• Oct 20th, 2020 9:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35581 posts
9609 upvotes
Ottawa
reefer123 wrote: NAV Canada laying off ... who is next ?
Reduced air traffic, reduced requirement for services from NavCan.....no need for people to sit around collecting wages.
Critical services, weather, air traffic control and flight planning of course will not be affected but, administration will not be needed.
Will be interesting to see what is actually needed after the pandemic (as with all the travel industry).
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17742 posts
1281 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
leoo wrote: I'm not trying to convince people of anything, I'm just pointing out that there are other views opposed the official narrative.
The number of cases slowing down in Brazil with little restrictions is a FACT that will confirmed or disputed soon enough.
Perhaps it's time for me to take a break from this forum and enjoy my time working abroad. Great deals and fewer crowds so I can't complain. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

The above poster is a bitter and terrified person who likely lives in fear in the basement and yells at everyone who wants to travel and/or enjoy life.
He/she is going to have a breakdown when the borders eventually reopen or flu season comes.

konfusion666, if you're extremely vulnerable and part of the risk group, stay safe! People won't endure the hard lockdowns you want/need until a vaccine is widely distributed.
Honestly, I'm not sure what you're blathering on about since nothing you just said refuted the article I posted from Nature.com.

I'm glad you're withdrawing your participation from this thread since you don't appear to know how to participate, other than by calling people names.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
konfusion666 wrote: Honestly, I'm not sure what you're blathering on about since nothing you just said refuted the article I posted from Nature.com.
Not wasting my time with fear mongers like you anymore.
Good luck! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1118 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
There's an article in The Guardian (UK) that suggests that more countries want to avoid a second lock-down and move towards the Swedish approach.
Apr 8, 2020
269 posts
133 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: There's an article in The Guardian (UK) that suggests that more countries want to avoid a second lock-down and move towards the Swedish approach.
Nobody can afford 2nd lock down , any more $ and we become ... if not already ...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6852 posts
1291 upvotes
Scarborough
reefer123 wrote: NAV Canada laying off ... who is next ?
If this is coming, there’s no stopping the crash of all these and related ripple effects

All the Doctors still calling for lockdowns, their jobs seem safe forever. While the rest of us go unemployed with these shutdowns
Jul 30, 2015
655 posts
537 upvotes
You know it's bad when YYC apron, ground and tower is the same person.

At this point it is irresponsible of the government not helping the industry.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Aug 3, 2017
595 posts
411 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: You know it's bad when YYC apron, ground and tower is the same person.

Agree to a point. Also irresponsible for the industry to make any assumptions that things will be back to normal anytime soon. Some transitional layoffs and support to the companies for those who remain IMO is what needs to happen.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1062 posts
290 upvotes
Montréal
apnayloags wrote: While the rest of us go unemployed with these shutdowns
I'm a teacher. My job is safe too.
Apr 5, 2017
595 posts
424 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If this is so, there is no way that cruise ships will be a thing anymore.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35581 posts
9609 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: You know it's bad when YYC apron, ground and tower is the same person.

Westjet cutting employees salary, no longer topping up wages.
"WestJet Airlines Ltd. is warning workers receiving the federal wage subsidy they will see their pay cut by up to 53 per cent starting Sunday."
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wes ... f20e755b1d
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jul 30, 2015
655 posts
537 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Westjet cutting employees salary, no longer topping up wages.
"WestJet Airlines Ltd. is warning workers receiving the federal wage subsidy they will see their pay cut by up to 53 per cent starting Sunday."
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wes ... f20e755b1d
WestJet wasn’t topping up wages before, this just reflects changes made to CEWS by gov. The exact amount provided by CEWS still unknown yet, they are paying employees on CEWS 400$ per week until they have the answer from the government.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1123 posts
203 upvotes
Why help AC who refuses to cut more, and instead pay most of their workforce to do nothing? They have not streamlined their operation to the current climate, and are well overstaffed both below and above the wing. They have not cut any Band C and up managers in YYZ , instead paying them to do nothing all day. Their execs will just pocket it, while never paying customers back what they deserve. Not a single tax dollar should go their way.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35581 posts
9609 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: WestJet wasn’t topping up wages before, this just reflects changes made to CEWS by gov. The exact amount provided by CEWS still unknown yet, they are paying employees on CEWS 400$ per week until they have the answer from the government.
If they were not topping up, where did the money come from and from who?
Once again ""WestJet Airlines Ltd. is warning workers receiving the federal wage subsidy they will see their pay cut by up to 53 per cent starting Sunday.""