Transfer of Ownership question

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 9:52 am
[OP]
Sep 8, 2021
2 posts

Transfer of Ownership question

Hi guys

Service Ontario is closed so I thought I'd ask here for anyone that's done this recently (need to find out asap)

Required documents according to Service Ontario site
-a completed Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
-proof of Ontario vehicle insurance
-your Ontario driver’s licence
-Safety Standards Certificate (this is not required for spouse-to-spouse transfers, but you must complete a spousal declaration)
-Vehicle Ownership Permit with the completed portion on the back
-a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (only permitted between spouses, parents and children)

My father is transferring a vehicle to me, and I have all of the above except the safety standards certificate. One of the mechanics I spoke to said I don't need a safety standards certificate if my father is transferring the vehicle to me (son). Is this the case, or are spouse-spouse transfers only exempt from the safety test?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1657 posts
575 upvotes
Oakville
NaveenV wrote: Hi guys

Service Ontario is closed so I thought I'd ask here for anyone that's done this recently (need to find out asap)

Required documents according to Service Ontario site
-a completed Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
-proof of Ontario vehicle insurance
-your Ontario driver’s licence
-Safety Standards Certificate (this is not required for spouse-to-spouse transfers, but you must complete a spousal declaration)
-Vehicle Ownership Permit with the completed portion on the back
-a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (only permitted between spouses, parents and children)

My father is transferring a vehicle to me, and I have all of the above except the safety standards certificate. One of the mechanics I spoke to said I don't need a safety standards certificate if my father is transferring the vehicle to me (son). Is this the case, or are spouse-spouse transfers only exempt from the safety test?
Your mechanic is wrong.
The website and the spousal declaration form are very clear.

This is the definition of spouse on the actual spousal declaration form, [sarcasm] so you are good to go if the son and father meet the definition of bring each others spouse[/sarcasm], otherwise, you need to go and get a safety certificate.
For the purpose of determining eligibility, “spouse” has the same meaning as in Part III of the Family Law Act, as stated below:
Either of two persons who:
(a) are married to each other; or
(b) have together entered into a marriage that is voidable or void, in good faith on the part of a person relying on this clause to assert any right;
or
Either of two persons who are not married to each other and have cohabited,
(a) continuously for a period of not less than three years; or
(b) in a relationship of some permanence, if they are the natural or adoptive parents of a child.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2021
2 posts
Thank you, I had a feeling he was mixing up the spouse exemption