Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10277 posts
670 upvotes
Mississauga

Traditional Home Phone providers?

My parents can't live without their traditional home phone. I tried a few voip solutions and since they call overseas a lot they complain about the quality.

Both Rogers and Bell want $60+ just for thr home phone.

What other options are out there? I see Primus (through Costco) offers traditional home phone for around $40.

How does Rogers specific Ignite/VOIP compare to traditional?

Thanks
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17078 posts
3328 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers only uses facilitated VoIP.

You'll have to stick with Bell or third party providers that use Bell lines.

I have been using Google Hangouts over wifi to call Germany and it's excellent.

Voice quality on VoIP.ms and freephoneline.ca have always been good for me.
Nov 6, 2014
724 posts
1116 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Go with www.voip.ms. I've been with them for well over 10 years and can't complain about anything. It's voip but excellent quality of service.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Rogers WIRELESS home phone, its about $20 bucks a month, my cumpare has it, its basically a cellphone box that you plug your home phone into, its not voip and has a dialtone and everything plus its cheaper than the regular landline from robbers
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4488 posts
1064 upvotes
- Wireless home phone. Uses regular home phones, including cordless, but plugs into a base that connects to a wireless network. Low cost solution but you're limited to being inside the home.
- Talk and text only wireless BYOP plan. $25-30 depending on your wireless provider of choice. Easy to use any unlocked phone old or new.

For calling overseas I'm assuming they do so from home.
- Calling cards. Very low cost but audio quality isn't great.
- If they have wifi at home then whatever chat app they use that supports voice calls, e.g., Whatsapp, Wechat.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
connects to a "Cellular" network. not wireless like wifi
Hi
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10277 posts
670 upvotes
Mississauga
They've tried both thr wireless home phone's and voip like ooma. Both have a weird echo/delay.

They are on Rogers Home Phone now. Not the ignite since it's the only service they have but they find the quality good.

Would voip.ms or fpl be any better than ooma in terms of quality?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5658 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I got my home phone with Telus down to <$6 a month but doesn't help you back east.

If they use a computer, try Skype? Quality the few times I've used it is very good.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4569 posts
1584 upvotes
Tijuana wrote: My parents can't live without their traditional home phone. I tried a few voip solutions and since they call overseas a lot they complain about the quality.

What other options are out there? I see Primus (through Costco) offers traditional home phone for around $40.

Thanks
THE ONLY TRUE PHONE LINE IS OFFERED BY BELL.

Everyone else is VOIP or some form of internet based.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jun 3, 2007
474 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote: My parents can't live without their traditional home phone. I tried a few voip solutions and since they call overseas a lot they complain about the quality.

Thanks
Fairly sure even Bell is POTS only up to a point, prob voip on their backend as well. I doubt anyone routes analog over copper anymore past the "last mile" ($$$). Nothing is perfect, echo is still going to happen at times no matter what.
That said, voip.ms is my reco as well - been a user for over a decade, few to no issues. Also, used to call s.e.asia a lot, no problems. Nowadays, I just tend to use signal/whatsapp/duo what-have-you.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2741 posts
790 upvotes
Voip is only bad when you go cheap and have no control over the codec or routing. Even Bell is actually VOIP once your call goes beyond the local switch.
You need to use Voip.ms and set it to use a high quality codec like G.711 and also pay for the premium routing. Every link in the chain is going to affect your
voice quality.
Dec 22, 2007
690 posts
343 upvotes
Mississauga
Tijuana wrote: They've tried both thr wireless home phone's and voip like ooma. Both have a weird echo/delay.

They are on Rogers Home Phone now. Not the ignite since it's the only service they have but they find the quality good.

Would voip.ms or fpl be any better than ooma in terms of quality?
I would say have the try it before cancelling the current one. may cost a bit to try as you need an ata but at least you won't need to deal with switching back and stuff.
my parents on on ignite home phone and had no complaints. Were on FPL but the one thing that made them switch was the mandatory voicemail on FPL and no way to turn it off.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1373 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
I've used voip.ms for home phone for close to 10 years - it's a fantastic service. I don't call overseas much but when I do it's been excellent. I've also called back to Canada from my voip.ms account while on vacation and had good experiences.

Poor voip call quality can often be fixed by "tuning" your ATA (if possible with your service).

OP, have you thought about 911?
My mom is on a Bell POTS line for the 911 service. Voip only offers e911 and I don't think Rogers Wireless home phone has traditional 911 either.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10277 posts
670 upvotes
Mississauga
If I get something like the HT801, do I still have to pay for the unlock key from voip.ms?

Am I able to make changes to the configuration file remotely?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17078 posts
3328 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote: If I get something like the HT801, do I still have to pay for the unlock key from voip.ms?

Am I able to make changes to the configuration file remotely?
There is no unlock key like freephoneline.ca. You use your username and password to set up the voip adapter.

You can make changes from the Voip.ms website.