Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11656 posts
3137 upvotes
Kingston

Transfer 20K SPG pts to American Airlines get 34K AA pts

I started a thread in Hot Deals for this but since there is always lots of SPG discussion I thought putting a "pointer" to it here might be helpful.

AAdvantage® Bonus Mile Offer Terms And Conditions

To qualify for this AAdvantage® bonus mile offer, member must complete AAdvantage mileage conversions with eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants between 12:00 am CDT June 14, 2010 and 11:59 pm CDT June 30, 2010 (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles.

To earn the 25% conversion bonus, member must convert points from eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants that result in 1,000 - 20,000 AAdvantage miles within the Promotion Period. To earn the 35% conversion bonus, member must convert points from eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants that equate to 20,001 or more AAdvantage miles within the Promotion Period. Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer. This offer is non-transferable and non-reversible.

Bonus miles will be posted by American Airlines to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account within 7 business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by the eligible hotel program participant. Bonus miles earned in this promotion do not count toward elite status qualification.

Find all qualifying hotel partners here (the ones with the green diamonds beside them)
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1030 posts
297 upvotes
Brampton
This is a good offer IMHO. As I mentioned in the SPG Amex thread, AA miles are good redemption value on BA metal, since no fuel surcharge is charged. Their OneWorld distance-based awards are also good value in some cases and allow you a great amount of flexibility.

I already converted 60K SPG, expecting 101.25K AA. Contemplating if I should transfer more before the promo is up. Of course, the US Air 50% promo on hotel transfers is also on, so that's another option, for Star Alliance award travel.
Feb 6, 2008
106 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I'm loving the SPG card!! :D
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
learn the AA rules to loop in a week stop over in HNL on the way to asia and you will all be loving AA too....
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1644 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote: learn the AA rules to loop in a week stop over in HNL on the way to asia and you will all be loving AA too....
:?:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11656 posts
3137 upvotes
Kingston
mkjr wrote: learn the AA rules to loop in a week stop over in HNL on the way to asia and you will all be loving AA too....
HNL = Honolulu airport so mkjr is saying that if you know your way around AA rules you can arrange your ticket for some great (free?) stopovers on your way to your ultimate destination.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
JWL wrote: HNL = Honolulu airport so mkjr is saying that if you know your way around AA rules you can arrange your ticket for some great (free?) stopovers on your way to your ultimate destination.
...yup..sorry, and flyertalk can do this subject way more justice than i will know....but something like this could be done....if you like to fly....

YYZ-[chose the one that works best of ORD/DFW(LAX/SFO)]-HNL(stop over) –NRT/KIX(24 hours) – HKG (24 hours) - SIN....pretty sure it would be withing the maximum permitted miles....
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1030 posts
297 upvotes
Brampton
Transferred 60K SPG last week and showed up on Sunday:

06/14/10 AADVANTAGE HOTEL PT TO MLS BNS 0 26,250 26,250
06/14/10 STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST 0 75,000 75,000
May 9, 2005
878 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Does this actually give you better value than just using the SPG points? Any comparisons available for % return etc. I tried looking but from what I saw it would be better to keep them as SPG points?

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11656 posts
3137 upvotes
Kingston
Gooner wrote: Does this actually give you better value than just using the SPG points? Any comparisons available for % return etc. I tried looking but from what I saw it would be better to keep them as SPG points?

Thanks!
Yes it is better than just an SPG points transfer.

If you transfer 20K points, SPG will send 25K.

AA will receive the 25K and give you an extra 35% or 6.25K for a total of 33.75K.

Up to you whether it is better to have more AA points now or SPG points later.