Transfer Car Ownership - BC

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2020 12:32 am
Dec 17, 2017
86 posts

Transfer Car Ownership - BC

A family member is gifting me a vehicle. I have BCAA optional coverage on my current vehicle. In order to transfer insurance to new car do I need to go to a BCAA location or any auto plan broker.

2 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2009
2168 posts
North Vancouver
Your local autoplan agent will get you sorted.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6286 posts
A local autoplan agent will not be able to transfer your BCAA optional coverage.

Unless they choose to phone the BCAA 800 number on your behalf as a value-added service. Unlikely.

More likely they will want to quote you on the optional product they do sell.

Either they or a BCAA location can handle the APV9T form to register and licence the gifted vehicle with ICBC Basic coverage, but only a BCAA location can do the BCAA Optional coverage.

Take your pick:
- go to an Autoplan Agent to do the transfer, get new plates, Basic insurance and then phone BCAA, or,
- go to a BCAA location and do everything in one step