Traditional Dental Implant vs Teeth in a day

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2022 10:25 am
Oct 4, 2010
75 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Traditional Dental Implant vs Teeth in a day

I am in need for a tooth implant for single tooth. I went to see a periodontist and he explained to me the whole process will take about 6-9 months with multiple visits, HIs portion will cost about $3500 but he will not be doing the 'crown' so I still have to go back to my own dentist to get the crown onto the implant and that will likely cost another $1500. He explains about the material and brand that he will be using so I have no problem with it but I am not comfortable with how the whole process needs to be done by two separate dentist.
I read about a 'newer' way to do implants which they call teeth in a day, where they would put a temporary crown in the day they put the implant. They show research about success rate is the same vs traditional way. I am not concern about appearance as the tooth I need implant is at the back but I do like that fact that only one dentist is responsible. I haven't look at cost for this type of implant yet but I would imagine it's about the same as traditional way.
Anyone have experience with either one and can share experience that would be great.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1728 posts
1547 upvotes
Traditional is much more likely to be successful long-term

Same-day implants sound great, but most people would not be suitable for same-day implants (e.g. not enough bone density). And even if eligible, with same-day implants "Patient compliance is vital" to ensure success.

Here's a blog article on pros and cons of same day implants (from a company that makes implants so they are neutral).
https://blog.ddslab.com/pros-and-cons-o ... l-implants

You should not be concerned about two different dentist doing the work. The difficult part requiring more expertise is the implant itself. The crown afterward is simple.

If it's a back tooth, IMO, no reason to go for same-day implants, when traditional is safer.