Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa

Transat To Lay Off Thousands

Not looking good for Transat in either direction.

Transat To Lay Off Thousands By 2021 If There’s No Help For Airlines

Air Canada's takeover deal appears uncertain as revenues plummet.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tra ... 8507ff5cf4
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
100 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8987 posts
10414 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't know how this airline stayed in business so long, at least here in Vancouver. Any time I've looked at flights to Europe from YVR for the last 20 years, I've always found better deals on KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss Air, or British Airways. Never flown Air Transat even once. Too expensive.
Jul 30, 2015
647 posts
521 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I don't know how this airline stayed in business so long, at least here in Vancouver. Any time I've looked at flights to Europe from YVR for the last 20 years, I've always found better deals on KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss Air, or British Airways. Never flown Air Transat even once. Too expensive.
YVR... they are very strong out of Quebec and Ontario, thats why.

Thats old news... these employees were already laid off, well, on CEWS. Once CEWS stops, they will get laid off ''once again'' and go on EI. Basically like Air Canada, Sunwing, Westjet, Porter, Sky Regional, Jazz, etc.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
For CEWS the employee still needs to be employed (as in getting a pay deposit) from the employer.
Aug 3, 2017
526 posts
353 upvotes
I travel frequently for work and pleasure (50-75 flight segments a year for the last 15 years) and I haven't been on a TS plane since 2004 on a charter so perhaps I don't see TS like @Latitude57, but I see their model being far different than WS/AC, Porter, Sky Regional or Jazz. I compare them to Sunwing and to some extent Rouge and perhaps Swoop, though I'm not sure yet what the Swoop model is.

I'm not sure how TS/Sunwing/Rouge survive the pandemic. I can't see more than a very smart percentage of their traffic returning until at least the medium term. If I was betting right now, there will be very little winter vacation flying this year and I doubt there will be much summer europe flying next year either. As a result, I find myself asking the question can these carriers carry the debt and time required to essentially be start up airlines again going into the winter 2022 season? If they can, do their investors see that as a good use of capital?

Air Canada very swiftly decided to essentially close down Rouge in everything but name for the next 2-4 years by retiring the entire widebody fleet and some of the narrowbody fleet. They are assuming, likely quite likely, that "normal" traffic won't return for a long time and will instead focus on their core business and main routes to ensure they are filled and hopefully profitable as soon as possible.

TS/Rouge/Sunwing just don't carry oil workers across Canada or technicians for medical equipment from the US to Toronto, nor do they do medical travel from smaller communities to main centers across Canada. At least WS, AC, 5T/7F have this ability to at least fly enough to keep the lights on, keep pilots trained, etc. WS/AC are also benefiting to some extent from the Max8 grounding.

Overall, the industry is going to be far slimmer in the medium term and I doubt everyone survives.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17703 posts
1241 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Did people really think the Airline/Travel industry would make it through COVID unscathed?
Jul 30, 2015
647 posts
521 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: For CEWS the employee still needs to be employed (as in getting a pay deposit) from the employer.
Yes. But they got their layoff notice back in March or April depending on the airline, but when the gov created the program, they got ‘’recalled’’. Tens of thousands of airline workers are on CEWS with a layoff notice from March/April already. Once CEWS stops, they are once again laid off. But if you ask me, 847$ a week on CEWS, inactive, is basically laid off...

It’s playing with words, tens of thousands of workers in the sector lost their jobs months ago already.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Latitude57 wrote: Yes. But they got their layoff notice back in March or April depending on the airline, but when the gov created the program, they got ‘’recalled’’. Tens of thousands of airline workers are on CEWS with a layoff notice from March/April already. Once CEWS stops, they are once again laid off. But if you ask me, 847$ a week on CEWS, inactive, is basically laid off...
From what I understand of CEWS, the government matches the employer portion a certain percentage up to a maximum of $847/week. So based on that, some of the money needs to come out of the airline's budget.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1112 posts
193 upvotes
AC is next soon with more cuts. Still have hundreds in YYZ with no work, and CEWS ended for them Aug 30. Can't really cry to the public when you're still paying way too many to stand around for 8 hours a day.
Apr 8, 2020
250 posts
126 upvotes
It's not over yet , WJ is laying off more in Toronto next month
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
Ofcourse, this whole 14 day quarantine is jyst killing the airlines and travel industry. Keep it up and maybe they all will go bankrupt.
Is this what the powers that control world want?? Make thousands more unemployed

What about the ripple effects of layoffs on everything related??
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4344 posts
3873 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Ofcourse, this whole 14 day quarantine is jyst killing the airlines and travel industry. Keep it up and maybe they all will go bankrupt.
Is this what the powers that control world want?? Make thousands more unemployed

What I've been saying since July. House arrest needs to end September 30. No more extensions.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17703 posts
1241 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
apnayloags wrote: Ofcourse, this whole 14 day quarantine is jyst killing the airlines and travel industry. Keep it up and maybe they all will go bankrupt.

Will you make up your mind already? In the OT forum, you seem to take COVID seriously enough that you are interested in an exit plan from Canada ... and yet you want Canada to remove the 14-day quarantine? Are you confused?

apnayloags wrote: Do you all have an exit plan from canada??
Thats the main question
Feb 14, 2008
99 posts
79 upvotes
Calgary
tripwire wrote: The alternative is to open the skies and let them fly in hundreds of fresh Covid cases weekly. That's not really a responsible option is it? They just started flying to Dehli again, and guess what's coming in on those flights?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... #wb-auto-6
Basically every international flight that arrives these days is FULL of passengers just waiting to get off and cough and sneeze on anyone in sight. Keep the borders closed!