Home & Garden

Train tracks Dundas and Royal york noise??

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 5:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
1 posts
Toronto

Train tracks Dundas and Royal york noise??

Hello,

Looking at a house at Dundas and royal york area. The house literally backs right onto the tracks. Anyone live in the area and have any knowledge of the train, I believe it is CP. it’s a good price but if I’m listening to loud trains and house shaking all day not really worth it.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16501 posts
18057 upvotes
Oakville
I had friends that backed onto the tracks. It sure was noisy when a train passed. Usually it's during the day (8am-10pm) I think but you'll probably want to check the schedule. One other thing to thing of other than noise is the pollution from the diesel engines and the low chance of a derailment. Consider the huge disaster in Lac Megantic or the derailment in Mississauga back around 1980 (I think), where people had to evacuate the area due to the chlorine tanks leaking.

You just have to consider if you will mind the noise of the trains. Just hang out there and see how it is when a train passes.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 7, 2006
580 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
I almost bought a townhouse at Dufferin and king, which has a rail corridor at the end of the block. I did a few viewings of the place during rush hour and can't really hear the Go train even outside, not sure if freight trains use that line. The street cars however were pretty loud, likely due to older tracks and trains (this is before the new models started to show up).
Apr 8, 2013
137 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
You'll quickly get used to the trains. It's a small price to pay for living in one of the nicer areas of the city. The neighborhood is otherwise very quiet. My only concern would be the high voltage power lines that run beside the tracks. I believe that there are restrictions on transporting hazardous substances via rail in cities such as Toronto.