• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 9:18 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes

Trailer Hitch Installation in GTA

Hello

I am planning to install a hitch for my car (2016 BMW X3) mostly for bike racks, so no wiring needed.

Does anyone know of a good and inexpensive place in GTA to get it installed.

Uhaul seems to have the best price ($440 at the Etobicoke location) for parts and labour, and rack attack and hitch city were quoting a much higher price. Does anyone has any first hand experience on getting the installation at the Uhaul Etobicoke location?

Thanks a lot
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5631 posts
104 upvotes
We bought and had it installed at the Pickering U-Haul as that was the closet location with the our hitch available. It took longer to install then expected due to our diesel SUV, but we came out happy in the end. They were very professional and had a great attitude even though it was their first time installing it on the ML350... U-Haul is going to be the cheapest place around.

edit - it took them close to 5 hours to install.
Last edited by ben_liu on Sep 15th, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6534 posts
4076 upvotes
Toronto
Seems reasonable for $200 hitch and 1.5 hr of their time.

But if buy the hitch and diy, you can save few hundred dollars.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes
ben_liu wrote: We bought and had it installed at the Pickering U-Haul as that was the closet location with the our hitch available. It took longer to install then expected due to our diesel SUV, but we came out happy in the end. They were very professional and had a great attitude even though it was their first time installing it on the ML350... U-Haul is going to be the cheapest place around.

Wow, 5 hours is a bit long, does it usually take that long or is it just because it was their first time on the ML350?

peteryorkuca wrote: Seems reasonable for $200 hitch and 1.5 hr of their time.

But if buy the hitch and diy, you can save few hundred dollars.
I know, but just being busy at work lately, so I rather pay someone to get it installed.....
Nov 27, 2014
54 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP , did you installed hitch? From where and how much cost? I'm thinking for my Elantra and seeing closest uhaul offering for 427 included taxes..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1436 upvotes
I've done my own, some cars are super simple. Especially suv,'s.

2016 pilot
2021 atlas

Done both with just crawling under the rear
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8516 posts
831 upvotes
Scarborough
I did my 2016 RAV in less an hour. Make sure you torque the mounting screws.
Jun 2, 2009
282 posts
98 upvotes
on the X3 you have to undo the fender flares, bumper, crash beam, tail lights. Also have to trim the undertray so the hitch can hang out of the bottom (was not difficult.. but that's permanent.)

I had trouble with the plastic rivets on the way back as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3118 posts
1460 upvotes
I’d also double check to see the condition of your mounting holes as well. Installing a hitch is usually an easy job…until our good old friend, rust is involved.
Jan 20, 2003
217 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I have received excellent service and impartial advice re: towing from staff at Hitch City in Mississauga. If I ever need a hitch installed, I'd go there first.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8109 posts
3900 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
CensoredByRFD wrote: I’d also double check to see the condition of your mounting holes as well. Installing a hitch is usually an easy job…until our good old friend, rust is involved.
Installed a hitch in a then-10/11 y.o. Toyota Corolla that lived in a fairly-humid environment. Thankfully the town that I was in had a tool shop that has the tap I needed in a single package.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5068 posts
4759 upvotes
GTA
ben_liu wrote: We bought and had it installed at the Pickering U-Haul as that was the closet location with the our hitch available. It took longer to install then expected due to our diesel SUV, but we came out happy in the end. They were very professional and had a great attitude even though it was their first time installing it on the ML350... U-Haul is going to be the cheapest place around.

You are brave taking your ML350 to Uhaul that never installed hitch on car like yours Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. I wonder if they drilled holes in trunk floor and used nuts and washers from top. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes 5 hours is crazy long, but maybe they were taking notes for future installs.
Jul 20, 2012
740 posts
308 upvotes
Guelph
I used a place years ago called Safe-Pull Trailer Hitches on Toryork Dr. in North York. A co-worker used him a few times, and he suggested the place to me. I was happy with their work.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3118 posts
1460 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Installed a hitch in a then-10/11 y.o. Toyota Corolla that lived in a fairly-humid environment. Thankfully the town that I was in had a tool shop that has the tap I needed in a single package.
Definitely need a tap. If you can borrow one, then it’s all good. If not, a larger tap can cost a good bit and it may be easier to bring it to a shop to throw on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)