Transat To Lay Off Thousands

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 9:25 am
Tags:
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4357 posts
3883 upvotes
Transat (and also Porter) might as well go bankrupt and shut down for good. Not because of any opinion I have of them, but because there's no end in sight. No different from the closure of buffet restaurants, they can't just keep paying rent/expenses with no light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada- ... -1.5106408
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Apr 8, 2020
250 posts
126 upvotes
So cad us border closed for another month (I bet it will not opens this year)
everybody in the industry (including airport support) is/was keeping fingers crossed for it to open soon as the last chance of survival Disappointed Face
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
The new CRB will only be 400 per week so thats barely not even rent money. And they said its last 26 weeks.
What’s gonna happen to these people? Where will the jobs come from now?
The few planes that come in are holding some airport jobs, if they stop coming in there will be more layoffs which will be permanent

Restrictions and lockdowns in 2nd wave will be the end of G8 economies. How will people have enough for food and shelter which costs a lot more than 1600 per month!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4286 posts
946 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: The new CRB will only be 400 per week so thats barely not even rent money. And they said its last 26 weeks.
What’s gonna happen to these people? Where will the jobs come from now?
The few planes that come in are holding some airport jobs, if they stop coming in there will be more layoffs which will be permanent

Restrictions and lockdowns in 2nd wave will be the end of G8 economies. How will people have enough for food and shelter which costs a lot more than 1600 per month!
JT has a green plan in the works to restart the economy . Look how well it worked in Ontario . What could go wrong ?
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17710 posts
1249 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
reefer123 wrote: So cad us border closed for another month (I bet it will not opens this year)
everybody in the industry (including airport support) is/was keeping fingers crossed for it to open soon as the last chance of survival Disappointed Face
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada ... -1.5722974
A new poll by pollster Research Co. found that out of 1,000 Canadians surveyed online at the end of August, a whopping 90 per cent agreed with the current Canada-U.S. border closure to non-essential traffic.
Literally the only people, on ANY form of social media, who seem to want the border opened, are on this RFD forum.

It's called "astroturfing", folks.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
konfusion666 wrote: Literally the only people, on ANY form of social media, who seem to want the border opened, are on this RFD forum.

It's called "astroturfing", folks.
That’s what happens when the media manages to terrify people using a virus with a 1.4% infection fatality rate.
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 24th, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17710 posts
1249 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
reefer123 wrote: Are you suggesting that I want the border open ?
Your post makes it seem like you're one of the airport workers who wants the border opened pronto.
Apr 8, 2020
250 posts
126 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: Your post makes it seem like you're one of the airport workers who wants the border opened pronto.
Yes I want this virus to go away "pronto" and have everything open !

About the border I was the one of 1st to cry "close the borders and masks on !"
Can not stand that quack Tam
Sep 14, 2020
126 posts
65 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Ofcourse, this whole 14 day quarantine is jyst killing the airlines and travel industry. Keep it up and maybe they all will go bankrupt.
Is this what the powers that control world want?? Make thousands more unemployed

What about the ripple effects of layoffs on everything related??
What's funny is that my local supermarkets (costco, RCSS, walmart) reverted back to pre-covid layout and rules, with only RCSS and walmart requesting you to wear a mask.

That's it. No crowd management (x number of people inside), no pathways. Even costco reverted back to the original layout. No queue anymore to any checkouts, nothing.

So what did the mass lockdown acomplish? Nothing, other than a delayed infection rate, with hospitals being empty and "ready" for covid for several months. But it bankrupted a ton of companies and jobs lost.

Canada doesn't do any green list from countries with low infection, just mass 14 day quarantine for anyone. I don't have stats but I'm sure even if there was no quarantine upon return, over 90% of infection would be from within community, not traveling.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1078 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Me262A1 wrote: What's funny is that my local supermarkets (costco, RCSS, walmart) reverted back to pre-covid layout and rules, with only RCSS and walmart requesting you to wear a mask.

That's it. No crowd management (x number of people inside), no pathways. Even costco reverted back to the original layout. No queue anymore to any checkouts, nothing.

So what did the mass lockdown acomplish? Nothing, other than a delayed infection rate, with hospitals being empty and "ready" for covid for several months. But it bankrupted a ton of companies and jobs lost.

Canada doesn't do any green list from countries with low infection, just mass 14 day quarantine for anyone. I don't have stats but I'm sure even if there was no quarantine upon return, over 90% of infection would be from within community, not traveling.
10-15 years from now, our example will be used to either show how to manage a pandemic or how not to. My money is on the latter.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2564 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
reefer123 wrote: So cad us border closed for another month (I bet it will not opens this year)
The US/Canada land border being open is a moot point for most since Canadians can and always have been able to fly to the US. Sure, Americans can’t fly here but there was much more southern traffic demand anyways.

The 14 day quarantine required upon return is what is killing the travel industry. Airlines pushed for air bridges in the beginning of the summer and that was ignored. Until the 14 day quarantine is lifted or we find some other way to screen returning Canadians the industry is paralyzed.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35464 posts
9489 upvotes
Ottawa
reefer123 wrote: Yes I want this virus to go away "pronto" and have everything open !
Can not stand that quack Tam
Quack? Based on what?

For taking advice from the medical community?
For complying with epidemiologists?
For listening to doctors and health experts in Canada and internationally (except for the US)?
For using the most up to date information from experts, Canadian and international, to make announcements?
For being cautious?
For setting broad rules and regulations and letting Provinces refine and administer them?
For closing borders and restricting travel to prevent or lessen spreading of the virus?

Why is she a quack??
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
lpin14 wrote: 10-15 years from now, our example will be used to either show how to manage a pandemic or how not to. My money is on the latter.
It may not take that long...

Sweden's coronavirus pandemic 'may be finished': Danish researcher
https://www.thelocal.com/20200919/swede ... researcher
One of Denmark's most prominent epidemiology researchers has said that the coronavirus pandemic in Sweden "may be finished" due to immunity in the population, even through the country remains far from the classic 60 percent threshold.
"Just 20 percent immunity makes a pretty big difference, because those who were infected at the start of the epidemic were the most susceptible to the coronavirus and the most socially active,” Britton told Politiken.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1078 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
leoo wrote: It may not take that long...

Sweden's coronavirus pandemic 'may be finished': Danish researcher
https://www.thelocal.com/20200919/swede ... researcher
The Swedish model, which I'm an advocate off, is anathema to a lot of people who've been advocating lockdown all along and are now afraid they'll look like a bunch of ignoramus fools to change direction.

I'm not saying the Swedish model was perfect. They could have done a better job in elderly homes, but our lockdown did not spare the elderly either.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)