None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3345 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Trailer hitch for 2010 Subaru outback

I want my wife to be able to load the bikes onto the car too so rooftop bike carriers are out of the question.

Where does one go to get a trailer hitch? Subaru dealer says they can install one on my 2010 outback for $500. Specifically looking in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2645 posts
863 upvotes
$500? wow, what a joke... unless the hitch is worth $400 (which it may be)... check out this video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV29CfEk8Bs

I guess if the dealer has a 1hour min charge and they charge $100... otherwise installing this should cost like $50 tops, but of course the dealership is there to take as much advantage as possible of your wallet.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14039 posts
8130 upvotes
Toronto
U-Haul, the install fee is like $40 or less when you buy their hitch
Jan 17, 2016
75 posts
24 upvotes
Ont
I got a hitch installed for $300 cash 2 years ago on my moms Legacy. Depending on the hitch, $500 might be priced right but I would shop around as the dealer wil just outsource it and add $150 for fun. I went a shop dedicated to truck accessories instead of uhaul for the install.
Oct 28, 2007
248 posts
57 upvotes
Belleville, ON
Check out Canadian Hitches - they're down in Cambridge: http://www.canadianhitches.ca/search.ph ... ..&x=0&y=0

They also price match, so PM against Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/122903-Class-Trai ... urt+122903

Then find a local shop to install. At ~$192 for the hitch and ~ $100 for the install (depending on the shop's hourly rate), you'll be at around $300.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2879 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
macquanski wrote: Check out Canadian Hitches - they're down in Cambridge: http://www.canadianhitches.ca/search.ph ... ..&x=0&y=0

They also price match, so PM against Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/122903-Class-Trai ... urt+122903

Then find a local shop to install. At ~$192 for the hitch and ~ $100 for the install (depending on the shop's hourly rate), you'll be at around $300.
I've used CanadianHitches before, smooth transaction.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3345 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Thanks all

uhaul class 3 round tube hitch is $140. $35 wiring kit. $21 wiring install. $56 install. $10 online discount. That's $242 or $273 with tax.

is the Curt brand one really that much better for someone who doesn't actually plan on towing?

I don't ever plan on pulling a real trailer. Should i skip getting the electrical kit installed or is this something that is much easier done when first installing the hitch? On the slim chance i do want to pull something sometime?

And does anyone have a shop in the KW area to recommend if i go with canadianhitches? I'm still looking for a shop that someone has good things to say about.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For a bike carrier hitch, what kind of hitch would you need to get? Is there a difference in they way/price they install it if it's just carrying bikes?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35630 posts
21688 upvotes
Center of Universe
Wait until you start looking for a hitch carrier for the bike...it's going to be more than your install.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3345 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
foodyforlife wrote: For a bike carrier hitch, what kind of hitch would you need to get? Is there a difference in they way/price they install it if it's just carrying bikes?
Apparently Class 2 hitch is good enough for 4 bikes. a Class 1 hitch they only recommend 2 bike carriers. I can't even find a class 1 hitch for the outback. seems to be 2 or higher so no issues there.
vkizzle wrote: Wait until you start looking for a hitch carrier for the bike...it's going to be more than your install.
yep. i want a 3 bike carrier (which really means 4). and i like the ones that tilt away from the door so you can still access your trunk without needing to remove the hitch. If i go Thule it's in the $350 or more range for the carrier. sigh. Damn family. :-)
Oct 28, 2007
248 posts
57 upvotes
Belleville, ON
Kevinck wrote: Thanks all

uhaul class 3 round tube hitch is $140. $35 wiring kit. $21 wiring install. $56 install. $10 online discount. That's $242 or $273 with tax.

is the Curt brand one really that much better for someone who doesn't actually plan on towing?

I don't ever plan on pulling a real trailer. Should i skip getting the electrical kit installed or is this something that is much easier done when first installing the hitch? On the slim chance i do want to pull something sometime?

And does anyone have a shop in the KW area to recommend if i go with canadianhitches? I'm still looking for a shop that someone has good things to say about.
The only reason I would pick the Curt is that the cross member is welded to the side frame plates, and enclosed so that no crap gets inside the cross member and encourage rusting. The uHaul hitch is likely manufactured by Cequent and has multiple brands like Hidden Hitch, Resse, Draw Tite, etc. If the open cross member isn't a concern for you, then the uHaul hitch will be fine and as it's a class III with a 2" receiver, it will meet your needs. The install instructions mention having to drill two access holes in the Subuaru frame to allow access for the fastening hardware -- I'd opt for uHaul to install the hitch rather than DIY. I'd also opt for their $5 lifetime warranty.

Check out this bike carrier from MEC - it carries 4 bikes, and swings them to the side when you need to raise the tailgate: http://www.mec.ca/product/5043-074/spor ... 0002+50258
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Your $500 price quote may be for the hitch, wiring harness and install. If you have no interest in towing, ask for a quote just for the hitch and install, will cut down the cost and labour significantly.
Feb 25, 2015
915 posts
1120 upvotes
NB
I have a Torklift hitch on my Outback. It is excellent - fits completely inside the bumper, except the receiver. And unlike the Subaru hitch, it doesn't protrude beyond the bumper (they call the OEM hitch "shin buster" for a reason).

Torklift is quite a bit more expensive though: around $250 US shipped to the border. Installation is an afternoon DYI project. Well worth it. There is a way to install the hitch without drilling: you take the bumper off and place the mounting hardware inside the beams from the open end.

Pair it with a Kuat platform rack.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3345 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
So i noticed this in the installation instructions of the Curt hitches (class 2 and class 3).
"WARNING: ALL NON-TRAILER LOADS APPLIED TO THIS PRODUCT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY AUXILIARY STABILIZING STRAPS"
and i got a quote from u-haul for their class 3 which has a similar line...
"WARNING All nontrailer loads (bike rack cargo carrier etc) used with this hitch must be supported by auxiliary stabilizing straps. Part number 18050."

One of the big appeals of the trailer hitch bike rack was to get away from straps connecting to the car.

Is this an un-mentioned thing for all trailer hitch bike racks? I've now watched many many video reviews of bike racks and not once have they mentioned these extra straps.

Or is this something that is specific to the subaru outback 2010?