Expired Hot Deals

Transfer Marriott Point to Aeroplan 35% bonus (Great deal for Amex Cobalt), Mini Aeroplan Guide in OP, Expire June 26

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 2:34 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3017 posts
227 upvotes
Does anyone know if you can transfer/convert to a different name from Marriott to Aeroplan?
Would be hot if I could combine all our transfers into a single Aeroplan account
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
Oct 24, 2011
594 posts
266 upvotes
Niagara Falls
philelmo wrote: Does anyone know if you can transfer/convert to a different name from Marriott to Aeroplan?
Would be hot if I could combine all our transfers into a single Aeroplan account
I was thinking of same... so I was gonna switch from my wife's Marriottt to my Aeroplan.. I mean I don't think it matters because i'm only putting Account name... but has anyone done this?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1950 posts
1007 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks very much OP. First off, this is a great deal that I will be taking advantage of. I got 60K in welcome points from Marriott when I signed up some time ago for the SPG Amex card (another RFD deal). That has built up to over 70K since. Second, your post was well laid out and very well explained and third, even though I've been using Aeroplan for many years - since the late 80s - I learned a few things from your post. I'd upvote this post more than once if I could! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Dec 19, 2007
266 posts
46 upvotes
epinephrine wrote: Wish the promo was longer. It takes up to 5 business days according to AMEX to transfer from MR-S to Marriot Bonvoy
For what it's worth, my transfer from MR-S to Bonvoy was pretty quick - only a couple days if I recall.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
488 posts
641 upvotes
philelmo wrote: Does anyone know if you can transfer/convert to a different name from Marriott to Aeroplan?
ESJExplorer wrote: I was thinking of same... so I was gonna switch from my wife's Marriottt to my Aeroplan.. I mean I don't think it matters because i'm only putting Account name... but has anyone done this?
I'm fairly sure this is allowed.

You are not really allowed to transfer your aeroplan between aeroplan accounts.
But you are allowed to transfer different amex MR to same aeroplan, and also Marriott to same aeroplan.

I believe I've read multiple datapoints of these types of things working.

The terms and condition also doesn't say name must match.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/ ... .mi#redeem

Also, you can transfer Marriott points between accounts for free, but that may be slower.

Edit:

New data point suggests that transfer is instant between Marriott Accounts.
Last edited by xx1what on Jun 20th, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3017 posts
227 upvotes
Thanks, I will do this and it will make redeeming AP much easier
xx1what wrote: I'm fairly sure this is allowed.

You are not really allowed to transfer your aeroplan between aeroplan accounts.
But you are allowed to transfer different amex MR to same aeroplan, and also Marriott to same aeroplan.

I believe I've read multiple datapoints of these types of things working.

The terms and condition also doesn't say name must match.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/ ... .mi#redeem
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8069 posts
1009 upvotes
Vancouver
While certainly aeroplan in business is the best way to use the points. 35000 Marriott points is a. Night at. A very nice hotel in prime season. Like whistler ($500) no taxes and good availability.

That said I may bite on this one
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Apr 4, 2017
946 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
How much would i get if i transfer out 100k Marriot points to Aeroplan?

all my points are in marriott.com site. is there difference between marriott points or marriott bonvoy?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3017 posts
227 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: How much would i get if i transfer out 100k Marriot points to Aeroplan?

all my points are in marriott.com site. is there difference between marriott points or marriott bonvoy?
No difference mpoints and mbonvoy

You would get 33333.33 + 5000bonus points
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
488 posts
641 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: How much would i get if i transfer out 100k Marriot points to Aeroplan?

Transfer in 60k chunks, for 33750 aeroplan

Transfer an additional 40k is most likely bad value.
You get 13333 + 35% = 18k aeroplan

40k Marriott ~ $320
18k aeroplan ~ $252

If you are sure you will have no ties with marriott ever again, or you plan on a trip with aeroplan and need 18k aeroplan, then do this.
Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend this, as you are losing about $50 in value.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3355 posts
766 upvotes
philelmo wrote: No difference mpoints and mbonvoy

You would get 33333.33 + 5000bonus points
Negative. They'd get 33,333 + 11,667 + 5,000 = 50,000.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
488 posts
641 upvotes
hvc wrote: Negative. They'd get 33,333 + 11,667 + 5,000 = 50,000.
You are slightly off.
The 35% bonus is put on after 5k bonus miles.
(This is the reason why you have to transfer in 60k increments, or else you lose out 35% on 5k bonus miles, which is 1750 aeroplan)

So it would go
100000 Marriot -> 33333 aeroplan + 5000

Then 38333 * 1.35 = 51750 aeroplan
Exactly 1750 more than your calculation.

However, notice that the extra 40k Marriott used to transfer, did not get 5k bonus, nor the 35% on the 5k bonus.
This is why, the extra 40k is questionable choice, while converting in 60k chunks gives you the best value.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3355 posts
766 upvotes
xx1what wrote: You are slightly off.
The 35% bonus is put on after 5k bonus miles.
(This is the reason why you have to transfer in 60k increments, or else you lose out 35% on 5k bonus miles, which is 1750 aeroplan)

So it would go
100000 Marriot -> 33333 aeroplan + 5000

Then 38333 * 1.35 = 51750 aeroplan
Exactly 1750 more than your calculation.

However, notice that the extra 40k Marriott used to transfer, did not get 5k bonus, nor the 35% on the 5k bonus.
This is why, the extra 40k is questionable choice, while converting in 60k chunks gives you the best value.
Ahh, I tried to figure out why your calc came in about 1,750 points higher - makes sense!
Dec 4, 2007
828 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
xx1what wrote: Also, you can transfer Marriott points between accounts for free, but that may be slower, so I don't really think this is an option at this time for this promo.
I just transferred Marriott points (up to 100k per year) from my wife's account to mine earlier this week and the transfer was completed pretty much instantly after calling in.