Personal Finance

Transfer bank account balance to another bank - best method?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2022 3:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4890 posts
955 upvotes
Georgetown

Transfer bank account balance to another bank - best method?

Edit - complete brainfart! Of course Interac works to transfer the funds...

Still have a problem with the daily limit being $3000... I guess it will take 3 days for me to drain the account. Would love to get it all out at once to avoid any issues with a monthly fee being charged due to a day or two under the 5K free banking limit... probably not an issue if I close the account fast enough, but who knows.

Any suggestions for other way to transfer the balance are welcome... I don't have a physical cheque, otherwise I could write a cheque to myself and deposit it easily... is there a way to generate a cheque with the bank transit and account numbers, etc. to enable this method?

I knew I should have ordered the free cheques when I opened the account... heh
Last edited by Tiberius on Dec 2nd, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6806 posts
6962 upvotes
What's wrong with eTransferring to yourself?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2440 posts
3210 upvotes
Of course you can send an Interac e-Transfer to yourself. Just make sure the email you use isn't set to autodeposit for the old account.

As long as the amount is within the Interac e-transfer limits set by your SENDING Bank, or you may have to break up into multiple transfers over a few days. Make sure your sending account doesn't have any e-transfer fees if you're taking the balance down to zero.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4890 posts
955 upvotes
Georgetown
Yeah... complete brain fart on my part on how the e-transfer works! LOL

Thanks!