• Oct 20th, 2020 9:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: Yes. But they got their layoff notice back in March or April depending on the airline, but when the gov created the program, they got ‘’recalled’’. Tens of thousands of airline workers are on CEWS with a layoff notice from March/April already. Once CEWS stops, they are once again laid off. But if you ask me, 847$ a week on CEWS, inactive, is basically laid off...

It’s playing with words, tens of thousands of workers in the sector lost their jobs months ago already.
$847 per week from CEWS matched by the airline gives a guy about $6600 per month...seems pretty good to me?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jul 30, 2015
649 posts
525 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: $847 per week from CEWS matched by the airline gives a guy about $6600 per month...seems pretty good to me?
It’s not matched. 847$ a week thats all they get, for the ones that are inactives.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: It’s not matched. 847$ a week thats all they get, for the ones that are inactives.
Not sure how it works but I don't think the government is paying all the wage for workers. I think the company has to cough up some money too. $3300 a month is a pretty good wage even if they are paying it all. More than minimum wage for sure.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1112 posts
198 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Not sure how it works but I don't think the government is paying all the wage for workers. I think the company has to cough up some money too. $3300 a month is a pretty good wage even if they are paying it all. More than minimum wage for sure.
CEWS pays up to the limit that was posted, and it's up to companies to pay the rest. Many active Air Canada employees are being payed in this fashion. That's why with CEWS ending for AC, you will see many more layoffs soon. Company can't keep paying many to stand around while losing millions a day.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
tripwire wrote: CEWS pays up to the limit that was posted, and it's up to companies to pay the rest. Many active Air Canada employees are being payed in this fashion. That's why with CEWS ending for AC, you will see many more layoffs soon. Company can't keep paying many to stand around while losing millions a day.
So my initial thought was correct, the company pays them too and it is not that they only get $847 per week.
Jul 30, 2015
649 posts
525 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: So my initial thought was correct, the company pays them too and it is not that they only get $847 per week.
Right for AC employees, but Jazz, Sky Reg, Air transat, Sunwing, Porter, Westjet employees that are ''laid off'' are paid 847$ a week only, which is what the gov gives. The airline itself doesnt have to pay the difference. Some airline employees do get group insurances and other stuff which is paid by the employer, while being on CEWS at 847$ only BUT the salary itself is 847$ a week (if their regular salary is 55K or more)

AC employees (some group, such as FAs and pilots) are paid their regular salary(cews from gov, difference paid by AC) until they are laid off, of which they will go on EI. Problem with AC is, they cant pay their ''laid off'' employees 847$ alone, they have to pay for pension plan and stuff which is too expensive for the company. Therefore, they go on EI instead of CEWS at 847$ only. Some friends at AC lost their job back in March, some others in June, next lay off date is end of september.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1112 posts
198 upvotes
AC employees that were at home only got the $847 until recalled to active status. They just recalled even more back to work, Above and Below The Wing, as CEWS ended. Nobody knows why since there really is very little work for most. Only AC knows
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: Right for AC employees, but Jazz, Sky Reg, Air transat, Sunwing, Porter, Westjet employees that are ''laid off'' are paid 847$ a week only, which is what the gov gives. The airline itself doesnt have to pay the difference. Some airline employees do get group insurances and other stuff which is paid by the employer, while being on CEWS at 847$ only BUT the salary itself is 847$ a week (if their regular salary is 55K or more)

AC employees (some group, such as FAs and pilots) are paid their regular salary(cews from gov, difference paid by AC) until they are laid off, of which they will go on EI. Problem with AC is, they cant pay their ''laid off'' employees 847$ alone, they have to pay for pension plan and stuff which is too expensive for the company. Therefore, they go on EI instead of CEWS at 847$ only. Some friends at AC lost their job back in March, some others in June, next lay off date is end of september.
tripwire wrote: AC employees that were at home only got the $847 until recalled to active status. They just recalled even more back to work, Above and Below The Wing, as CEWS ended. Nobody knows why since there really is very little work for most. Only AC knows
Sounds like EI with a different name.

Retaining qualified people is a difficult thing. Probably hired them back to make sure they had them when things get flying again.
Apr 25, 2020
120 posts
31 upvotes
More unemployed. Let's pray this pandemic will be over soon and be responsible enough in doing our part to stop the spread.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1112 posts
198 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Sounds like EI with a different name.

Retaining qualified people is a difficult thing. Probably hired them back to make sure they had them when things get flying again.
Nothing will get going this year. Only a madman would open the skies.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
tripwire wrote: Nothing will get going this year. Only a madman would open the skies.
Actually, lots of flying going on. Yes, not like it was before the pandemc but there are still a lot of flights.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3672 posts
2914 upvotes
tripwire wrote: Nothing will get going this year. Only a madman would open the skies.
well, lots (though I think still a minority, but very vocal ones!) are really yelling for the borders to be open and/or remove self isolation requirements and as time passes on, more people are thinking it's not a big deal and that they want to travel and not be subject to any self isolation requirements on return and that we should open up the country to "save" the economy
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1112 posts
198 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Actually, lots of flying going on. Yes, not like it was before the pandemc but there are still a lot of flights.
I know, but 15 to 20 percent of the norm. Even with that, dozens of fresh Covid cases weekly.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1112 posts
198 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: well, lots (though I think still a minority, but very vocal ones!) are really yelling for the borders to be open and/or remove self isolation requirements and as time passes on, more people are thinking it's not a big deal and that they want to travel and not be subject to any self isolation requirements on return and that we should open up the country to "save" the economy
If they get their wish, then nobody, including the Government, should cry when numbers spike to the levels they were before. You can't have it both ways. Close it and let it burn out with no new cases arriving, or open it up and let the party begin, but make sure the Hospitals are ready.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
StatsGuy wrote: well, lots (though I think still a minority, but very vocal ones!) are really yelling for the borders to be open and/or remove self isolation requirements and as time passes on, more people are thinking it's not a big deal and that they want to travel and not be subject to any self isolation requirements on return and that we should open up the country to "save" the economy
Funny, I think the "lock everything" authoritarians are the loud ones.
If you think all these closures and restrictions won't have an economic impact for EVERYONE in the future, you'll be in for a nice surprise.
Or maybe you don't care since the debt and pain will be passed to future generations. Anything to keep YOU safe, right? Who cares about the cost?