• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2021 9:39 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2011
18 posts
12 upvotes
Scarborough

Transfer Bell landline to Telus mobility

I’m trying to port a Bell landline to Telus. Telus CSR was really helpful but the port request was returned with error after several attempts- service address does not match Bell data.
I confirmed with Bell that the service address is the same as the billing address. The guy at Bell suggested I should cancel the landline so the number can be released to Telus. I’m not sure if this is true. Do you have similar experience? What can I do to get this resolved?
Last edited by bbcheche on May 5th, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2504 posts
208 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you cancel Bell landline (the number you want to port out), you can't port out as the number connect to the landline would be "cancelled" and becomes inactive.

A longer process but "easier" at the end .... Try "converting" your landline number to cellphone (Bell landline to Bell cellphone) which is easier for them "within" the system. Then once port/changed over [Landline to cellphone] ... port that number [Bell cellphone to Telus cellphone]

Landline to Cell is much more "complicated" then Cellphone to Cellphone
[OP]
Feb 19, 2011
18 posts
12 upvotes
Scarborough
win-star wrote: If you cancel Bell landline (the number you want to port out), you can't port out as the number connect to the landline would be "cancelled" and becomes inactive.

A longer process but "easier" at the end .... Try "converting" your landline number to cellphone (Bell landline to Bell cellphone) which is easier for them "within" the system. Then once port/changed over [Landline to cellphone] ... port that number [Bell cellphone to Telus cellphone]

Landline to Cell is much more "complicated" then Cellphone to Cellphone
Good to know. If I go for the Bell landline to Bell cell phone option, is it possible to transfer the line to a Bell pre-paid plan or it has to be on a monthly plan?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2504 posts
208 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bbcheche wrote: Good to know. If I go for the Bell landline to Bell cell phone option, is it possible to transfer the line to a Bell pre-paid plan or it has to be on a monthly plan?
Pre-paid will also work, doesn't have to be a monthly plan.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2652 posts
800 upvotes
bbcheche wrote: I’m trying to port a Bell landline to Telus. Telus CSR was really helpful but the port request was returned with error after several attempts- service address does not match Bell data.
I confirmed with Bell that the service address is the same as the billing address. The guy at Bell suggested I should cancel the landline so the number can be released to Telus. I’m not sure if this is true. Do you have similar experience? What can I do to get this resolved?
LMAO Bell actually suggested you to cancel to release the number? Wow not very bright are they? Porting a land line to cell phone requires EXACT name and address. Maybe Telus mispelled something?
Apr 19, 2014
182 posts
175 upvotes
Markham, ON
bbcheche wrote: I’m trying to port a Bell landline to Telus. Telus CSR was really helpful but the port request was returned with error after several attempts- service address does not match Bell data.
I have the EXACT same issue.

Porting an active BELL landline to TELUS mobility.

DON'T CANCEL ANYTHING!

Ask the TELUS customer service rep to contact their helpdesk.
Their helpdesk porting department will need to send an e-mail to process this manually.
Apparently, it will take 2-3 days for an update.

My porting process started yesterday, I will update this thread when I get new info.
Apr 19, 2014
182 posts
175 upvotes
Markham, ON
Just an update.

My port to Telus Mobile from Bell landline was competed successfully this morning.

Tuesday night around 11pm et submitted the request online, and it failed.

Wednesday around 1pm called Telus. Client care rep got an error saying the Bell number couldn’t be found. They assumed it’s an issue on the Bell account, but I knew that wasn’t the case as the Bell account was fine. I had the client care rep contact her Helpdesk to escalate the request. They submitted the request manually via email.

Friday morning port competed.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1858 posts
1333 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bbcheche wrote: The guy at Bell suggested I should cancel the landline so the number can be released to Telus. I’m not sure if this is true.
That's a mistake (or wrong information).

You cancel any phone plan prior to the porting and you lose that phone number whether you're porting from one cellphone carrier to another cellphone carrier or a landline carrier to a VoIP carrier (or vice versa) or a landline carrier to a cellphone carrier (or vice versa).

Once you cancel your phone plan, you no longer own that number and it goes into a "bank" of numbers which can't be used/selected by carriers for a specific amount of time (I think it is 30 days but might be longer). Also, I believe that the phone number goes back to the "original carrier/provider"... by this I mean that if I had a Bell landline which I ported to a Vonage VoIP line and then ported that number to Fido wireless home service and then ported it to Telus cellphone, once I cancel the plan with Telus, the number returns to Bell in their landline available numbers after the specified period of time and only Bell landline would be able to give it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5883 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
ABsolutely correct - IF YOU CANCEL. YOU WILL NOT GET THAT NUMBER BACK.

PS: Why not go VOIP option? I switched over Bell land line to voip.ms - its literally pennies to have that. Just one time setup (great thread on RFD or feel free to contact me).
Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10

Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!

Help is what I do :)
[OP]
Feb 19, 2011
18 posts
12 upvotes
Scarborough
Update: I messaged Telus again the next day. It took awhile to put through the request on their end but eventually they got it resolved. The landline was ported to Telus successfully in three days.
I highly recommend Telus online chat service.

I’m glad that I don’t have to deal with Bell anymore. The Bell CSR I dealt with was unprofessional and rude. I was deeply in doubt when he offered to cancel the phone line. Thank god I checked with you guys. Thanks everyone. Grinning Face