Expired Hot Deals

Transfer Marriott Point to Aeroplan 35% bonus (Great deal for Amex Cobalt), Mini Aeroplan Guide in OP, Expire June 26

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 2:34 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2295 posts
782 upvotes
Winnipeg
I transferred my 1st batch of 60K today. I Have 2 more sets to do, can I do them later today or do I have to wait till tomorrow?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1611 posts
410 upvotes
xx1what wrote: Yes, I believe you can stopover up to 365 days (up to booking the whole available ticket, which is bookable ~365 days in advance)

It counts as a single ticket.
It's even listed on aeroplan.com when you select 'multi-city'

A 3 leg trip or 4 leg trip, would be charged the same rate as a standard roundtrip ticket.
Tried a multi city booking with a stop over (A->B->C->A, but it essentially charges two round trip points 75,000 x 2 = 150,000 pts....but does give me an seemingly unlimited stop over in city B. Is that what people are referring to? Or should it only charge 75,000pts
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
513 posts
676 upvotes
Shadow Rider wrote: Tried a multi city booking with a stop over (A->B->C->A, but it essentially charges two round trip points 75,000 x 2 = 150,000 pts....but does give me an seemingly unlimited stop over in city B. Is that what people are referring to? Or should it only charge 75,000pts
It should only charge 75k points.

I'm not sure what went wrong for you.
Care to elaborate?
Dec 23, 2012
246 posts
218 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
has this promo happened before? I don't have 60k :(
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3044 posts
720 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks! I have so many points from cobalt and this is the best time.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1932 posts
822 upvotes
HK
adler386 wrote: I took the plunge with my 480k Marriott points.
I scanned through the thread (and T&Cs) quickly it did not see a cap anywhere on the bonus. Did you happen to confirm this anywhere? I would do the same as you.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4643 posts
1318 upvotes
xx1what wrote: I hate to tell you this, but your folks got scammed.

There's a reason why air canada's "carrier surcharge" is called scam-taxes.

That's also the reason why Aeroplan is getting sued in a class action lawsuit in Quebec for their scam-taxes.
(I believe international travelers do not qualify for this class action lawsuit, as Air Canada does not run a monopoly on international routes. They sort of do run a monopoly in Canada, and you can seek compensation if you live in Quebec and paid scam-taxes on Canadian flights.)

But for most of us, the way to use aeroplan is to not book air Canada. The "carrier surcharge" will be cut in half at least if only a portion of the flight was on air canada.
It would be the lowest if the entire flight is not with air canada, and there would be minimal carrier surcharge.

United is the main choice with low carrier surcharges.
There are also EVA air, ANA just to name a few.

Although, you still need to pay airport fees, 9-11 security fees etc.

As for Marriott 4 night + 1 free night.
Essentially you get 25% more value out of Marriott points, by getting the 5th free night.
But if you value 0.8c for Marriott, this still only boosts it to 1c per point.

So the potential for Marriott value is very limited.

You could get more value than 1c per point if you stay at expensive properties, 60k+ a night, compared to cash price.
But that value is questionable if you don't value the stay at the cash price.
From my limited experience EVA is the best star alliance airline you can book, if award seats are available, with aeroplan miles. Never encountered lower taxes/fees.

For Marriott related properties, it really depends on the property. With stay 4 and get 5th free, I have easily gotten 1.5 to 2 cents per Bonvoy in Asia properties. Bonvoy value goes even much higher if you have plat status in Asia.
Oct 12, 2005
360 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
if you dont need to use aeroplan now i dont see a benefit in doing this as you are not really gaining (value wise) buy transferring them. Also in June of next yr when Air Can takes over this, you can all be assured that the points will somehow loose value and the program be nerfed ( they have been doing surveys about the new program).
3028 posts
238 upvotes
it really depends how you travel and what is more important to you
I never stay in a city more than 3-4 nights and only use cheaper hotels or airbnb. So Marriott is not useful to me
Aeroplan on the other hand is perfect if you want to hop many places in the same continent for no extra cost. Or if you need to go somewhere, and the prices are not "in season", than using points is a great way to save your cash
Aeroplan also requires more planning and flying on specific airlines. You pretty much need to plan 3months in advance to get the best reward tickets with less taxes. Marriott is much easier to book reward nights
既生瑜,何生亮?

Ebay Feedback
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
513 posts
676 upvotes
Datapoint:

Successfully transferred points from 2 different Marriott accounts to the same Aeroplan account.

Initiated transfer on Friday, points arrived in aeroplan on Sunday.

Bonus has not shown up, as terms (in the link) states bonus will arrive up to several weeks later.

Mosho1 wrote: has this promo happened before? I don't have 60k :(
They almost never have 35% bonus as public offer. They had 30% bonus in April.

Most likely another bonus offer this fall/winter.
May 18, 2017
411 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have no immediate vacation plans for the next year or so atm.

Is it worth it for me to transfer my 68k marriot points to aeroplan to take advantage of this promo?

I know it varies for everyone but some advice would be appreciated!
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
513 posts
676 upvotes
whatyoulookinatbud wrote: I have no immediate vacation plans for the next year or so atm.

Is it worth it for me to transfer my 68k marriot points to aeroplan to take advantage of this promo?

I know it varies for everyone but some advice would be appreciated!
It depends on how often you travel and are you already an aeroplan collector.

The more miles you have, any extra miles you can get becomes more valuable.

However, there are multiple ways to get aeroplan miles:

flying
amex gold perkopolis first year free 25k MR to 25k aeroplan
amex cobalt (from gold referral) 30k MRS to ~ 20k aeroplan (with this promo) + 5k MR from referral
td aeroplan infinite first year free 25k aeroplan
td aeroplan platinum first year free 15k aeroplan

Since air canada basically run a monopoly in canada, it is a good idea to become a collector, now is the best time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8102 posts
1035 upvotes
Vancouver
misterlamed wrote: Are the points going to be added towards the altitude status?
It would be way to easy to get status if these counted as aqs
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Aug 16, 2015
752 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
xx1what wrote: It depends on how often you travel and are you already an aeroplan collector.

The more miles you have, any extra miles you can get becomes more valuable.

However, there are multiple ways to get aeroplan miles:

flying
amex gold perkopolis first year free 25k MR to 25k aeroplan
amex cobalt (from gold referral) 30k MRS to ~ 20k aeroplan (with this promo) + 5k MR from referral
td aeroplan infinite first year free 25k aeroplan
td aeroplan platinum first year free 15k aeroplan

Since air canada basically run a monopoly in canada, it is a good idea to become a collector, now is the best time.
Can you get the TD aero plat and qualify for the 15k if you are already holding the TD aero infinite? The terms and conditions seem to suggest no, but what are peoples' experience on that?