• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 9:47 am
[OP]
Dec 13, 2005
55 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

Traffic ticket question!

Received a Drive Motor Vehicle - Use Handheld Device. (Trial date mid May)

Requested Disclose and just received a letter stating I will receive a new trial date in the mail eventually due to COVID-19. It also has an offer from the prosecutor to plead guilty to: Unsafe Move- Lane or Shoulder - 3 Demerit Points and a fine of $400. Also states, this lesser charge does not carry the automatic 3-day suspension, license reinstatement fee and min $500 fine the original offense comes with if conviction is registered at trial.

Question, besides waiving the suspension, is this lesser charge essentially the same thing in regards to my record/insurance? Will I take a big hit on this? I'm wondering if I Should bother fighting the original charge, or just take this offer....
Share:
4 replies
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1236 upvotes
Milton, ON
How about stop using your phone while driving before you kill someone? Be thankful you're getting any offer at all.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2005
55 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
JoelK22976 wrote: How about stop using your phone while driving before you kill someone? Be thankful you're getting any offer at all.
How about you stop assuming things? Be thankful you have a platform where you can help and be helped by others. No need for your ignorant comments.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11298 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
To the insurance a ticket is a ticket is a ticket generally. So yes you will likely take a hit on this but possibly not as bad as a cell phone ticket. The only time I have seen the insurance not care to much for a ticket is if it was a very minor one such as speeding 5-10km over & if you dont change insurance companies they may not do anything.

If you were actually not using your phone at this time and can prove it some how then fight it. If you have not proof then you wont get far.
0_o
<_<
>_>
May 28, 2012
11229 posts
3436 upvotes
Saskatoon
Next time post your question in the main ticket thread.