• May 2nd, 2021 6:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes

Transfer Engineering license from CDN to US

Hi Guys,

I am P.Eng in Canada. looking to get PE in US, any state will do. Since I am thinking of moving down south for job.

I know that there is some kind of agreement between Texas and Canada. Can anyone shed some light on it ? what is the easiest state to get license from? I may have to do FE and PE exam.

anyone went through similar process? please advise
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2464 posts
856 upvotes
You WILL have to do both the FE and PE Exams. No maybe about it.

Contact the licensing agency in your state of choice and ask what information they need. Then pay them money and send them the information.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: You WILL have to do both the FE and PE Exams. No maybe about it.

Contact the licensing agency in your state of choice and ask what information they need. Then pay them money and send them the information.
I am in Canada. I want to get PE before i move there would be easier to get job with PE
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2464 posts
856 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: I am in Canada. I want to get PE before i move there would be easier to get job with PE
Then you will have to arrange all the paperwork remotely, and then arrange to take the tests as well. Canadian engineers aren't recognized in the US - you must write the exams. The work experience part will be accepted, or a minimum of work in the US before professional licensing may be required.

But like in Canada, where each province has its rules, in the US it would be best to contact the engineering body in the state you are interested in moving to (remotely, over the phone, from canada), and get all the precise requirements from them in detail.
Jul 13, 2015
39 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
ironbrah wrote: Hi Guys,

I am P.Eng in Canada. looking to get PE in US, any state will do. Since I am thinking of moving down south for job.

I know that there is some kind of agreement between Texas and Canada. Can anyone shed some light on it ? what is the easiest state to get license from? I may have to do FE and PE exam.

Texas is definitely the easiest. They will recognize your education and work experience. You will have to write the PE exam though. Once your licensed in Texas, getting licensed in other states usually just requires work experience, and no more exams or schooling.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35353 posts
4389 upvotes
Winnipeg
ironbrah wrote: Hi Guys,

go back to alberta once the oil recovers?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
divx wrote: go back to alberta once the oil recovers?
i doubt it, oil is controlled by Saudi. Even they are diversifying.

Also Texas got nice weather, cheaper and US dollar is worth more.

Seems like a nice place to move.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35353 posts
4389 upvotes
Winnipeg
ironbrah wrote: i doubt it, oil is controlled by Saudi. Even they are diversifying.

Also Texas got nice weather, cheaper and US dollar is worth more.

Seems like a nice place to move.
if it works out, i may come down as well
Banned
Feb 25, 2016
307 posts
85 upvotes
Does PE really matter in the US? Everything I read on American forums is that nobody cares if you have a PE unless you are doing civil work for the government.

I guess if you are Canadian, it might help to get through HR though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
BernardMarx wrote: Does PE really matter in the US? Everything I read on American forums is that nobody cares if you have a PE unless you are doing civil work for the government.

I guess if you are Canadian, it might help to get through HR though.
If you do not have a PE license, you cannot officially call yourself an engineer -- and your company cannot identify you as an engineer -- in official documents, such as business cards, letterheads and resumes.
Banned
Feb 25, 2016
307 posts
85 upvotes
I'd look deeper into that if I were you. My understanding is that almost no engineers are licensed down there, unless the main customer is some level of government.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35353 posts
4389 upvotes
Winnipeg
^that's what i thought as well
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3646 posts
1189 upvotes
Edmonton
divx wrote: go back to alberta once the oil recovers?
The companies are hiring like crazy right now. What recovery? It's already going up! We just got 300 new hires on the last week and a half
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: The companies are hiring like crazy right now. What recovery? It's already going up! We just got 300 new hires on the last week and a half

What company? PM me. Hook me up
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3646 posts
1189 upvotes
Edmonton
Ledcor. Jvdriver. Right here in jacos. Ledcor in fort hills.

I know the site c dam construction started last year and this fall should be massive hiring.

It's 3g a week after tax here. More if you get JM
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35353 posts
4389 upvotes
Winnipeg
tmkf_patryk wrote: The companies are hiring like crazy right now. What recovery? It's already going up! We just got 300 new hires on the last week and a half
who are you kidding? I applies to them before and they didn't call me back, there is no work in the west right now and for the last year. 3g a week is definitely a call to move back, if exists.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3646 posts
1189 upvotes
Edmonton
What position you looking for? And when did you apply?
its up to 1k/day up at kearl for shutdown. 10 day shutdown happening real soon
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: What position you looking for? And when did you apply?
its up to 1k/day up at kearl for shutdown. 10 day shutdown happening real soon
Is it a union job? I know lot of shutdowns are name hired. Welcome to the world of nepotism
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3646 posts
1189 upvotes
Edmonton
Not a union job. No name hire type.
Nov 25, 2019
1 posts
Found this oneline

If I am currently licensed in another country, can I gain licensure in Texas by reciprocity?

The Act allows for reciprocity between Texas and other countries, but the agreements in place at this time are limited to temporary licensure only. Texas has temporary license agreements with Mexico, Canada, and Australia based on the NAFTA and AUSFTA free trade agreements. The temporary license is good for one year, and may be renewed only two times. For a standard license, one must pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.