upvotes
Toronto
Buy all weather tires and use it year round for next 2 years instead of winter and all season. If and when your strut or spring fails, the car will still be drivable for few days, even few months if you mind the wave your car will do. Brakes, you should do.

All you realistically should be spending right away would be $300 for rear brakes, rotors and pads, $500 for all weather tires.
Jan 16, 2017
29 posts
12 upvotes
If you do decide to do the struts, I would highly recommend Monroe Quick Struts. It is a complete assembly, so no spring compressor involved. Makes installation a breeze. Bought my last set from Amazon for around $150 a side. Took me less than 30-minutes a side to remove the old and install the new. Best part is you get lifetime warranty on ALL components (strut, spring, strut bearing, etc).
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51716 posts
16223 upvotes
Man, my 2011 Accord still drives like 90% new. Did have all four rotors and pads replaced in late 2017. According to iGarage, suspension was still in excellent shape. Only 110k then and now almost 140k.

Maybe check the actual trade in price you will get and decide if it's worth spending money on.

I also went with Monroe complete front struts for my 02 Civic and it feels planted now.

Do you have a car in mind to purchase today, two years from now or four years from today? If not, then get the urgent ones fixed.

Why do you need new tires, age or thinning out? My Civic is still on 14 y. o. XI2 winter tires lol. But it's only driven 7-10k a year.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51716 posts
16223 upvotes
If you are considering BEV, you may want to drive that car a bit longer than two years since more of them coming in a few years time and more used ones to choose from.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5970 posts
677 upvotes
Ottawa
I think suspensions last for a long time. I’m on stock at 260K.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12138 posts
5907 upvotes
Toronto
All weather tires and rock auto parts. I doubt you will need struts although you didn’t list your mileage.
Likely $1500 for all of it
[OP]
Apr 23, 2013
5 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the replies. I'm at 173000km. I spoke to a local independent mechanic today and he put the car on a lift and showed me everything. Rear brakes are at 3mm. One front strut is leaking oil but still functioning. He feels nothing needs to be done until after winter at the earliest and everything else is mint. If I keep it I'll probably do the brakes anyway for peace of mind (quoted $400, way less than Mazda and NAPA quoted me). Also got a few hundred off the price quoted for strut replacement. Both my tire sets are at about 4mm. Blizzaks WS60 have been through 9 winters now and the traction at the end of the last winter was noticeably poor so I'd definitely want those replaced before the snow comes. I could probably squeeze out one more summer on the all seasons (but again, waiting until they're bald will only reduce my trade in value).

I've been shopping around to see what new cars would run me and also what I can get for trade in. The highest I've been offered (today) was $5k towards a 2019 Mazda 3 Sport. Overall I'm pretty happy with my current car but wouldn't mind something new with all the tech stuff.

I was offered $28.3k for 2019 Mazda 3 Sport GT with luxury on the road after trade in.

Still better to do the repairs and keep driving? I worry that when I'm ready to trade in in 2 years my residual value will be zero.
May 27, 2017
182 posts
205 upvotes
I’ll buy the car for $500 cash money baby
Jul 25, 2018
755 posts
1205 upvotes
Milton, ON
Unless you're on the cusp of not being able to afford eating or having a place to live, forget the finances and focus on how you feel about the car. If you're constantly going to be worried about what might break, get rid of it and get something new. If not, keep it and drive it until you start worrying. My two cents.
Jul 19, 2004
962 posts
270 upvotes
Vancouver
Keep driving it, it sounds like the car is in good condition and only wear and tear items need to be replaced. I mean at this point your car value wouldn't change too much even if you keep driving it IMO. To be honest you probably don't even have to do brakes anytime soon, rear brakes lasts quite a while unless your car is the kind to wear the rear brakes faster.